displaying posts 26 to 50 of 101

Pages (5): 1 [2] 3 .. last

Author Subject: better handling without strutbrace
captian pugwash

Regular

Post #26
I never have, and probably never will understand just exactly what benefit a strut brace does on a road car?, I can understand with rallying and crashing over bumps and jumping and stuff, but just exactly how much do the strut tops move on the road?, bearing in mind the wings are securely fixed to the strut tops and my bonnet has about 1mm each side clearance and there is no sign of one touching the other despite pie tins being made from sturdier steel? so if (im fairly sure) my strut tops haven't really moved much beyond 1mm is it really necessary?, or more a placebo effect? id like to learn
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 07:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Where the bloody hell's my microscope gone?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 07:01
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
captian pugwash wrote:
I never have, and probably never will understand just exactly what benefit a strut brace does on a road car?, I can understand with rallying and crashing over bumps and jumping and stuff, but just exactly how much do the strut tops move on the road?, bearing in mind the wings are securely fixed to the strut tops and my bonnet has about 1mm each side clearance and there is no sign of one touching the other despite pie tins being made from sturdier steel? so if (im fairly sure) my strut tops haven't really moved much beyond 1mm is it really necessary?, or more a placebo effect? id like to learn

well il leave you in the capable hands of phill , im off to have suprise sex with the mrs. ....
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 07:04
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
captian pugwash wrote:

You'd notice the tracking being out by 1mm easily...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 07:04
captian pugwash

Regular

Post #30
phillipm wrote:
captian pugwash wrote:

You'd notice the tracking being out by 1mm easily...

really? (and stick with me here im not trying to argue or upset folk, more wanting to learn) but 1mm at the top dosnt equate to 1mm at the track rod ends, it would if the track rods were positioned at the top (bit like old vauxhalls) but even so its not the same as 1mm tracking out all the time, just when under severe deflection? (i think)
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 07:16
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
No it's not the same, but just trying to illustrate how easily you can feel slight changes, so even smaller changes would result in subtly felt responses.
I think perhaps the main thing is when you encounter mid-corner potholes/bumps, the shock can flex the chassis (and the strut itself, hence the availability of inverted struts), which is when you notice the difference most.
It's why you notice the effects even more on uprated suspension, it's not that you're cornering any harder as such, it's that the chassis is enduring larger shock loads.

P.S. - Stick your fingers between the door and the roof when you're passengering in someone's car and you'll see how much even a modern chassis flexes!

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 19:02
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
lotek wrote:
captian pugwash wrote:

well il leave you in the capable hands of phill , im off to have suprise sex with the mrs. ....

Surprise in that she didnt know about it LOL

Gotta get my strut brace on now to see the difference Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 19:49
captian pugwash

Regular

Post #33
phillipm wrote:

I think perhaps the main thing is when you encounter mid-corner potholes/bumps, the shock can flex the chassis (and the strut itself, hence the availability of inverted struts), which is when you notice the difference most.

P.S. - Stick your fingers between the door and the roof when you're passengering in someone's car and you'll see how much even a modern chassis flexes!

cheers for the response, and what you say about keeping the chassis taut on bad roads whilst cornering etc makes sense, suppose it throws my mind into doubt then all the people who claim they can do 90 round mini roundabouts since fitting a strut brace and this is where my confusion was centred, bit like getting an extra 40 bhp for fitting a filter and so forth, gotta stop going on pug306net LOL
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 22:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
There was certainly a difference even on smooth roundabouts with a lower brace on mine - but a little bit of flex down there has far more effect than the same amount at the top.
It's not just me fooling myself either 'cause I've had a couple of people mention it after fitting them LOL

Email me!
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 22:51
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
captian pugwash wrote:
phillipm wrote:

cheers for the response, and what you say about keeping the chassis taut on bad roads whilst cornering etc makes sense, suppose it throws my mind into doubt then all the people who claim they can do 90 round mini roundabouts since fitting a strut brace and this is where my confusion was centred, bit like getting an extra 40 bhp for fitting a filter and so forth, gotta stop going on pug306net LOL

i can enter a mini roundabout at 110 and exit in the opposite direction at 100 mph

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 18th Sep 2009 at 04:11
puglover Banned!

Post #36
they dont do anything up top except firm up the suspension and make the steering feel abit tighter.

Worth it though just as the feel of the car is abit more solid with one fitted.
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 23:01
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
lotek wrote:
hah ok ,

what you doing awake at this hour? ive been clubbing lol

What were you doing in so early you lightweight? LOL

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 23:27
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
its a wednesday, lol no late night clubs around unless you hit london
Posted 17th Sep 2009 at 23:28
ry

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
I have an E-tech strut brace and I swear it does naff all. It doesn't look very sturdy. It came with the car so hopefully I can get some dollar back before I get a proper one.

How much are these OMP's?

Turbocharged Honda Integra Type R DC2
Posted 18th Sep 2009 at 01:46
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Thats because the E-tech ones are shite.

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 22nd Sep 2009 at 04:13
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
LOL

Email me!
Posted 22nd Sep 2009 at 04:17
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
phil are you doing any more lower ones in the near future??
andy

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 22nd Sep 2009 at 04:18
lukejenks101

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
farmer wrote:
Thats because the E-tech ones are shite.

+1
Birk used to have one fitted to his cars and look what happened to them....

PS3 I.D - jenkers101

Live i.d - Lukejenks1201
Posted 22nd Sep 2009 at 04:20
denwar

Regular

Post #44
dont think a strut brace makes any diffrence whatsoever, other than reduce the cars handling! pug dont spend thousands and thousands of pounds on developing there cars suspension and geometrie for someone to throw on a bit of steel pole and make handling a hundred times better, these cars handle best with a good quality suspension kit that doesnt vary too much from manufacturers stock ride height, 205 and 306 is by far the best handling car on the roads, even by todays standards, they can outhandle most modern cars on the track. power to the pugs........

denwar
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 01:28
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
LOL

I suppose they don't benefit from more camber, better dampers, better bushes or different sized arb's either...

Email me!
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 01:33
denwar

Regular

Post #46
i didnt question that! read the thread son, it was about a strut brace.

denwar
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 02:10
sosmotorsport

Regular

Post #47
telt

SOS Motorsport
www.sosmotorsport.co.uk
450bhp 205 16v Turbo
www.facebook.com/pages/SOS-Motorsport/159917677353556
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 02:12
denwar

Regular

Post #48
putty nose goons, young lads jusy dont listen these days.....

denwar
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 02:20
sosmotorsport

Regular

Post #49
true denwar true

SOS Motorsport
www.sosmotorsport.co.uk
450bhp 205 16v Turbo
www.facebook.com/pages/SOS-Motorsport/159917677353556
Posted 13th Oct 2009 at 02:30
welshpug!