displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Change engine or redo head
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I've been looking for a while for a new engine which I was going to rebuild but after much searching I have found that it is going to cost a fair bit and that I will be wasting my time really unless I go for forged pistons ect to beef up the bottom. The head gasket has gone on my head (well I think it's the head gasket) mayo in the oil and brown water. But could there be any other causes of these problems that may be in the bottom end? Would the head gasket going require a rebuild from the bottom up anyway, I can get the machining done cheap as a friend owns an engineering firm that service car engines but the parts all add up.

Basically, is it worth me rebuilding the engine or should I just go for sorting the head?

All this after I just made a list of stuff for my suspension and a quick check of the oil has turned into a major job that needs to be done.

205 GTi Red - G939 RTU - Died!
306 GTi 6 Diablo - Being resurrected! Project Thread

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 03:41
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sometimes it can just be the oil cooler giving mayo but.

If you can fit the head yourself it shouldn't be too expensive (around

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 03:49
rikky 🦔

Post #3
you would be so much better diagnosing it properly rather than guessing. get a compression test done, takes a few minutes and shouldn't cost much if you take it somewhere

as said the oil cooler/heat exchangers can fail and make a fair old mess. how has the car been having? underlying problems etc or.. ? nothing?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 04:56
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Well the power has felt to have gone down recently but that could be as the exhaust sounds a bit f*cked. Thing the decat has ruined the inside of my standard exhaust. Yeah have to get that done first before I go mental and jump to any expensive measures

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 21:02
ryangti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
How much "mayo" have you got and is it just on the oil cap?

I could just be moisture with the recent temps especially if you only do short journeys.

Ryan
Posted 15th Jan 2010 at 22:37
jamiek_uk2000

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
not too much, yeah have only been doing 4 miles each way to work and back. The temp has been low aswell tho, never over 95 even when in traffic. Usually round 88-90

Looking for:
VTS P1 Rack
PR1.2 16"
Posted 16th Jan 2010 at 18:27