displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Std GTi6/Rallye caster angle
crf450

Senior User

Post #1
I've just measured the caster on a std car and I reckon with my digi thingy it looks like 2degrees, anyone know what the factory says's it is
Cheers Martin.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 14:38
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
IIRC it says on the top mount. I don't have a spare one to hand to look at though.

Rich
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 17:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
2* for the non-pas top mounts, ~3.5* for the PAS top mounts.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 18:06
crf450

Senior User

Post #4
Thanks for that Phil but the car I've just measured was a PAS Meridian which I'm sure is running it's original top mounts and this came out at 2degrees.
If I've made a mistake and the Meridian is 3.5 this will changed the calculation's I've made to achieve the caster I want to run on my race car.
I've checked the top mount mounted on the car I cant see anything, although if Peugeot made two different types these must be the extra caster ones because they are off center on the mounting diameter but my digi inclination gauge says they at 2 degrees which doesn't add up.
Anyone got any pictures of the two different types pls?

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 18:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
The PAS mount is basically the same as an non-PAS but turned around - they both mount off centre, but the non-PAS one mounts the strut forwards of the mount centre, and the PAS mounts it rearwards.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 18:37
crf450

Senior User

Post #6
OK so its sounds like the Meridian has got the correct top mounts on.
Can i ask how you now this Phil? Is it something you've measured yourself or did you get the info off some Peugeot website?
Thanks again for your help.

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 19:05
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Measured my own up when I was setting mine Dunno

Email me!
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 19:06
crf450

Senior User

Post #8
Thanks for that,I'll try and work out where I've gone wrong.
Cheers Martin

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 19:14
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I measured with a bar through the top mount down into a sleeve over the balljoint, how did you do it?

Email me!
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 20:30
crf450

Senior User

Post #10
I stuck a calibrated Moore and Wright digital magnetic inclination gauge to the strut after messuring the inclination of my drive with the same device sat on a metre steel rule in five places and taking an average (which was 0.6 of a degree).
Then I took this off what the device was telling me when it was on the strut.
What did you use to take the measurement off your bar?

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 23:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Digital magnetic inclination gauge, on a precision concrete machine-bed LOL

Email me!
Posted 18th Oct 2009 at 23:48
crf450

Senior User

Post #12
I had to have a datum to measure off which ideally would have been something on the car. As I couldn't think of anything which was/should be dead upright I measured the angle the car was sat at and factored it in.
I just saw this as the most practical way to take the measurement with the tackle I'd got to hand.I'm not saying its right but I thought it seemed like a ok way of doing it

What did you use to take the measurement off your bar?

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 00:52
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I just referenced it against the wishbone mount angles, it's fixed to with respect to the castor angle and isn't affected by ride height at the time, so it gives me something to work against no matter what I do ride-height wise.

Email me!
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 05:11
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Geek

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 05:16
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Hey, you're gonna have to set yours at some point mister LOL

Email me!
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 05:17
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Thats whats worrying meShock

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 05:58
crf450

Senior User

Post #17
phillipm wrote:
I just referenced it against the wishbone mount angles, it's fixed to with respect to the castor angle and isn't affected by ride height at the time, so it gives me something to work against no matter what I do ride-height wise.

What measuring device did you use to take the measurement off your bar?
I'm only asking as i might do mine the same way you did yours.

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 13:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Digital inclinometer, smart tool one with the ground magnetic base.

Email me!
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 16:17
crf450

Senior User

Post #19
Sounds indentical to mine then.

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 19th Oct 2009 at 17:35