displaying posts 1 to 25 of 56

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: GTI-6 Track/Sprint Car Build
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #1
Well, after owning a mildly fettled Rallye, I decided to give in and prep something a bit more track focused, that I can hopefully Sprint/Hill-climb in the new year aswell..

The Rallye:

In the for sale section I found this Black GTI-6 that has been semi prepped, with enough of the right bits on it and essential maintenance on it to make it worth purchasing, it just needed a little fettling to get it where I wanted it..

Started looking like this:

Currently looks like this:

Plans are the normal track prep;
Battery re-location to rear of passenger seat
Remove all excess wiring/dash/heater - Replace with this Demist..
Install weld in seat rails
Remove all the spot welded seat mounting points
Paint interior/cage black
Poly carb windows - When I can find some suitable to use with winders..
Some plastic door card material from here All sorts of plastics..

Objective:
170hp/Tonne With driver and
Posted 5th Oct 2010 at 01:10
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #2
Ah willygti's old car!

I've worked on this a few times and can confirm she's a good'un! Smile
Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 23:04
simonjames

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
roland rat wrote:

I've worked on this a few times

Thats enough to warrant a strip down and rebuild LOL

All South Wales Members Click Here
Team Supercharged Black RALLYE ™ (Click Here for Build Project)
MY EBAY ITEMS

Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 23:05
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Did you find out what was causing the selection issues?,if so I think there would be a few on here that would like to know the cause.

pet hate, the cat
Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 23:48
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
PM me if you are ever ready for some solid rear beam mounts Whistle

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 23:54
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #6
I havn't had to sort any shifting issues out, but i think i remember seeing a receipt for re-alinging the gear linkage somewhere..

Daveyboy: I was told/by the feeling of it, it has solid mounts !
I ran my old Rallye with the stock rubber ones and thought it was great on turn in..
The only place I had a problem with it was on the 'Ring at Schwedenkreuz, coming over the crest and then settling for braking on the bumpy surface it could need a little of opposite lock to keep it straight !
Ninja
Posted 28th Mar 2010 at 00:09
davidmartin

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
This is what I was reffering to Clicky,Good to know all is well,Thats a good car you have thereThumbs up

pet hate, the cat
Posted 28th Mar 2010 at 00:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
fbmmart wrote:
I havn't had to sort any shifting issues out, but i think i remember seeing a receipt for re-alinging the gear linkage somewhere..

Daveyboy: I was told/by the feeling of it, it has solid mounts !
I ran my old Rallye with the stock rubber ones and thought it was great on turn in..
The only place I had a problem with it was on the 'Ring at Schwedenkreuz, coming over the crest and then settling for braking on the bumpy surface it could need a little of opposite lock to keep it straight !
Ninja

I don't remember wether I sold any to Will, theres been a few now. As for rubber mounts I liked them too, but I also noticed a massive increase in braking stability once the solid mounts were on, I would'nt want to be without them now. Smile

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 28th Mar 2010 at 06:10
axnxdxy

Regular

Post #9
I was wondering how you were getting on with this the other day! Good to see work progressing with her.

I will thank the engine builder from you for the ticket Razz

When I got it there seemed to be more through in the gear stick than a standard one and the odd occasion when it wouldn't go in to gear - bit of playing with the linkages sorted it out.

Posted 29th Mar 2010 at 00:02
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #10
Sooooooooooo, today was mostly interrupted by a very long, drunk walk home early this morning, F1 and roast dinners.. However, some work was done..

To those of you who are in the know, is it possible to just remove the three red, white and grey plugs ? They only seem to deal with the leccy windows, alarm, stereo and central locking..

Getting excited now, not to many jobs left to do before it's ready to paint ! I just hope the feckin thing starts again because we did not take any precautions with 'unlocking' the ECU Whistle:

Mart :thumb:
Posted 29th Mar 2010 at 01:17
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #11
Plastics4performance do windy polycarb windows, but all though they can be coated with something to make them more scratch resistant, going up and down in the rubbers will scratch them, and it will be horrid if you get light shining through them. id just get fixed type with poppit vents in if i was you.
Posted 29th Mar 2010 at 01:26
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
OT but is it just me or is the Rallye's bonnet open? Blink

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 29th Mar 2010 at 03:15
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #13
it certainly does look that way ! :/

Minor update today !

All the wiring is now removed, and the interior is neeeearly ready for painting..

Box section for the seat mounts has arrived, making a saving of 5kg from the current mounts Shock

Manual window winders and bonnet pins are on order.. Will be getting some Lexan Margard moulded windows to fit in the winders when the student loan comes through LOL:

The sum of what has been removed today, from an already "stripped out" car.. Feels pretty weighty !

