displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Bell to Rotor Fixing Bolts
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Evening all,

I've recently had the bells from my 330mm brake setup Hard Anodised to protect them from the elements.

Now, when I was removing the bells from the rotors the bolts had corroded slightly and this made it a bit of a PITA to remove them.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows where I can get some replacement bolts which are corrosion resistant.

I've been trawling the web for most of the day, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere who can definitely say if they are corrosion resistant or able to supply them in the correct size.

The size of bolt I require is -

M6 x 25 Cap Head and I would need 24 of them.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, or are able to/know someone who can supply me with what I need I would greatly appreciate it. Thumbs up
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 22:27
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I assume this is one of Ash's kits? If so why not PM him?

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 13:42
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
You will have a local fasteners place who will help you (eg Allthread in Preston, Sterling Nut&Bolt in Peterborough). Failing that, someone like Shop4fasteners will help you, buit iirc they're bags of 50 or 100. Could punt on a couple of kits to other people on here with 330 setups.

Your originals in your avatar will be chemically blacked ht. Your only other easily available option is zinc plated (Grade 10.9 or 12.9), i wouldn't really want to use stainless but i have known it before, Hispec supply kits with stainless cap heads iirc. Depends what torque you've been instructed to tighten to.

Socket Cap Clicky

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 16:22
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've already spoken to Ash, and he's supplied me with some different bolts which I'm going to try. He isn't sure if they are corrosion resistant though.

Cheers for the info tvrfan007, I hadn't found that Shop4Fastners site when I was searching. Thumbs up

I've ordered some Zinc Plated ones off them, so I'll see how I get on with them. Looks like I'll have a few spares to, if anyones interested! Laugh
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 17:26
ash

Six Addict

Post #5
I'll take a set off you! Whistle
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 21:11
fletch

Track Head

Post #6
ash wrote:
I'll take a set off you! Whistle

Laugh
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 22:11
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
The zinc plated ones should last a lot longer against corrosion, but at the end of the day they're high strength bolts exposed to the atmosphere at high temperatures - they'll start to rust eventually.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 22:56
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Do you have any recommendations then Phill?
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 22:59
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Titanium if the wallet will bear it.
You could possibly use an A4-80 stainless steel rather than the normal A2-60/70 or A4-70 bolts you usually see, but Ash would have to confirm whether they're strong enough for you or not.

I've got some nice shiny anodised aluminium ones Razz

Or you could just use a little anti-sieze paste Whistle

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 23:26
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Over
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 01:23
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Nah, should be able to get them for nearly half that, try TiBolts.co.uk

Email me!
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 01:41
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Yeah sorry I should've said that earlier, the Zinc plating will *eventually* succumb to the environment it's in - fookin hot brake disc exposed to road shite.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 03:17
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
phillipm wrote:
Nah, should be able to get them for nearly half that, try TiBolts.co.uk

Hmm

Their prices are very good, cheers for the site. Thumbs up

I'll see how I get on with the Zinc plated ones first, then if my numbers come up I'll invest in the Titanium ones. Laugh
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 04:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
LOL

Email me!
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 04:07