displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Gaz Gold Set up help
shakey

Regular

Post #1
Just fitted some Gaz Golds along with Jims solid mounts and Ash's ARB to the track car. When we dropped the car it became clear that it wasn't sitting level, I put a spirit level on the door sill and it was the turn of the bubble out, it's also out by the small amount across which I assume is due to the fronts being at different levels.

The car was lowered by 40mm ish when I got it so that's were the rear end is.

My question is what advise has anyone got for getting the thing nice and level (assuming level is best ?)and set up for track use. Do I need a special tool for adjusting the fronts ?

And finally, how hard should I go on the rebound, anyone got track experience with these.

Thanks, Steve
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 02:01
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I just got demon tweeks to set the level on mine, AFAIK 2 post ramps are perfectly level so they can get the height right.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 02:55
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
how are you sure the ground is 100% level and all the tyres are evenly worn?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:00
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
welshpug! wrote:
how are you sure the ground is 100% level and all the tyres are evenly worn?

OT did you get my pm mate?

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:01
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #5
Mine were a little off to start with too mate, level them up for definite though mate. When I got mine they came as standard with 350 Lbs springs on which were way too soft even on a significantly lightened carv and as a result I had terrible knocking noises as the suspension bottomed out. I ended up having to send them back for checking until they realised that they had specced the wrong spring weight, they then sent out some 420 lbs and some 450 lbs springs, the 420s cured the knocking and all has been well ever since. I still have the 450 lbs ones though.

As for settings, I was advised to adjust the damping all the way out (Fully anticlockwise to the softest setting) then wind on five clicks of damping as a start point. They are still there as I blew my engine to shit at the very next trackday so I can't really give you much feedback as to how well any particular setup works.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:03
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I generally ran about 8 clicks up front, 12 at the rear

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:04
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
With regards to leveling, make sure you have the car on flat level ground, then try measuring the height from the top of the tyre or top edge of the wheel rim to the underside of the wheelarch. You wo't need any special tools really for this, just a tape-measure, the 'C'spanner that came with the shocks and a jack is handy (to take some of the weight off the car while you turn the locking collars as it makes it much easier and is less likely to wear out the threads.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #8
phillipm wrote:
I generally ran about 8 clicks up front, 12 at the rear

For the rears I was running a similar ammount of clicks on track with my 21mm bars, but I found that to be too hard for bumpy roads as the back got a bit skippy, so backed them off to about 3 clicks for road and 10 odd for trackdays.

Harness bars
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:10
shakey

Regular

Post #9
Cheers guys much appreciated, let you know how I get on. Oh and Jim the mounts fit a treat, cheers fella.
Steve
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:16
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
shakey wrote:
Cheers guys much appreciated, let you know how I get on. Oh and Jim the mounts fit a treat, cheers fella.
Steve

Razz LOL

Harness bars
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:19
shakey

Regular

Post #11
Oh Welshpug, the tyres are brand new and I laid the slab which is +/- 3mm over 6 metres so pretty level
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 03:23
pdd144c

Senior User

Post #12
Get it corner weighed, if you fit a link to the rear ARB you can adjust all 4 corners. We charge around

FOR SALE

205 Turbo Technics complete and 306 Rallye Race Build breaking.
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 19:00
shakey

Regular

Post #13
The cars going to Demon Tweeks on Saturday for setting up including corner weighing and 4 wheel alignment
Posted 3rd Mar 2010 at 20:51
chas

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I would also look at Centre Gravity. I have heard good things about them. He'll even Road test the car before you drive it away to see if you are happy with it.

Ex Owner of 2000 Phase 3 306 GTi 6 China Blue - You shall be missed

1974 Triumph Stag
1989 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6
2003 Alfa Romeo 147 JTD Lusso
2005 Mondeo Ghia X 3.0 Estate LPG
Posted 7th Mar 2010 at 03:40