displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Shocks fubard?
darrengti

Regular

Post #1
I bought a second hand set of koni adjustable dampers back along, not fitted them yet but was just giving them a tart up with some paint tonight as they've corroded a bit.

Main worry is the lack of resistance in the damper. The rears I really have to force to get the damper to compress, but the fronts just seems to push in easily, and there's no rebound. Have I been sold some dodgy shocks? I dont want to go to all the hassle of fitting them to find the car bounces all over the shop.

Cheers
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:12
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Tried adjusting them? They could be fully wound down...

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:23
darrengti

Regular

Post #3
just been out there now because I thought the same. easy as pie to push in, but stiff as hell to pull out. and I've just wound them to their stiffest setting.
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:28
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure it's the pulling out that causes the damping. spring compresses along with the damper, spring rebounds and pulls damper out.

Any leaks?

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:33
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
darrengti wrote:
just been out there now because I thought the same. easy as pie to push in, but stiff as hell to pull out. and I've just wound them to their stiffest setting.

They will be on the stiffest setting - rebound will be about 5x as stiff as the compression, with them on softest it should be about 3x as stiff on rebound as compression

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:37
cwspellowe

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
phillipm wrote:
darrengti wrote:

They will be on the stiffest setting - rebound will be about 5x as stiff as the compression, with them on softest it should be about 3x as stiff on rebound as compression

What I said. Sort of. Ninja

Bye bye Sundance Kid Sad
Posted 29th May 2010 at 01:45
darrengti

Regular

Post #7
thanks guys. reassuring when the expert confirms it Smile got to pull my finger out an buy some top mounts now. get them fitted and get to the ring. that and one of phils ptfe gaskets is hanging around here somewhere...
Posted 29th May 2010 at 02:12
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Don't try compressing and extending it...LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th May 2010 at 02:16