displaying posts 26 to 43 of 43

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Oil Cooler
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Just to add on to this thread, decided to swap my 13 row oil cooler for a 19 one after seeing the temps both lee and stans cars hit at fcs,

Should solve the problem mainly will be doing track work, also having the turbo i assume the oil will get hotter than a supercharged one, hence the need for a change

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 16th Jun 2010 at 03:27
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
I have a 19 row mocal cooler fitted (the wider one) right in the middle with full air flow. On track at FCS my oil went up to around 115*c.
I'm using Total Q7000 10W40.
The thermostatic plate is always open a small amount but opens up more when it gets upto temperature doesnt it?

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th Jun 2010 at 03:35
binkagti

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
What engine you running mate?

TEAM Supercharged Rallye

Posted 16th Jun 2010 at 03:41
swiftyboi006

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Theres a possibility that there could just be a fault with your dash and nothing wrong with the cooler at all, but wouldnt risk not looking into it further then going on track you could sieze

cherry p1.....SOLD (regreting this)
blaze p2.....why did i buy this SOLD
Black p3 Love
Posted 16th Jun 2010 at 17:45
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
thread bump but did you get this problem sorted in the end lee?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 19th Oct 2010 at 22:15
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
allesclar wrote:
thread bump but did you get this problem sorted in the end lee?

Still looking into this at the moment, looking into changing the cooler this week and if that still doesn't work then i may look to get a new oil pump.

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 25th Apr 2011 at 01:18
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Mild thread hijack..
Is £120 a reasonable price for a 13 row Mocal kit??

see link

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 02:22
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
ive got oil cooler pipe work forsale in my "few bits" forsale thread.

/thread highjack

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 02:41
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
yes thats a good price, alot of people sell used kits for around £100 lol might aswell get the new kit for a few quid more.

Team allesclar ®

Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 02:47
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
If it was me i would personally pay a little more and get the thermostatic sandwich plate version.
I would also aim to get a bigger cooler than 13 row aswell, but that's just my 2 cents worth and it totally depends on what you want to use the car for.

I think i just paid £180 odd for a new thermostatic sandwich plate, 2m of braided oil line, mocal mounting kit, jubilee clips, the hose ends to suit jubilee clips and two 13 row 235mm oil radiators. The radiators arent Mocal ones but look plenty good enough. My radiators were made by gdmheat on ebay and were about £32 each Wink

Goldie the track car.
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 03:22
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
i got a 13 row cooler with a sandwich plate on my 205 track car, the cooler runs side by side with the rad so unrestrictive airflow and the spa gauge reads around 92 degree on track which is perfect

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 03:26
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
prism7guy wrote:
If it was me i would personally pay a little more and get the thermostatic sandwich plate version.
I would also aim to get a bigger cooler than 13 row aswell, but that's just my 2 cents worth and it totally depends on what you want to use the car for.

I think i just paid £180 odd for a new thermostatic sandwich plate, 2m of braided oil line, mocal mounting kit, jubilee clips, the hose ends to suit jubilee clips and two 13 row 235mm oil radiators. The radiators arent Mocal ones but look plenty good enough. My radiators were made by gdmheat on ebay and were about £32 each Wink

agree, i will be getting one in a few months but it will be 19 row with a sandwitch plate. can never have enough cooling.

how much more oil does it use roughly?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 03:31
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
not a massive amount more, a 5L tub will still do the engine and cooler.

can have to much cooling though, oil needs to be a good 70 degree before its at its optimum film strength from memory

309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 03:33
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
I wonder why my diablo lets the oil get so toasty with its 19 row cooler then. Its oerfect on the roads and sits at about 80c when driving regularly, and rarely gets above 90c if having a play, but on track is sticks to 120-125c after a few laps.

The thermostatic plate in my new setup should prevent it from being over cooled with the dual radiators hopefully Smile

Goldie the track car.
Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 16:12
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Lee,

Your oil cooler itself definitely is working.

