displaying posts 26 to 50 of 111

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: Fast road cams...
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #26
lotek wrote:
kenny had his car cammed at pugperformance, meaning his is not mapped. and his is fine???

is there any truth in what this company are saying??
i popped down there today, and asked about cams , he said you dont need a remap .
are they just saying that because they are not able to map themselves??

I would'nt trust Colin any further than I could throw him Dry

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:28
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
colin was away. this was the other lad.

i wanted to buy a few things but he said i gta wait till colins back.

so how many of you are running cams unmapped?
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:32
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
i've always thought the car should still run with cams unmapped just slightly rougher an idle abit worse than if it were mapped

personally i'd have it remapped
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:39
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Those cams colin passes off as his design are just piper cams he buys in bulk and then etches stuff on them and they are pretty mild thats why they run ok with out a map.

Peugeotdave has a set of those cams in his car, once its built up and mapped will soon see how good or crapthey are
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:40
maz-306-xs

Senior User

Post #30
quite an interesting thread for me, considering cams if i know i wouldnt have to fork out over a grand for them to run.

thing is, my engine has been skimmed after a belt snap and im worried abut how lairy i can go with cams. id probably go with piper cams as i live 2 seconds from the place. any advice?

banned for drifting. back in the s**tbox scene.
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:45
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Closed Loop - An O2 sensor is used to monitor the air/fuel ratio and is used primarily under cruise conditions at light throttle opening (generally below 25% throttle opening) to achieve air/fuel ratios within a predetermined window of values. Ideally lambda 1 (14.7:1 Air Fuel Ratio). The standard ECU trims injector duty cycle (amount of fuel) only and does not trim ignition advance in closed loop

Once the ECU is out of closed loop,IE Foot Down, it reverts to predetermined fuel and ignition tables. There is no or little learning facility in this mode. It is very easy for you to bring the ECU out of closed loop. A light stab on the throttle will bring the mixtures outside those able to be monitored by the O2 sensor

Says it all really , will f*ck your engine over time. and wont get much improvement
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:55
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
its quite simple. you get uprated cams in your car, you get more power. if you dont get it mapped, you may gain, say, 8 bhp (dependant on cams) whereas if you do get it mapped with stand-alone ecu, you can look at gains of 15-20bhp+ with smoother running and better mpg than if it were not mapped.
As said above, why get cams but not get a remap??? pointless! You get what you pay for. Wink

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:52
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #33
chris with a pug wrote:
Those cams colin passes off as his design are just piper cams he buys in bulk and then etches stuff on them and they are pretty mild thats why they run ok with out a map.

Peugeotdave has a set of those cams in his car, once its built up and mapped will soon see how good or crapthey are

His should make more power as his C/R is increased and with those big valve cutouts he will safely be able to run with more advance than the guys running standard pistons.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 1st Oct 2009 at 23:57
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
collin seems lieka sound bloke, but people take him the wrong way. i have herd equal amoutn of stories abotu pug performance and collin and i think i would give them a go. the piper 270 cams dont need a re map as the standard ecu can cope. i fuel pressure reulator is advised to produce the ectra fuel. collins rally is runnign this and so is ollies gti-6 , mine will be shortly as im goign down this route

ph3 gti-6 china blue- mint condition
ph2 gti-6 nile blue K.I.A dec 2010
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 03:44
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
collin does not havr the mapping facilities on site but he does use a local place to map his cars. obviosly he belives that you dont have to mapp them on this set up.

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 03:46
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #36
gtomi-6 wrote:
collin seems lieka sound bloke, but people take him the wrong way. i have herd equal amoutn of stories abotu pug performance and collin and i think i would give them a go. the piper 270 cams dont need a re map as the standard ecu can cope. i fuel pressure reulator is advised to produce the ectra fuel. collins rally is runnign this and so is ollies gti-6 , mine will be shortly as im goign down this route

Well you take your chances then, he does have a reputation for ripping people off, and I'm making no accusations but I have heard a lot of stories about parts going missing from customers cars left at his place. I certainly would'nt leave a car with him for more than it takes to do the job and go. He knows his stuff, and if he likes you you may be treated ok. Personally I would'nt touch his place with a barge pole after some of the stories I've heard.

Harness bars
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 03:50
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
really that bad
at the end of the day aslong as i get MY car back when i was told it would eb due back thats ll i care about. but ollie told me that the cams can be done with otu any other engine work. direct swap so i mgiht get my mate to do them

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 04:06
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
If you look on the piper website they say the 270's dont require mapping but the 285 do.

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 04:35
availablebmx

Regular

Post #39
Hi all... Got my 6 back yesterday sporting all new goodies, including the pp head and piper 272 cams in question...
Finally got to go for a decent drive today, and I'm very impressed! I have noticed a definite increase in power and throttle reponse...
I'm getting my car valeted on tues, so I will get some pics and start up a newbie thread!
Also got a power run on tues also, which will be interesting Smile
Thanks for the help... She's running awesome now!

Thomas - Black 6 rollin' on black 15's...
197bhp - 155.8bhp/135.4ft-lb atw
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 06:17
availablebmx

Regular

Post #40
...oh and no re-map!

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 06:21
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
look forward to your power run , see what it makes.

how much did the bill come to if you dont mind me asking?

cams and fitting? also did you get your old ones back
Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 07:33
availablebmx

Regular

Post #42
Well I replaced the whole head with a longmans head and cams, which was a simple swap...

Posted 2nd Oct 2009 at 14:16
cadz39

Regular

Post #43
intresting. my rallye's away getting cammed at the moment with pug1off. Matt from there also said that it doesn't need remapping when i asked. i'll wait to see how yours turns out then dicide what to do.
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 05:28
gtomi-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
are these the piper 270h cams. I take it you gave pug performance 600 quid and for that you got a longmans head and cams. i will be doing the same setup but might have to get collin to supply the head as im gettin a mate to do the work

Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 16:45
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
dont think he got the head from pp but i might be wrong.
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 19:28
pugheaven

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
you DONT need it to be mapped, if anythin its other companies tryin to get you to spend more when you dont need it, granted you might gain a little from a map. If all there companies say you dont, it means you dont
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 21:49
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
^I'd always remap with a different cam, you tend to end up overfuelling down low and running a touch lean up top, the exact place where either will do the most damage...
Can I ask where it says a remap is not needed in the Piper catalogue? Because as far as I can see, it doesn't.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 19:36
bulldogs

Senior User

Post #48
You do not have to map mild camsRoll eyes
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 19:55
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Well thanks for the highly technical contribution...

Your engine would 'run' with 320* race cams in, badly, but it'd run...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 20:09
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #50
why would you not map them for cams? losing out on bhp there.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 3rd Oct 2009 at 21:02

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 .. last