displaying posts 1 to 3 of 3

Author Subject: top mount movement
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi Guys,

When the bonnet is open and I push down the front of the car it's clearly visible that for the first mm of movement not the springs compress, but the top mounts go up Huh?

Naturally not the whole mount, but only the center part, circled in the picture below:

I stole this pic from here Razz

The mounts are not cracked, they are in perfect condition, and before I fitted the ASTs I did not notice this.
The springs on the AST are lot smaller, and firmer but still it shouldn't make the mount move in such way!

What's up with this?

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 23:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
That's normal, the damping is stiffer, the top mounts are designed to do that, that's why they're a weird shape, it effectively softens the damping slightly over small, high-frequency bumps, and still allows full damping over larger bdoy movements.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 6th Feb 2010 at 23:56
vts_tibi

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
so it's nothing to worry about then?

feels a bit wobbly when going over small bumps and potholes (feels like it's sitting on the bumpstops at the front, but it's clearly not the issue)

but it's great when hitting a bigger one

VTS
best 60' : 2.272
best 1/8 ET : 9.375 @ 74.42mph
best 1/4 ET: 14.603 @ 97.047mph

Team Trackday™
Posted 7th Feb 2010 at 00:04