displaying posts 1 to 25 of 34

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Spotting Damage
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
As most will know i had a run in with a pothole nearly a month ago now and it did quite a number on one of my front wheels Sad

At the time i hadnt really thought that the suspension may have been damaged along with the wheel but as everything is nearly ready for the car to get back on the road again i want to give it a good check over just to make sure Yes Driving up to Sheffield this weekend so dont need any issues No

So the question is what sort of suspension damage am i likely to see from a pothole collision? Where should i be looking and what are the signs?

Cheers all Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:37
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Check your P bush on that side and get your tracking checked, also look at the TRE and balljoint.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:38
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
smegal wrote:
Check your P bush on that side and get your tracking checked, also look at the TRE and balljoint.

Will deffo get the tracking done as its probably out now yep.

P Bush, TRE and Balljoint all appear good but im not really sure if there is a specific change i need to look for in them?

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:47
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Play in the wheel bearing or a leak from a shock absorber would be most likely from pothole damage.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:49
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
phillipm wrote:
Play in the wheel bearing or a leak from a shock absorber would be most likely from pothole damage.

Cool Smile

No damage to the shock from what i can see, certainly no leak No Whats the best way to ascertain there is damage to the wheel bearing?

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:53
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Try to turn and rock the wheel feeling for play. It may take a little longer to become evident though.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 14:55
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
smegal wrote:
Try to turn and rock the wheel feeling for play. It may take a little longer to become evident though.

Cool, will have to wait till i have the wheels on then. It all looks good but i have been fooled by the rallye before LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 15:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
'S alright, I'm driving down from Sheffield this weekend, so if I see a Rallye on the hard shoulder I'll throw you a bacon butty out as we go past LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 15:11
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
lmfao LOL
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 15:11
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
phillipm wrote:
'S alright, I'm driving down from Sheffield this weekend, so if I see a Rallye on the hard shoulder I'll throw you a bacon butty out as we go past LOL

LOL Thanks! Red sauce with mine Wink

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 15:13
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Wait until you've driven it a bit to do the tracking. It may hide any problems you have.
Things might not have failed yet, but may well do in the near future. I hit a kerb with the 406 in the snow and it was fine for about 30 miles. Then the wheel bearing went on that wheel.

Bloody wheel bearings - i've got loads to replace at the moment between both cars Sad

Nothing to see here
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 15:41
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I've got new bearings all around on mine Smug

Email me!
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 16:03
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
adam b wrote:
Wait until you've driven it a bit to do the tracking. It may hide any problems you have.
Things might not have failed yet, but may well do in the near future. I hit a kerb with the 406 in the snow and it was fine for about 30 miles. Then the wheel bearing went on that wheel.

Bloody wheel bearings - i've got loads to replace at the moment between both cars Sad

I disagree on the leaving the tracking point, although you are right about a wheel bearing taking time to manifest itself.

When the car is on the tracking ramp [assuming the garage isn't dodgy] they will refuse to track it if there is something wrong, not to mention the reduction in tryre wear that you would experience if the tracking was out.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 16:03
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I will be driving it to Sheffield and back this weekend, if the tracking is massively out i should be able to pick up on it hopefully Yes

I guess i will just have to wait and see what else goes wrong hey LOL

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 18:56
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
rallyestyle wrote:
I will be driving it to Sheffield and back this weekend, if the tracking is massively out i should be able to pick up on it hopefully Yes

I guess i will just have to wait and see what else goes wrong hey LOL

Should be fine if there are no obvious problems. You'll soon find out.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 19:00
kezman7

Senior User

Post #16
Checked the wishbone is not bent? I had a slight knock over a small curb that only put a small dent in the wheel but its bent the wishbone back so the tyre not hits the inner arch seem on turning
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 19:00
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
kezman7 wrote:
Checked the wishbone is not bent? I had a slight knock over a small curb that only put a small dent in the wheel but its bent the wishbone back so the tyre not hits the inner arch seem on turning

I will check again but it looks fine Yes Unless its an serious bend im thinking it would be hard to spot Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 19:19
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #18
Just get in it take it for a local spin if you know your car as well as I do you'll know instantly if somethings wrong pulling etc mite be an idea to drive without the stereo on and try to singe out any unusual noises

gradually put it through it's paces tight corners etc but don't drive like a twat LOL

i'm up sheff way too so If I could get me one of those bacon butties but with brown on please that would be appreciated! Big grin

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 23:45
cooper666

Senior User

Post #19
wach them potholes in while your in sheffield pothole citySad

clio r27
ps3 id:cooperkloe

Posted 21st Apr 2010 at 23:54
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #20
I f*cking know! Angry

Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 00:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
gnrlee wrote:

i'm up sheff way too so If I could get me one of those bacon butties but with brown on please that would be appreciated! Big grin

Tell you what, you pick 'em up and drop 'em off before I go Wink

Email me!
Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 04:49
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #22
phillipm wrote:
gnrlee wrote:

Tell you what, you pick 'em up and drop 'em off before I go Wink

Huh? in what????

That's just Cruel!!!!!

I've got no 6 it's in Leicester with HG Fail Cry

unless, may borrow your beach buggy please?
Hyper

Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 05:01
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
LOL

You see those those two bits of thread hanging from your t-shirt? They're called legs, walk ya lazy bas**rd!

Email me!
Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 05:26
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #24
Haha Cheeky f*ck,

My Legs do work they walk me all the way to the
peasants supertram, Express, and wagon

so if you could be a doll and drop them off walking past the Poo Farm would more than likely put me off my buttie anyway LOL

Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 06:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Ah Supertram, I have fond memories, 7am every morning, without fail it would be 10 minutes late, you'd find a seat, bend over to pay your fare, and then it would steadily fill up over the next 3 stops until it was bulging at the sides and you have some fat office gimps arse cheeks in your face, the local drunk stood behind you being sick on your shoes, and that lovely morning odour of 200 people with BO in a confined space and tiiinyyyy little windows.

Of course, they'd top this all off by giving you a seat that was made of concrete and just enough room to squeeze your knees in with only the occasion use of a hammer to get them behind the seat in front, normally occupied by a screaming kid who doesn't like being up this early and has decided to kick the hell out of his seat that your legs are tied in a knot behind.

Then you get to the driving, now, either half the trams are driven by badly trained monkeys, or the drivers have some sort of union going which has stakes in a brake company, because without fail they'll try to launch 200 passengers through the front window at 30mph when pulling up to every stop there is, you can see the fat bints up front turn blue from the pressure of the passengers behind until the the tram actually comes to a stop, and then everyone bounces off the back wall.

Modern commuter comforts eh?

Email me!
Posted 22nd Apr 2010 at 06:29

Pages (2): [1] 2