displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Suspension struts bolts
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
hi went to fit a strut brace today and when i tightened the bolts back up it appears the screws have misthreaded as they would not tighten. its one bolt on each side, i this ok? or do i need to get the car rethreaded? i think im making sense lol

Phase 2 Blaze GTi 6 (Standard) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged China GTi 6 (249.8 BHP) Sold
Phase 3 Supercharged Diablo GTi 6 (443 BHP)Sold
Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:58
lwgti-6

Senior User

Post #2
Depends or not if you want to risk it....Might be worth just getting them re-threaded for piece of mind. I know what i'd do. Failing that, just buy a new set of top mounts.

Are you sure that they have been cross threaded? They are a little pain to fit when installing a strut brace.

EX Bianca 6 owner,
Now drives: Octavia vRS
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 01:15
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
wont that be alot tho? well i never got round to doing the strut brace because i relised that i needed longer bolts. but when i went to put them back in, i didnt cross thread them, they just screwed all the way in, but tighen most of the way but then just sort of give up and go loose again. prob because they hadnt been out for 12years? do you think it could be the bolts

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 01:19
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Drill and tap them out to the next size up. Shouldn't be too difficultSmile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:17
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
grrrr sometimes i really wonder why i have this crapy 12year old car!!! all i wanted to do is put a brace on... WHY CANT THEY STILL MAKE 306s!

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
The top mount only has ~2.5/3 threads in it, all the bolts are for are to locate the struts and stop the suspension falling off when the car is in the air, they're not meant to be torqued right up.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:22
ballardpaul

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
oh ok so as long as there is some sort of catch on the bolts, which there is then it will be fine, specially as the other two of either side are fine? also should i use that locktight stuff on them?

Nissan 350Z (300 BHP)
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 02:24
rik19

Post #8
wow you have exactley the same issue as me, i bought my 306 and it has a strut brace fitted, but needed to remove and refit it the other day, and the previous owner must of really tightend em up cos only 2 on each side catch, the the other 2 have been over tightend, so wont tighten now..
Posted 8th Oct 2009 at 02:10