This evenings job is to tidy up this mess..

Question is, will it start again when I plug it all back in ! :fish:

Mart :thumb:
Posted 30th Mar 2010 at 22:14
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Yes it does have solid rear beam mounts - miles' ones. I miss this car Sad

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 16:14
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #15
After a day of instruction in the Rallye at Castle Combe, I thought I ought to do some work on the Rallye..

Sourced the box section and wiring needing to make the new seat mounts/battery re-location for the grand total of
Posted 2nd Apr 2010 at 16:40
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
fbmmart wrote:

Willy, I'm only in Torbay, when the car is done your welcome to come have a look and a passenger ride !

Cheers

So glad its gone to someone again using this forum.

You're obviously doing everything to it i was planning on doing myself (although i was hunting around for tb's).

Keep the good work up Thumbs up

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 00:48
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #17
I'm trying to ! Running out of time before I start Uni again..

Bought the paint for interior/cage/wheels today, new rear discs, got to love Halfords discount !

Trying to decide which coil overs and top mounts to go for suggestions anyone ? I was thinking Gaz items because of the great UK service..

Mechanically, Grp N P-bushes, Braided hoses, DS2500 pads and 15x235 Mocal Cooler are waiting to be fitted Smile

On the hunt for manual windows and mirrors, I tried to cannibalise the standard mirrors to save weight by removing the motor but it wont work Angry

For the Nordschleife this year you need to have the doors covered, I've found 1x1 meter Carbon fibre weave for
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 01:37
willygti

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
It should have DS2500 pads and braided hoses as i sold the car with them unfitted.

In regards to GAZ - i had them on one of my old 205's and thought they were absolute shite, esp when i paid top dollar for them expecting them to be awesome - was gutted!

KW are the way to go mate, loads of good stories on here of them Thumbs up

Team Ducati 748
2003 Subaru Impreza STi
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 03:58
rallye1999

Senior User

Post #19
Was that for propped carbon? Where did you find that?
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 04:56
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #20
http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/store/-c-43_135_199.html

From this website, comes in a variety of weaves, you have to apply the resin to harden it off yourself.
Posted 3rd Apr 2010 at 15:35
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #21
Well, no progress on the dash.. Started to remove the wiring and separate it, turned out to be way more hassle than it was worth !

The interior has had most of the spot welded excess removed, bar 2 belt mounts which are better off being ground out rather than drilled.. These bits weighed in at 2kg, every little counts !

A trip to the scrap yard yielded manual window winders and mirrors.. The electric motors in the mirrors and doors are surprisingly heavy, hopefully sorting some lexan margard moulded windows to fit today Big grin

Cage and interior is now in primer, ready for a top coat in the same colour as the exterior, with a satin finish on the cage.. :thumb:

Totally run out of time to re-locate the battery, remove the ABS and Aircon pump, but it will happen..

The suspension will be coming courtesy of Gaz, adjustable front coil overs, sadly they don't seem to do trade discount Angry:

I also purchased some ATS DTC's which have saved me a total of 12kg Big grin

More to come...
Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 16:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #22
Is that via Dampertech? And what topmounts did you decide on in the end?

Harness bars
Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 16:32
fbmmart

Junior User

Post #23
Hi bud,
Do you mean are the coilovers coming from dampertech ? I have never heard of them, so no. I phoned them directly Smile

I havn't yet decided on a solution for the top mounts, to be honest I was going to leave it untill I had driven the car and make an assessment from there.
Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 17:43
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #24
fbmmart wrote:
Hi bud,
Do you mean are the coilovers coming from dampertech ? I have never heard of them, so no. I phoned them directly Smile

I havn't yet decided on a solution for the top mounts, to be honest I was going to leave it untill I had driven the car and make an assessment from there.

I'd have a word with Dave at Dampertech, hes a Gaz dealer and may be able to sort you a better price, also, it's worth deciding before you get them what topmounts you want to use as there are different struts with longer threads for spherical bearing topmounts. I fell foul of this when I got mine and it took a while to rectify, so have a chat and make sure its sorted. Also the 350lb springs they send out as standard are too soft and the shiocks bottom out really harshly.

Dampertech are on: 01709 703 992

I'm on: 07775 674 031 if you want any advice on how I got mine to work.

Cheers.

Harness bars
Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 18:31
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #25
fbmmart wrote:
Hi bud,

Harness bars
Posted 15th Apr 2010 at 18:47

Pages (3): [1] 2 3