displaying posts 51 to 58 of 58

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]

Author Subject: Cams on GTI-6
gti-dan

Regular

Post #51
what gsxr bodies do colin satchell/sandy brown use? Would they mind if you sourced them yourselves or do they like to do their induction set up as a kit?
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 01:59
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
dented_vts wrote:
i think most modern engines ship from the factory with regular oil now are are effectively run in? I have not heard of manufacturers recommending running in for some years.

i think its because theryre either machined lots better or machinied diferent but i think thats why a engine is run in from new nowadays

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #53
750 / 1000 cc ones IIRC, both engines use the same bodies, not sure if they'd be big enough for a higher powered XU engine, big enough for most very highly tuned TU's (200 odd bhp's worth of air) from what I've seen though, I think colin makes his own throttle body too.

best to send sandy a PM on here or the drivers forum if you want to know more Smile

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:10
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #54
2004 onwards, gsxr 1000 44mm bodies, the late type ones have different injectors though, that are the wrong size to fit suitable pico injectors into if you want to use 8 injector set up.

They can also do a set up to use kawasaki zx12, late model 46mm bodies, but they are rare and expensive.

You can source your own bodies and send them to Colin to make the manifold, and trumpets, plus throttle quadrant, and mod the bodies to suit.
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 02:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #55
yeah, DrSarty uses 46mm Triumph bodies IIRC, modded to suit by colin Smile

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:09
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
44's are enough for about 350 before you start loosing anything noticable, hell even those 36's I've got from an R6 would only be costing you ~6-7bhp at that level.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:19
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #57
phillipm wrote:
44's are enough for about 350 before you start loosing anything noticable, hell even those 36's I've got from an R6 would only be costing you ~6-7bhp at that level.

I dont dis-trust what you say, or think it wrong, just thinking 'out loud' so to speak, if the stock intake runners are circa 42mm diameter, similar to port size? (pure guess) then if you where using a 36mm body per cylinder are you not putting a restriction into the system?

My thinking is similar to the 'airbox' discussion, using ITB's each body is responsible for each cylinders intake, the combined area of the 4 bodies is considerably larger than the stock throttle body area, but as said in the airbox thread, only one cylinder is sucking at a time on a single body, hence not having to be 4 x the size needed for one cylinder. Whereas with 4 ITB's each one is catering for a single cylinder?

Fuel injected 250cc motocross bikes use a single body i think around 50mm diameter, though they rev to 13500 rpm, a FI 450cc uses a similar, or same sized body to the 250, still revving to 12000 though.

The Jenvey site recommends sizes for ITB's of 45mm for a 2 litre engine making sensible power, ie 200+.

thoughts?

Whistle
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 03:42
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Big single cylinder engines take in air in one great gulp/pulse - need bigger throttle bodies than usual, same reason for V twins having similar TB area to higher powered 4's. More rpms also smooths the flow out, so a smaller body closer to the cylinder head can be used.

As for the size, that's physically what they'll flow, obviously where you put them in the inlet tract and size transitions between the throttle bodies and inlets are a concern for the system as a whole.
Fortunately, you don't really lose much by going bigger with throttle bodies if required for inlet purposes, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't really matter what the exact size is as nearly every bike tb will flow enough, so long as you can get it to work with the ports + manifolds.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Feb 2010 at 06:52

Pages (3): 1 2 [3]