displaying posts 1 to 25 of 125

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: Fox Shox rear dampers - interest thread
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Right, now they're finally done, just wondered who's interested in possibly having a set of Fox rears, pending some reviews and confirmed prices of course, just an interest thread to see what sort of numbers were looking at (the more we get, the less the shipping cost is per set...)
The cost for a pair is going to be approx.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 06:06
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Ninja

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 06:10
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
LOL

Maybe that should be -1 given you were after some before the first production set even came over LOL

I can have them chromed if you want 'em to be shinier than Johns LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 06:16
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Can you give me a list of benefits over stndard performance shocks Phil? Cheers Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 15:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Like I say, I'll give proper specifications tonight, but you'll get much, much less fade - because the OEM/cheap 'uprated' rear damper is so small with so much leverage on it, it tends to run at around 70-80* on a bumpy road - which leads to quite a large loss in damping control.
I'll get some generic graphs up later to show the effect - because these have such a large piston, are a monotube design, and carry a lot more oil and nitrogen than even something like a Grp N bilstien rear, the oil temperatures are kept much lower and more consistant.

More control on the low-speed damper movements because of the much bigger piston area,(vital given the wheel speed is 2.5x high than the damper speed).
They're fully rebuildable/servicable, and of course, you get the option of a free bump in rear spring rate without buying new torsion bars - great for the car's balance/ride if you're just running heavier springs up front at the minute.

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 20:23
rikky 🦔

Post #6
would like to see full spec, your other thread went on for ages and it's hard to sieve into out of it LOL

im watching Yes

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 20:45
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Would i get a discount on some fronts Whistle Wink

Just Drive It
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 21:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Okay, tech. spec:

High-pressure (up to 260psi) nitrogen gas-charged monotube damper

2.0 inch diameter, honed-bore seamless alloy body

Anodised billet alloy high-flow main piston (46mm, high flow CFD-designed), caps, and shaft supports.

5/8" Alloy steel shaft, heat treated and hard chrome plated. (often called triple chrome elsewhere, as there are two base layers).

Twin wiper/dust seals, 3 internal shaft/oil seals.

PTFE-coated Phosphor-Bronze main shaft support.

[b]Heat-treated, teflon-lined, stainless steel spherical bearings at either end (Aurora - these 4 bearings alone retail at

Email me!
Posted 16th Sep 2009 at 16:20
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
phillipm wrote:
Optional rear spring rate assistance, to save you a hell of a lot of money on new torsion bars, from 15lb/inch up to 35lb/inch.

Is that lb/in damper stroke or lb/in wheel travel? Basically I'm being thick and am wondering what the relative difference means once on the car. I MAY be interesetd in a set of these for the 205 in the future, but that depends on finances which I've been in short supply of for a while, so I won't get in the way and put my name down yet.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 22:37
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
lb/inch on the wheel rate - basically a 10-25% increase depending on what you want.

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 23:30
24seven

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
ahh, gotcha Smile.

Ph1 306 GTi 6 | RX8 231 S1 | YBR 125 Cafe Racer | MT-03 660
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 23:40
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Not be much cop if it was the damper rate LOL

There's a full 12 month warranty against defects too. Smile

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 23:44
rage buggy

Post #13
phillipm wrote:
Okay, tech. spec:

High-pressure (up to 260psi) nitrogen gas-charged monotube damper

2.0 inch diameter, honed-bore seamless alloy body.

Anodised billet alloy high-flow main piston, caps, and shaft supports.

5/8" Alloy steel shaft, heat treated and hard chrome plated.

Twin wiper/dust seals, 3 internal shaft/oil seals.

PTFE-coated Phosphor-Bronze main shaft support.

[b]Heat-treated, teflon-lined, stainless steel spherical bearings at either end (Aurora - these 4 bearings alone retail at
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 23:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Only single adjustable:

quote:

Optional 8-position compression adjuster in the remote reservoirs... ...the 2 highest settings also adjust the rebound to keep the compression/rebound damping ratio sensible.

I am working on a seperate rebound adjuster, which would be available as a retrofittable upgrade later on

Email me!
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 23:59
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Who are Fox? Never really heard of them so some background would be good, As you know a 12 month warranty on something is no good if the company goes bust

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 00:12
rage buggy

Post #16
phillipm wrote:
Only single adjustable:

quote:

Optional 8-position compression adjuster in the remote reservoirs... ...the 2 highest settings also adjust the rebound to keep the compression/rebound damping ratio sensible.

I am working on a seperate rebound adjuster, which would be available as a retrofittable upgrade later on
ok, that sounds interesting but I haven't seen Fox shocks used on road cars before. They're usually used on off road vehicles . I'm having a set of Intrax shocks made for my 306 at the moment which will be 2way adjustable so I would like to see what the difference is between yoursSmile
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 00:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
miles wrote:
Who are Fox? Never really heard of them so some background would be good, As you know a 12 month warranty on something is no good if the company goes bust

An absolutely massive US high-performance company who make millions of dampers per year, big name in the Off road rally world, Dakar, Bikes, snowmobiles, etc.

I will personally honour the 12 month defect warranty even if the apocalypse arrives.

Email me!
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 16:57
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
rage buggy wrote:
ok, that sounds interesting but I haven't seen Fox shocks used on road cars before. They're usually used on off road vehicles . I'm having a set of Intrax shocks made for my 306 at the moment which will be 2way adjustable so I would like to see what the difference is between yoursSmile

They've been used before on tarmac with good success - in fact some off-road nut using them in NASCAR in the late 70's is credited with converting the entire US racing scene over to monotubes LOL

As for the difference, price mainly I would guess LOL

Email me!
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 00:59
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I'm interested but it won't be this year.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 01:32
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Here ya go Miles, not exactly relevant to our Peugeot's but:

Email me!
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 04:53
rikky 🦔

Post #21
are these anything to do with the bike and motocross company? 'fox' rings a bell from years ago with motocross

looks good eitherway

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 04:59
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #22
yup, that's them Big grin

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 05:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Yes, same company - Fox Racing Shox

Email me!
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 05:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Quick update to a few inquiries I've had as per using these for club rallying, mainly from the 205 lads, but I'll put it here too just in case:

1) These are probably less likely to blow a seal out on heavy landings than the Billy Grp N's, as the gas pressure remains fairly constant and the shock will run much cooler, preventing cavitation.

2) Rebuilds are quite cheap - new piston bands, o-rings/x-rings and fresh oil comes to about

Email me!
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 15:14
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Could be intrested in a set then

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 8th Sep 2009 at 15:42

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 .. last