displaying posts 1 to 9 of 9

Author Subject: URGENT HELP with steering prob
:: blade ::

Senior User

Post #1
hi all, got a bit of a prob with the car atm, its just passed its MOT today, after it failing on 2 balljoints and a track rod end, all that has been sorted and the tracking has been done, not sure what it is, but if say i go up the gears, the car will pull to the right, but if i lift off, it will pull to the left, feels reallly unsafe to drive and need to get it sorted before combe on friday. so any info on what it could be im thinking top mounts but i could be wrong,

cheers

Iain

Black Ph1 XSi-6
161.8BHP (Getting Better!!!!)
Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 00:39

Senior User

Post #2
right checked everything, top mounts are fine, engine mounts are fine, next thing is Driveshafts???

had the car on axle stands with wheels on started car and started driving, reving to see if the wheels moved back and forth while spinning, and no movement what so ever, altho there was one prob, the driverside wheel wasnt moving as fast as the passenger side, i could also stop the drivers side with my foot, but couldnt with the passenger side. could this be the problem?

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 02:34
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
More friction on the drivers side, longer shaft.

Slacked the wishbone bolts off and retightened 'em?
Any play in the steering rack?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 02:36

Senior User

Post #4
thats what im off out to do now undo the hubnut and try and push the driveshaft in, i have changed the balljoints and track rod ends this week, so i might not have pushed the shaft in far enough when putting the balljoint back in,

feels like the steering wheel isnt connected at times when it vears over to the left or right, could be going round a corner fine, lift off and it will move without actually moving the steering wheel,

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 02:40
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
check your hub balljoint holes havent ovalised. i had this. it turned out to be drivers hub ovalised
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 03:13

Senior User

Post #6
they seem fine, theres no movement there at all Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 03:46
smevs

Post #7
I had this problem in an old 205 of mine, used to accelerate to overtake and it would go around the car in front without even steering; turned out to be the steering rack mounting points were corroded. Given the similarities between the 205 and 306, its worth a look.

I drive a Peugeot, yet i always recommend a Honda?
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 19:57
pooouk

Regular

Post #8
My money is on knackered wishbone bushes. You probably won't feel any play in them, but you can't exert the same amount of force on them as 167hp can!! Very common problem on the 205.

Nick

AKA nick on 205gtidrivers.com
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 20:42

Senior User

Post #9
Well sorted the driveshaft and put that back in properly, and all was well been fine for about 4miles and and back as it was but not as bad, will take it round the track tomoz and see how it goes Smile

Black Ph1 XSi-6
Posted 23rd Apr 2010 at 22:32