displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: BTCC style inlet manifold
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #1
I have had a search and not come up with much, but does anyone know what they did to the BTCC style inlet manifolds? I know the throttle bodies where enlarged with a different butterfly size.

Im sure i saw somewhere that they machined the trumpets out flush with the plenum but im not sure. This shortening the intact tract, presumably for more revs? On a reasonably standard engine would this work, or do you think it might be worth lengthening the intake tract, if anything atall?

On that theory, the PTFE inlet manifold gaskets, how much thicker than standard are they if atall?, if thicker, would this lengthening of the intact tract also be helping power?

i also found through google a 406 btcc manifold that had carbon trumpets on it, for single throttle body type. quite trick.

Any ideas/theories, cheers!
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:02
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Search is your friendWink

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:06
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #3
midlife wrote:
Search is your friendWink

Cool

Indeed it is, hence the first sentence of my post, but if you can point me at something i havnt allready found on this site regarding them i would be greatfull. Ive spent some time looking and havnt found anything substantial, thanks
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:14
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #4
I've never bothered to learn clickies Shut up Ban ? But I did this and you can read the whole sorry saga for yourself if you go to search and type in modified inlet manifold, look for the thread started by me (daveyboy) and you will see what results I got Dry

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:18
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #5
daveyboy wrote:
I've never bothered to learn clickies Shut up Ban ? But I did this and you can read the whole sorry saga for yourself if you go to search and type in modified inlet manifold, look for the thread started by me (daveyboy) and you will see what results I got Dry

I think a ban is a little ott to be honest, i will be straight though, i didnt search for modified inlet manifold, pretty much everything but, cheers for putting me in the right direction, if that all i need to know the post can be closed if required.
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #6
mxcrazy wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

I think a ban is a little ott to be honest, i will be straight though, i didnt search for modified inlet manifold, pretty much everything but, cheers for putting me in the right direction, if that all i need to know the post can be closed if required.

No the ban is for ME, been on here 3 years and I have'nt learned to do a clicky! Roll eyes

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:23
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #7
I was told that on a race spec head running big valves and high RPM my manifold would increase power, you would also need a high flow exhaust system (Maniflow or similar) I still have the manifold and it was nicely made but would'nt reach it's full potential on an otherwise standard engine. If you have plans to go to town on the head etc. the manifold is still available to buy as I never sold it after my try at it.

Harness bars
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:27
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #8
apologies sir, i thought you meant me for my inability to search properly, i have had a quick look and its exactly what i was after. thanks
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 20:41
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
i wondered if the biger inlet ptfe gasket would make any difference with it increasing the inlet tratc.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 21:00
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #10
Not much I would have thought, what are they, 5-6mm?

Harness bars
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 21:50
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
5mm, slight alteration, but not a lot.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 21:57
mxcrazy

Regular

Post #12
Reading the post you reffered me too it didnt do too well on an otherwise stock engine then, which is what i am kind of aiming for, not going ott with it.

I may look into lengthening the intake tract then, that coupled with advanced intake cam timing, plus decent induction setup and exhaust should bring torque up, but i dont know about a sacrifice in BHP?
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 21:57
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Don't think you can make it much longer without doing something with the rad. They're pretty close as it isSmile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 22:05
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Advance the exhaust as well. You shouldn't get any decrease in BHp, but max will move a bit lower in the rev range. Mine has both advanced and makes 155lbft and ~175 BHp, but both around the 6k mark. Isn't slow at all.

Having a slightly bored out TB gives you a much more instant throttle response and thats about it. Mine isn't hugely increased though. Standard exhaust is good. The Peugeot Sport Magnex doesn't seem to have lost me power as far as I can tell. No obvious gain though.

Nothing to see here
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 05:41
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Best thing you can do is move to lighter 7" wide 15" wheels with light tyres (PE2). My wheels + tyres weigh around 13.5 kgs each, versus the standard at about 18 kgs.

Nothing to see here
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 05:51
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #16
adam b wrote:
Best thing you can do is move to lighter 7" wide 15" wheels with light tyres (PE2). My wheels + tyres weigh around 13.5 kgs each, versus the standard at about 18 kgs.

Dry bas**rd!
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 06:01