displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: coilover set up
rufio306

Regular

Post #1
bought a 2nd hand set of avo coilovers on here ages ago and only getting round to fitting them now.

have them on now and theres a bad clunking noise when you turn the wheels both stationary and moving.

i was looking at them as i was putting them on and thinking there should be a locking ring and an adjustment ring. you can see the set up in these pictures

i fitted new top mounts, bearings, droplinks, track rod ends, and ball joints. everything is tight and thats why i think its something to do with the coilovers themselves.

there is a grubscrew in the bottom adjustment ring, but its plastic and doesnt seem to do much.

as fas as i can see the spring and adjustment ring are turning with the wheels and making the noise.

anyone shed any light? any advice appreciated.

also one of the rear shocks is missing a bush one end, is it possible to get these? you can see it in this pic

thanks again for any help Smile

Posted 6th Sep 2009 at 23:57
rich-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
There should have been a lockring or at leat you'd have thought also not sure if the Avos run Helper springs too hopefully someone will be able to answer ;unsure

I think Mabz used to run Avos Might be worth a pm?

Cool

RIP Pete Sims
Posted 7th Sep 2009 at 00:16
rufio306

Regular

Post #3
anyone have these or similar and know, well any more than i do really lol,

as i turn the wheel the spring is turning too which im pretty sure shouldnt be happening, its making a terrible noise.

thanks again

Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 00:57
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
If it's got a grub screw then it probably doesn't have a locking ring, they use that sometimes to allow you to run the car lower without going coilbound.
The spring platform should move with the steering, it's locked to the body with that grub screw...

Avo will sell you a bush to fit if you ring them (so will Gaz, who'll rebuild Avo's if you ring them)

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 01:04
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
My weitecs do this sometimes, clunk and clang always after ive had it jacked up and have been messing around with them.

I find playing around with (rotating) the top hat that couples the springs or in your case coilovers to the bearing in the top mount sorts out the problem.

Im my case if I rotate it as far around as possible clockwise the wider part of it will contact the chassis and stop it travelling any further - now rotate it as far possible the other way (anti-clockwise) and the same thing will happen.

The turn on mine is about 330 degrees from turned fully clockwise to turned fully anti-clockwise.

You can then find the widest point of the top hat and move it to its furthest point facing away from the chassis (towards you).

Obviously you wanna do this with your steering wheel straight ahead.

This stops the top hat from fouling the chassis when turning left and right and getting stuck causing the coils to move about instead.

I also notice on mine when I rotate the top hat you can see the coils tilt slightly left and right over the damper when turning from left to right.

After ive done this on mine it tends to settle down and not make any more irritating clunks or clangs.

Hope this helpsUnsure

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 01:25