displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: My oil cooler setup
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I thought i'd make a quick thread to show how ive mounted my oil cooler since a few people have asked about them on other threads and i didnt want to spam other peoples threads with my pictures LOL

After the french car show last year where my car was introduced to a track for the first time in my ownership i managed to overheat my oil (~140*c) and with a trip to the nurburgring only 2 weeks after fcs i decided that it would be wise to fit an oil cooler with a thermostatic plate.

Money was a little tight so i bought a second hand 16 row mocal cooler with braided oil lines and a thermostatic plate from someone on here.

The rubber seal on the thermostatic plate was unusable so i got a new one ordered and decided to strip the plate whilst i waited for the new seal to arrive. Quite a simple little thing really:

After cleaning i re-assembled it and put the new seal on once it was all dry. I think i used carb cleaner to clean the oil off most of the stuff.

Whilst i waited for the new seal to arrive i went out and bought some fine mesh to help protect the oil cooler from stones, its approx 10mm squares zinc coated stuff from a local diy shop, came in 1m x 1m sheets for about

Goldie the track car.
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 01:52
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Thumbs up,

i am curious about if there is enough room behind the rad and the between the engine to slot one down.

Did you hit any problems during installation?

Team allesclar ®

Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 02:09
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I helped rwgti fit an identical system on his '6 and he managed without removing his inlet manifold, he even had a PTFE gasket which puts the manifold a bit closer to the rad.

I got fed up of slicing my hands / arms on the rad and manifold so decided to take it off for the sake of the cost of new gaskets, it made things a lot easier but wasnt necessary.
I think rob went up from underneath to fit his sandwich plate, though there seems to be more room down there on his than mine even though he still has a/c like mine.

Its quite easy to get the filter into position from the top on mine, just go down from the left of the pas pump then along and into position.
Rob does his filter from underneath going upwards, so it should be accessible for you one way or another.
Having said that i think your now supercharged so things might be slightly different for you.
It shouldnt be too hard to sort out once you get to the fitting stage though, just make sure you have everything you think you'll need ready before you start Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 02:22
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
yeah, thanks Smile

abit different as mine aint exactly standard Wink

Got alot more room manifold wise though Smile
Just dont want to catch any pipes down there, also i will need to see how much longer the 19row cooler is too.

I was thinking about mounting it behind the rad and using brackets from the top part of the area where the bonnett catch is located.

The part at the very bottom of this picture

cant remember what its called though.

Team allesclar ®

Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 02:29
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Good write up and pics Cool

allesclar wrote:

I was thinking about mounting it behind the rad

Don't think that would be a very good position for it to be honest Huh?
It would only be getting hot air from rad passing threw itCrazy

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 04:03
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
but in fairness, when its getting caned, the coolant temp is around 80 degrees, so there is alot of air flow through the rad.

I would put it under the FMIC but i want to get a 19 row cooler and i dont think that would fit Sad

Team allesclar ®

Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 04:11
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
excelent thread and pictures i will use this when fittign mine. whats the differnce with the sandwich plates? isnt that where the oil pressure and temp sensors go into?i cant see from the pictures .

ph3 gti-6 china blue- mint condition
ph2 gti-6 nile blue K.I.A dec 2010
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 14:10
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #8
coskev wrote:

allesclar wrote:

I think you'll find if you were to ask pete rallye or one of the boys running ex BTCC cars the cooler is mounted behind the rad!Wink

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 15:33
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
gtomi-6 wrote:
excelent thread and pictures i will use this when fittign mine. whats the differnce with the sandwich plates? isnt that where the oil pressure and temp sensors go into?i cant see from the pictures .

What do you mean?
There is already one sandwich plate which is installed by peugeot which sends the oil into a heat exchanger in the radiator to help warm the oil from cold then keep the temps reasonable when the oil is hot.
When fitting an extra cooler you just put the oil coolers sandwich plate against the peugeot one then the filter after the new sandwich plate.

There are two types of sandwich plate that i'm aware of for the oil cooler, non thermostatic and thermostatic.
I would use the thermostatic one as it doesnt allow any (or very little) oil to go through the actual cooler when the oil is cold and then opens up the flow to the cooler once the oil is around 80*c.

As others have mentioned in other threads, running with the oil below optimal temperatures is as bad for the engine as running with the oil too hot, hence why a thermostatic plate is ideal.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 15:40
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
ok cheers mate i now get you. was just abit confused where the sensors go thats all.

ph3 gti-6 china blue- mint condition
ph2 gti-6 nile blue K.I.A dec 2010
Posted 9th Jan 2010 at 20:29
coskev

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
jeffers wrote:
coskev wrote:

allesclar wrote:

I think you'll find if you were to ask pete rallye or one of the boys running ex BTCC cars the cooler is mounted behind the rad!Wink

Perhaps that was due to clearance issues????Huh?

All production cars that I know of that run air to oil coolers have them in front of the rad,or to the side in front of the wheel area which is the best placeWink

Red GTB1756 powered Fabia VRS daily driver,LBSC Gti6 eater........

Mac1 ZR R1 kit car build in progress.
Posted 10th Jan 2010 at 05:38
r*byb

Regular

Post #12
Just wandering why you need to get at it from the top, i've got to order mine tomorrow, and would of thought you undo the filter from the bottom, fit sandwhich plate with the two oil ways pointing downwards and then route the pipes accordingly ?

Team Low Compression
Posted 10th Jan 2010 at 23:57
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
You dont need to get at it from the top to be honest, i just took the manifold off to make things easier, and i needed the manifold off to sort out the leaking sensor on the block.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Jan 2010 at 00:00
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #14
coskev wrote:
jeffers wrote:
coskev wrote:

allesclar wrote:

Perhaps that was due to clearance issues????Huh?

All production cars that I know of that run air to oil coolers have them in front of the rad,or to the side in front of the wheel area which is the best placeWink

I agrre with what your saying but i know from havin spoke to pete about this that his car is as the works team had it and the cooler is behind the radiator, thats where mine is going, purely for protection from stones ETC.Wink

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 11th Jan 2010 at 01:07