displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Correct bolt strength?
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
As I've been rebuilding various parts on the car there have been a few places where I'd much rather replace any washers and bolts with new ones rather than nob about putting the rusty old ones back on. However, I'm always careful about doing so as I don't know what the "standard" strength bolts are, and I'd rather run an old-but-standard bolt than a new-but-underrated one.

I got Swampy's 12.9 grade pinch bolts and whilst I'm happy to pay for those, I'm sure as hell not paying a quid a bolt everywhere on the car. (By the way, Swampy's ones are very reasonably priced, 12.9 grade bolts really are very expensive, I'm not saying he's overcharging or anything).

So what's "standard"? I can get Screwfix "High Tensile" bolts nice and cheap, but they're only 8.8 grade which can only take half the torque of a 12.9. However, for all I know 8.8 might be absolutely fine and more than strong enough for any application, brakes or suspension. Or it might be a case than the standard ones are only 8.8 anyway. Or it could be that someone in the know would break down in tears at the thought of using mere 8.8's to hold your brakes on.

I'm obviously weary of replacing the bolts that hold the brakes or suspension on, for example, without knowing what's acceptable. The classic schoolboy is to go for nice shiny Stainless ones, which tend to have the tensile capacity of a carrot.

Little bolts to hold on interior parts and such I'll just use Screwfix ones, but I don't like the idea of completely refurbishing my rear beam just to put the crappy old bolts back on. I know I could get them from Pug, but then you're back to paying a quid a bolt.

Anyone who has any experience I'd be most appreciative.

Must dash now before the missus finds out I'm starting a conversation about bolts and offers up a pre-marital divorce.

O.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 24th Jul 2010 at 01:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Most of the suspension bolts are 10.9 grade, stronger than 8.8 but less prone to the corrosion cracking that 12.9's suffer from.

Droplinks and the like are generally 8.8 strength, strut tops are 10.9 as standard but frankly you could use a bolt made out of matchsticks up there.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 24th Jul 2010 at 03:52
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Cheers Phillip, that's really handy.

Does anyone have any ideas of places to buy the 10.9s cheaply in bulk?

O.

Posted 24th Jul 2010 at 23:00
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #4
The proble with buying bulk is you only need a couple of each size so your left with loads spare.
Let me know which you want and ill make a set up for you.
Posted 24th Jul 2010 at 23:15
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I was really hoping to get some kind of selection box like Screwfix do, where you can just have ten or so of various sizes and lengths. Even if I have to cut bolts down to fit, it means I have them to hand.

It's not for a specific purpose as such, just for when working on the car generally.

Posted 25th Jul 2010 at 00:18
mr swampy s16

**BAD SELLER**

Post #6
The problem with alot of those multi size boxes particualy from the likes of screw fix is that they are normaly 8.8 grade
Posted 25th Jul 2010 at 00:21
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Well quite, that's the best I've been able to find so far, hence the original question really.

Posted 25th Jul 2010 at 00:38