displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: 306 Maxi Wheels
crf450

Senior User

Post #1
As some people may know I'm rebuilding my car to race in the LMA next year. I was meant to be racing this year but I've got a bit more involved in the rebuild than I wanted to and now everything on the car is different apart from the basic shell.
What I'm trying to do is to widen the track to maxi spec which is I've done on the rear and I'm just doing on the front.
My problem is I've bought some ET0 offset 9" by 17" wheels which is the only offset I can get away with to give me clearance on the strut, but because I've got to run this offset should I not go as wide with my wishbones?
I had intended to go 40mm wider but now I'm thinking of going only 24mm wider to achieve a similar track to what the works car ran but this is all assuming the works car ran a conventional 306 sort of offset which would be around ET16.
Its a pretty safe guess to assume they ran bespoke uprights which may have allowed them to run a different offset without compromising the steering geometry but although I have a design for these in my head I want to get the car on track before I tackle these.
Any opinions greatly appreciated,cheers Martin.

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 18:37
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
My dimma runs a 0 offset on the front martin and thats with the 40mm wider wishbones, with the diff, torque steer is hard to handle aswell Sad

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 18:59
hman205

Regular

Post #3
arn't the Maxi front hubs similar to this on the works cars?

Another Broken one

Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 18:59
hman205

Regular

Post #4

Another Broken one

Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 19:04
crf450

Senior User

Post #5
Dan, what size wheels are you running?

Quote "da g man!"
"You've only got to watch the "306 vs ringtaxi" video & you soon realise how good these mod's are! That guy is running Ash's 30mm ARB, Solid Mounts & 23mm Torsion Bars & some adjustments on the camber. Admittedly, the guy is an awesome driver, but it just go's to show how well these cars can handle with the right modification's
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 19:18
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
17" x 8, just the normal dimma wheels for now

I plan to get something a little lighter at some point, but i'll need axle spacers at the back (

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 20:15
allanallen

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Ears lent us a speedline 16x7 gravel wheel to have a play with a while back, they rekoned it had come off a maxi. The et was huge, we needed a 40+ mm spacer to get them anything like on a 205.

www.bridgecraftmotorsport.co.uk

Facebook
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 21:16
crf450

Senior User

Post #8
That makes sense Allan,looking at hman205's pics (ta for them) its looks like the works uprights were designed to run with a big offset wheel as the strut is much further away from the inside of the wheel which would allow them to use a wide rim and retain steering centerline in the center of the rim.

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 24th Aug 2009 at 22:10
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
This thread is useless without pics MartinNinja

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 00:19
crf450

Senior User

Post #10
Wayne,I've done everything I planned with the beam and I've got the weight down to 45kgs from 67.
It is all done but in pieces either being anodised,plated or painted.
Should be on the car in a week or so and I'll post some pics then.
cheers Martin

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 02:42
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
crf450 wrote:
Wayne,I've done everything I planned with the beam and I've got the weight down to 45kgs from 67.
It is all done but in pieces either being anodised,plated or painted.
Should be on the car in a week or so and I'll post some pics then.
cheers Martin

I'll get my Kleenex out ready thenLaugh my ass off

Cool

Team 330™Cool
Posted 27th Aug 2009 at 00:53
mandic

Post #12
Since the topics is about Maxi wheels, if anyone knows any 2013 Speedline in 18x8 for sale please let me know,

Thanks

Ziga
Posted 27th Aug 2009 at 00:59
martinj

Regular

Post #13
Hi Martin,

The 306 maxis did not run as wide a wheel as you have, from memory they were running a 200mm wide tyre, so would assume they were on an 8inch wide rim at most. Looking at pictures of the front of a maxi, the caliper is fairly close to the back face of the rim, which again would suggest that they aren't running an offset too far from standard. Looking at the pictures earlier in the thread, it looks like the hub is being used to 'adapt' the angle of the damper + they will be built to run bigger bearings and pick up the calipers without brackets.

I run a 7x17 front rim, with a 20mm spacer + the 40mm wider dimma track and that brings my car pretty close to the maxi track width on the front. The 7 inch rim width suited the tyre widths that I run for the class of rally that I am in.

Hope some of that helps - have you switched to a coilover set up on the rear or widened the standard set up?

Martin

- Maxi rear axle hub spacers +53mm per side
- Maxi front steering rack extensions +40mm per side
Posted 21st Sep 2009 at 01:50
crf450

Senior User

Post #14
martinj wrote:
Hi Martin,

The 306 maxis did not run as wide a wheel as you have, from memory they were running a 200mm wide tyre, so would assume they were on an 8inch wide rim at most. Looking at pictures of the front of a maxi, the caliper is fairly close to the back face of the rim, which again would suggest that they aren't running an offset too far from standard. Looking at the pictures earlier in the thread, it looks like the hub is being used to 'adapt' the angle of the damper + they will be built to run bigger bearings and pick up the calipers without brackets.

I run a 7x17 front rim, with a 20mm spacer + the 40mm wider dimma track and that brings my car pretty close to the maxi track width on the front. The 7 inch rim width suited the tyre widths that I run for the class of rally that I am in.

Hope some of that helps - have you switched to a coilover set up on the rear or widened the standard set up?

Martin

Thanks for that,no I haven't switched to coilovers as the class I started building the car for wouldn't allow it,I've got my extra track from bespoke hubs and ET0 wheels.

Quote "da g man!"
Posted 23rd Sep 2009 at 18:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
IMO your going along the right lines of reasoning - my front wishbones give only 25mm of extra track width, but even with that I've dropped the wheels back to ET29 to try to keep the scrub radius of the wheel fairly sensible (I've gone a bit far really, but there wasn't much choice of a halfway house)

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 23rd Sep 2009 at 18:55
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Any more news on this Martin??

Cool

Team 330™Cool