displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: How Low for a track car.
fozzy_255

Senior User

Post #1
Well i will be begining my track car build soon, but im unsure on how low to take it. 40mm or 60mm or stupidly low?

What would give best handling. Im mainly worried about the back as i dont want to lower the torsion bars then have to change them again.

Thankyou

John
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 19:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Track only? How much work are you going to be doing to the suspension?
You can go low enough that the bumper kisses the kerbs everytime if everything else is spot on, it'll be twitchy without a lot of work though.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 19:28
fozzy_255

Senior User

Post #3
Wont be doing major works just yet, as this will be first track car and never been on track before.

This will be a dedicated track car. Not planning on putting it on road. But there may be possibility of it goin on road as has all v5s in order. But im not worried about road use for now.

Im planning on koni adjustable dapners on back and most probably solid beam mounts. Front wise will start with uprated springs and depending on how i get on will get some coilovers.
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 19:38
dannyb1

Regular

Post #4
I personally think they handle exceptionally well on track in standard guise if your suspension components are in good condition. Lowering it loads will only screw with this and cause understeer.

They arent silly high as standard so if your going to drop it i would go a small amount to start with mate.

You want tact ? Call a tactician !
Xbox 360 : Cableguy1984
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 19:41
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
fozzy_255 wrote:
Im planning on koni adjustable dapners on back and most probably solid beam mounts. Front wise will start with uprated springs and depending on how i get on will get some coilovers.

Leave the beam mounts for now - you can go plenty quick enough without them being solid.
What you need are good quality dampers, possibly stiffer springs (beware many lowering springs aren't stiffer) and a thicker rear ARB. Make sure all the bushes and the engine mounts are in good nick too. Brake pads and tyres are worth spending on first if the standard suspension is ok.

Oh and finally some 7" wide lightweight 15" wheels Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 22:10
fozzy_255

Senior User

Post #6
Ok so leave it standard for now and focus on the suspension.

Getting ARBs out is goint to be a pain. The rear beam wont be attached to the car will that make it any easier?

Got to rebuild the GTI6 engine, and transplant into the XSI.

Before anyone says just start with a 6 i have a gti6 bought for 150 with crash damage and suspected kaput engine(that depends if the dimwit i bought it off tried turning it over with hole in the sump.

And the XSI is in good contion just needs stripping. and having the GTI transplant.

I been thinking of getting some team dynamic lightweight 15's but thats a long way off.
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 22:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
If it's your first track car then keep it somewhere between standard ride height and -40mm ish, that'll keep the geometery close enough to standard - and give enough suspension travel - that the car should be supple and predicatable when it does break away.
As Adam says, concentrate on some decent dampers (which'll give more grip, and the feeling of less roll, and tighten the car up on transitions), and the bushes and brake pads

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 29th Apr 2010 at 22:26
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
One other small thing to consider - it depends also what kind of track days you're looking at doing. The "proper" tracks are made for silly low cars so will be fine, some of the tracks really aren't; airfield days would be a no-no if you went 60mm.

I'd tend to agree with the others that 30-40mm should be fine.

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 2nd May 2010 at 02:43
fugs

Regular

Post #9
I'm currently prepping my 306 for my first track drive in it. I have avo coilovers on the front and the back is lowered with avo adjustable shocks. I have it sitting about 50mm lower. I have tracked many many cars and will let you know how I find it set up. I have no bushes in mine but have bearings instead!
Posted 2nd May 2010 at 03:04