displaying posts 1 to 25 of 43

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Oil Cooler
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My engine oil cooler doesn't seem to be working.

It's all looks to be plummed in correctly and i've also brought a new sandwich plate for it and replaced the thermostat and it still doesn't seem to be working.

So was wondering if anyone else that as a Mocal oil cooler as had the same trouble?

Proud member of the Astor owners club

Team Charged

Swirl pot and silly boost kit for sale
Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 01:24
chrisd306

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Well how is it not working mate?

In my garage just now

2003 BMW M3 & 2009 L200 Raging Bull
& Audi Q5 S Line
AX stock rod & Saxo Stock rod
Sold the bike an charged rallye an bought a caravan, midlife crisis or what!
Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 01:30
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
my oil temp is still sitting at 90 and it increases to 120 when giving it beans.

also comparing it to 2 others that are running the same cooler doing the same driving as my self and their temps were sitting at 80 and 90 when giving it some beans.

Team Charged

Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 01:56
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #4
Could be clogged, thought of removing it and taking a look?,

I'm not mechanic, but if you have replaced the 'stat and the sandwich plate then that would be my next port of call.
Clogged with what? I don't know but the chances are there's some crap built up in the engine some where and it may have moved and got caught up in there,

Just my 2 cents

Brett
Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 04:48
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
is your water temp raising? are your fans working? have you got enough oil in??? keep an eye on it mate if you run it to high you will over due the engine and size the bottom end

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 04:53
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I've just been to the south of France so have just done 2300 miles in total. The oil was changed before we left and my cooling fan's are not working but they are wired up to come in when you push the a/c button. Which they do.

When i'm driving normally and not pushing the car the tempts sits at 90, when i'm giving it some stick it rises to 120.

I've felt the pipes and the cooler and they are feel hot, so i guess it's getting the oil through. Going to change the Sandwhich plate tomorrow for a new one that i brought and see if that does anything. Apart from that i don't know what to do. Have got an 1hour and a half booked for FCS so would like to sort it before then.

Team Charged

Posted 9th Jun 2010 at 23:04
jarrus464

Junior User

Post #7
Are you using a different oil? (brand or weight?)
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:19
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Yeah what oil is it?

I've seen 140 oil temps before now on track so 120 isn't so bad. Normal running at 90 is fine as well.

Nothing to see here
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:25
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #9
adam b wrote:
Yeah what oil is it?

I've seen 140 oil temps before now on track so 120 isn't so bad. Normal running at 90 is fine as well.

Shock

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:26
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
Is it mounted in front of or behind the radiator? If it's behind it won't be as efficiant as it will be fed with a steady supply of second hand warm air from the rad. Also is it obstructed by numberplates, bumper etc?

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:28
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
daveyboy wrote:
adam b wrote:
Yeah what oil is it?

Shock

What? Wasn't like it for very long...Wink

Nothing to see here
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:28
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
daveyboy wrote:
Is it mounted in front of or behind the radiator? If it's behind it won't be as efficiant as it will be fed with a steady supply of second hand warm air from the rad. Also is it obstructed by numberplates, bumper etc?

He's taking about the heat exchanger I think.

Nothing to see here
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:29
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #13
adam b wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

He's taking about the heat exchanger I think.

No I don't think so, he mentions Mocal coolers and thermostatic sandwich plates. Sounds like a restriction of some sort to me.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 17:32
fletch

Track Head

Post #14
Where is the oil cooler situated?
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 19:26
dented_vts

Regular

Post #15
adam b wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
adam b wrote:
Yeah what oil is it?

Shock

What? Wasn't like it for very long...Wink

Doesnt matter that sort of temp is bad news full stop. On what oil were you running?
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 20:21
bellcp306td

Regular

Post #16
Have you mounted your oil cooler the right way up. you might have air traped in it. that was 3rd hand info. i have had not problem with mine its never hit 100c it sits around 75c 80c.

Where did the road go!

Chris
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 20:28
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
It's a Mocal 13 row oil cooler with a built in thermostat. It's sits behind wear the fog light would sit. So it's got plenty of air to it. Was running with the Royal Purple but have changed it the other day for 0w 40 to see if it makes any differance, which it hasn't.

When under normal driving it sits at 90 but when i was in France and giving it some stick it was sitting up at 120. Comparing it to Stan and Stilly's car that was both sitting on 80 mine is not working.

I'm on track at FCS this Sunday and i know that it's going to get hot there like it normal does. I've changed the Sandwhich plate, changed to a different oil but nothing seems to be working.

I just don't know what else to do?

Team Charged

Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 21:47
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #18
Are the outlets at the top or the bottom?

Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 21:48
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #19
And behind a fog cutout it won't get as much air as if its in the middle behind the grill.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 21:49
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
daveyboy wrote:

Believe it's at the bottom. It's pretty much half behind the fog light with no restrictions and then half behind the grill. It's in the same place as Stan has got his with no issue.

Team Charged

Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 22:14
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #21
lee_gti6 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Believe it's at the bottom. It's pretty much half behind the fog light with no restrictions and then half behind the grill. It's in the same place as Stan has got his with no issue.

If the outlets are at the bottom you may well have a massive air pocket at the top of the cooler. Try releasing the retaining bolts, and letting it flip over while the engine is running, this will push any air in the system out. Mine is mounted the same way and I have to do the same.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 22:22
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
daveyboy wrote:
lee_gti6 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

If the outlets are at the bottom you may well have a massive air pocket at the top of the cooler. Try releasing the retaining bolts, and letting it flip over while the engine is running, this will push any air in the system out. Mine is mounted the same way and I have to do the same.

Many Thanks for this i shall give this a try as i'm really stumped why it isn't working. Should i let the car get up too temp so allow the thermostat to open?

Team Charged

Posted 11th Jun 2010 at 23:49
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #23
lee_gti6 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:
lee_gti6 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Many Thanks for this i shall give this a try as i'm really stumped why it isn't working. Should i let the car get up too temp so allow the thermostat to open?

Yes, or else the air won't get pushed through the system.

Harness bars
Posted 12th Jun 2010 at 00:33
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Going to try this tomorrow morning. So fingers crossed it will work.

I'll keep you posted.

Team Charged

Posted 12th Jun 2010 at 00:40
lee_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Still now joy.

Going to book it into a garage and get them to look into it. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of it.

Team Charged

Posted 16th Jun 2010 at 02:46

Pages (2): [1] 2