displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: serious coilover problem
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #1
anybody able to assist? apologies for it being a non pug related problem but im in need of some advice.

got a golf which ive had a week or so and its on its arse on coilovers. i need to get it to the bodyshop tomorrow to get the arches looked at but the car is far too low. ive raised the front easily enough but the rears are a pain in the backside.

i cant get the height adjustment ring to move unless i use a large screwdriver and a club hammer!!!

there are two rings on the thread. the smaller of the two on the bottom, the coilover key fits but the larger one on top doesnt want to spin with it. is that threaded also? or is it just a little siezed? surely you dont need two keys for this, i didnt on the front.

any help appreciated as im rapidly running out of wd40!!!

"I need to 're-mortgage' my six"

Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:08
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
they arent supposed to turn together the bottom one is a lock ring
Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
As above, the bottom one is a locking ring to stop the top one moving under vibration, you need to seperate them first.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:21
oecken

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
that not that serious is is? ive had the pleasue of discovering one my adjustable coilover springs has snapped, and now also a leaking shock Sad bad times LOL hth

Sad Ex-Black 6 Ninja - Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.
Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:31
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
given quite how low I have seen some dubs, this is potentially very serious LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:38
x69 rgg

Senior User

Post #6

cheers for the replies. i managed to seperate the bottom ring. but the top still wouldnt move. i did the fronts by hand!!

cleaned the threads with the rest of the wd40 and an air line. the ring was a little siezed and the rubbish that collects on the thread was making it harder.

welshpug! wrote:
given quite how low I have seen some dubs, this is potentially very serious LOL

yea i know what you mean. what is it with that lot? wheels poking out from the arches etc. looks w*nk if you ask me. got there in the end. ta for the advice. Smile

"I need to 're-mortgage' my six"

Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 01:56
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Check that it doesn't have a grub screw somewhere on the adjusting ring, though its unusual to have this and a locking ring as well.

Give the wd40 some time to do it's work.

Also I guess the rear is jacked up so you're not lifting the car with the adjustment ring.

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 19:00
jonnie205

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
punch it round with drift may be the only way to free it off
Posted 6th Mar 2010 at 21:26