There’s lots of things you’re not considering here, and comparing it to Stan’s car for example is not an “apples with apples” comparison.

Stan’s car is high-boost, yours is low-boost. Stan’s engine has been purposely built to mitigate and dissipate heat more effectively than your standard engine. For example, it has a substantially lower compression ratio which results in lower combustion chamber temperatures (despite running more boost), we use bearings with larger running clearances on the bottom end to increase oil flow and provide better cooling to the crankshaft and rods, and the list goes on. The measures all contribute to an engine that manages heat much more effectively. So it’s not really valid comparing it with yours.

The first thing I would look at is your oil temperature sensor, and check the output temperature actually corresponds to the oil temperature.

If it does, I would then look at the rest of your cooling system.

Do you still have the OEM water / oil heat exchanger fitted? Make sure you have this fitted, and make sure it’s not been capped off or anything. Even with a dedicated air / oil cooler, from my experience these still help tremendously, and I would never remove it. As soon as the oil temperature overtakes the water temperature, you basically dissipate heat from the oil with the water radiator, which is obviously a lot bigger than your oil cooler.

You also need to bear in mind all engines are different, there are many different factors that affect the thermal behaviour of an engine, even if comparing two engines of the same specification. Examples of this are the condition of the internal coolant passages i.e. amount of corrosion, spark plug type, air-fuel ratio, ignition advance, fuel choice, camshaft timing, cylinder bore wear, crankshaft journal or bearing wear etc etc.

Don’t bother changing the oil pump – this will achieve f*ck-all. You engine wouldn’t be functioning as an engine if you had an oil supply problem.

Regards,
Rich

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 27th Apr 2011 at 17:47
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Thanks Rich for your reply.

The oil senor as been changed and has done nothing, i've also changed the thermostate and the sandwhich plate and nothing as changed.

Before the cooler was installed my oil temp would sit at 90 on normal driving, and then would go up when giving it beams. Now that the cooler has been fitted it still rises to 90 when i'm just crusing.

which is why i think something is not working properly, as surrley now that the cooler is fitted it should surely run cooler when crusing.

Just don't understand why it doesn't sit cooler when i'm cruising. As i just feel that the cooler isn't working based on the oil temp as it hasn't changed since it been fitted.

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 12th May 2011 at 17:12
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #42
Reading back I think its your location thats causing you most of the problem, it needs it's full surface to be in a high airflow area. Situating it behind a foglight cutout will srstrict it's available air massively. Also you need to consider weather or not the hot air is actually getting out of it ok. If high pressure air is building behind it it won,t dissipate heat at all. Try temporarily mounting it in front of your radiator, in the middle low down behind the grille. If it does'nt improve the cooling I'd be very suprised.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 12th May 2011 at 17:36
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
lee_gti6 wrote:
Thanks Rich for your reply.

The oil senor as been changed and has done nothing, i've also changed the thermostate and the sandwhich plate and nothing as changed.

Before the cooler was installed my oil temp would sit at 90 on normal driving, and then would go up when giving it beams. Now that the cooler has been fitted it still rises to 90 when i'm just crusing.

which is why i think something is not working properly, as surrley now that the cooler is fitted it should surely run cooler when crusing.

Just don't understand why it doesn't sit cooler when i'm cruising. As i just feel that the cooler isn't working based on the oil temp as it hasn't changed since it been fitted.

The oil temperature will still be circa 90 deg. when crusing if you have a thermostatically controlled oil sandwhich plate.

The thermostat in the sandwich plate is going to be opening at approx. 80 degrees, so oil won't even be allowed through the cooler until it's above this temperature.

It's also governed by the oil / water heat exchanger, this will heat the oil until the oil temperature reaches the water temperature, so if you water is 85 - 90 deg. then your oil will be too.

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 12th May 2011 at 18:24

Pages (2): 1 [2]