displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Wide / Narrow band lambda
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
While looking for an AFR gauge(digital) I've stumbled across these 2 types of lambdas. So I started wondering since the AFR gauge I'm willing to buy is not for cars with wideband-sensor.

so
1: what's the difference between them wide/narrowband sensors?

2: what type is the one used on the xu engines?

3: how the hell do you connect such a gauge?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 4th Jul 2010 at 02:20
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
My gauge came with a new lamda and a boss so I will run two, my one ois wide band and i have been told thats the one to go for
Posted 4th Jul 2010 at 02:51
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
A wideband sensor can accurately measure air to fuel ratios from about 4:1 to 20:1 or so.
A narrowband can only tell you whether it's richer or leaner than 14.7:1.

The stock one on the XU is a narrowband.
However, a gauge on a narrowband is basically useless, because of the above.
If you're wanting a gauge, you really want one with a wideband sensor as a kit for it to be useful.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 4th Jul 2010 at 02:54
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Very useful answer Thumbs up

The reason for getting an AFR gauge is because I've got the impression that the car is running lean/rich at certain times. (mpg is off the charts too)
I'm relating this to the fact that it's running a decat but has 2lambda's (1before and 1after the 'cat', I assume both are narrowband?) and so is f*cking up it's own injection...

So a narrowband one should suffice for the purpose of checking if it runs lean/optimal/rich?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 4th Jul 2010 at 03:08
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Not really as it'll always run richer than 14.7:1 under load, but you won't know how much.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 4th Jul 2010 at 03:12
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
an extra question here, the 'O2 sensor signal'

which colour is this on the plug of the lambda?
I see red/green/white/yellow

logics are telling me red & yellow are battery and ignition switch

so white could be ground and green the O2 sensor signal?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 15th Jul 2010 at 02:25
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
anyone?

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
Posted 16th Jul 2010 at 19:48
ryanmt

Post #8
I cant remember off the top of my head but if you set your multimeter on each pin, its the one that will vary from 0.1v to 0.8v usually.

If needs be you can build your own wideband controller fairly cheap (google jaw wideband) and pick up a sensor from most new VW/Audis etc as they have wind bands as standard.
Posted 1st Aug 2010 at 22:13