displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Remap
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Ive spent enough time on this forum to know that as soon as the subject of remap comes up, its only going to be a matter of minutes before someone mentions Wayne S at Chipwizards.

My questions is why? He selfishly has based himself up near manchester, which is fair old step from sunny brighton, so i'm wondering what seperates him from the rest to warrant the pilgrimage north? Can anyone recommend someone nearer the south, or will i just end up regreting not letting the wizrard get his magical hands on the rallye??

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:14
cjm_harris

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Also heard many good reviews about Sandy Brown.

What work have you had done, what needs to be mapped?

Sandy is down Devon/Cornwall area.

Chris
1999 China Gti6 Supercharged Devil [Fun car] >>Project Thread<<
2000 Bianca 306 Diesel [Work runabout]
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:40
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
purely because he's the only reputable person who can map the standard ecu, or at least the only one people know of so far.

There's plenty of decent mappers around but most will stick to a more common aftermarket Brand which would I think be a lot easier to work.

as you're down south you'd probably be better off getting something like Emerald DTA or Omex and going somewhere like Torque Of The Devil in uxbridge, track and road are somewhere south too I believe, that'll save you a fair amount on the mapping and travelling costs and time.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:40
millsyxsi

Regular

Post #4
cjm_harris wrote:
Also heard many good reviews about Sandy Brown.

Sandy is down Devon/Cornwall area.

Sandy brwon is good. Not had anything myself done, But alot of the 106 boys down here use him

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:46
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
cjm_harris wrote:

Nothing yet, but am think about getting cams next year.

welshpug - so am i right in thinking that you can buy generic, easily remap-able ECU's, which can be tweaked for the setup of the car, where as Wayne's skill lies in rempaing the standard ECU. Are there any pros/cons to either of those options?

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:50
bobdylan_55

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
wayne is reputable because he maps not only for street cars but also race vehicles, ive seen some nice porsche race cars in there when me and my bro went to get his xsi mapped. he also does a top job, and knows how to remap standard ecu and megasquirt PROPERLY.
Sandy is also very good so worth giving him a ring.

309 GTi6-T
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:56
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
braymond wrote:
cjm_harris wrote:

Nothing yet, but am think about getting cams next year.

welshpug - so am i right in thinking that you can buy generic, easily remap-able ECU's, which can be tweaked for the setup of the car, where as Wayne's skill lies in rempaing the standard ECU. Are there any pros/cons to either of those options?

Major pro with the standard ECU is that you keep all of your original features, knock sensing, idle control etc. Unfortunately, it's a trip tp Manchester and

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 16:58
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
precisely that yes, cons, as far as I know the stock ecu is stuck to running with the map, whereas with ITB's you'd do away with it and run with a TPS for load only.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 17:00
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #9
If you only plan to do cams, get them, fit them along with anything else you plan to do fitted all at the same time, then go see Wayne. Waste of money going down the aftermarket ECU route unless you plan major modifications over a period of months/years.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 17:11
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Well all things considered i think i'll end up going to see Wayne then. Im not intending to go crazy on the engine mods, so i'd be happy enough to go with a bespoke ECU map and not worry about the future. I did think in time the only other thing i'd change would be the air filter, but like with everything, theres plenty of research to do before i know where i am with that, so as suggested i'd prob wait and do that at the same time. I dont know why, but i really dont like hearing the breathy whine of an aftermarket air filter, so i dont know what options that leaves me. Im sure i'll be starting an Air filter topic soon enough then! Big grin I am quite seduced by the idea of the BMC carbon enclosed item, with a feed down in the foglight blank, but cant see how that isn't just a huge problem if theres heavy rain or standing water! Dunno

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 18:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #11
braymond wrote:
Well all things considered i think i'll end up going to see Wayne then. Im not intending to go crazy on the engine mods, so i'd be happy enough to go with a bespoke ECU map and not worry about the future. I did think in time the only other thing i'd change would be the air filter, but like with everything, theres plenty of research to do before i know where i am with that, so as suggested i'd prob wait and do that at the same time. I dont know why, but i really dont like hearing the breathy whine of an aftermarket air filter, so i dont know what options that leaves me. Im sure i'll be starting an Air filter topic soon enough then! Big grin I am quite seduced by the idea of the BMC carbon enclosed item, with a feed down in the foglight blank, but cant see how that isn't just a huge problem if theres heavy rain or standing water! Dunno

It will make so little difference to the engine you can mess around with air filters all you want after the map without worrying too much about it affecting your engine. Might still be an idea to get it done before the mapping session so you can make the best of your modifications.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 18:25
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Its not going to really gain you anything changing the air filter so I doubt it would need remapping again afterwards. How often do you drive in water that deep anyway? If you do just carry a screwdriver with you and pop the intake hose off the TB until you are through the water.Thumbs up

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 18:31
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
well thats good news then! I might just settle for stock filter or maybe the K&N replacement to fit in the standard airbox and be done with!

roll on hot cams! Big grin

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 18:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14
braymond wrote:
well thats good news then! I might just settle for stock filter or maybe the K&N replacement to fit in the standard airbox and be done with!

roll on MILD cams! Big grin

EFA Thumbs up

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 18:53
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #15
welshpug! wrote:
braymond wrote:

roll on Luke-warm cams! Big grin

EFA Thumbs up

Harness bars
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 19:01
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Roll on new pistons and HOT cams LOL

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 19:10
braymond

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Poke it, cam snobs! Flip

Rallye-R

Nurburgring article
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 19:11
jib

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Whilst we are on this subject, have many people had any big gains from a remap in conjunction with basic mods? i.e different induction setup, stainless exhaust system + decat?
Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 19:11
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #19
braymond wrote:
Poke it, bent valve snobs! Flip

Whistle

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 20th Oct 2009 at 19:33
braymond

Seasoned Pro