displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: a/c problems
chef

Junior User

Post #1
Hi all. I have replaced a few 30A fuse for the a/c(#21) til I ran out of sparesSad

The fuse was alright when when ignition off, whe I turn on the ignition, the fuse just pop, at the same time the interior fan was blowing on high speed just before the fuse pop, then it stop. The a/c light was not on.

I've read the FAQ reagarding the a/c repair. It sound complicated just to remove the centre console, as I think I am not very confident in removing the centre console. I bought more fuses and planning to give it another go tonight. I like to believe the car pug is sometime temperamental.

What lead to this? Recently I have a few issue with starting up the car, due to the new replacement battery is slight lower height than previous battery, the positve connection on the battery sometimes does not contact properly. In most case, ignition was ok, fuel pump running, and it just click when I try to start the engine.

I just move the positive cable on the battery and it start. Same thing happen yesterday, I notice the car start up, but the a/c and blower is not working...

Just wonder if anyone have similar issue? There's a short somewhere, fuse blown everytime on ignitionSad grrr...
Posted 6th Aug 2009 at 05:17
chef

Junior User

Post #2
Sad no luck... blown 2 more fuse. grrr...
Posted 6th Aug 2009 at 15:47
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
That will more than likely be the diode, i'm afraid your gonna have to remove the panel to fix it. If you print out the FAQ so you've got it in front of you and take your time it's not a hard job, and if you get stuck or not sure on something i'm sure we can help.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 6th Aug 2009 at 23:17
chef

Junior User

Post #4
Cheers. I printed out the FAQ, had a quick look last night without take out the panel. Just feel a bit noob about it, everyone has his first timeWink Will give it a go tonight.

Where is a good place to source the zener diode? pug dealer? Online?
Posted 7th Aug 2009 at 04:04
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
LOL good luck getting the zener diode from pug, the parts guy will look at you as if your speaking Martian or something then try and charge you a fortune for a new a/c control circuit. I've come across the diode on line before but haven't found anybody who sold it. The circuit will work fine with out it but it's not protected from the voltage spikes etc in the supply so it's life may be shortened.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 7th Aug 2009 at 08:49
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #6
i should try taking said diode to RS they should be able to point you in the right direction, or Maplins. Wink

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 7th Aug 2009 at 13:52
chef

Junior User

Post #7
If anyone can supply me the diode code or number or any form of idendification for the diode, I can get them from my bossSmile
Posted 8th Aug 2009 at 07:41
chef

Junior User

Post #8
Finally have the time and guts to do the panel removal, nothing breaks, just wish I have smaller hand. I've been reading up the FAQ til I memorised itWink

Did the diagnostic, it is the zener/TVS diode that burnt up. hopefully nothing else.

Just wonder what is the specification for the diode if anyone else manage to source it? The closest I found is made by Littelfuse (www.littelfuse.com/part/SLD24-018.html) which have the same marking "SLD 24" (Part number: SLD24-018). Not too sure if it is the right one? It got Vso (stand-off voltage) of 24V, is it bit high?

Can't wait to get it fixSmile And thank to help from all involve.
Posted 17th Aug 2009 at 17:53
chef

Junior User

Post #9
Got a quote for the SLD24-018 diode... 14.75 USD each (minimum 5) plus 35 USD for shipping to aus from uk. Good? Bad? Any comment?

I'm going ahead with itSmile
Posted 19th Aug 2009 at 03:48
yippeekayay

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
chef wrote:
Got a quote for the SLD24-018 diode... 14.75 USD each (minimum 5) plus 35 USD for shipping to aus from uk. Good? Bad? Any comment?

I'm going ahead with itSmile

will buy one of you too... after dan stripped my spare mine has gone tooo.... fecking peugeots,, got no heater blower motor too it all stopped at the same time...?????

306 less for first time in nearly 7 years. Lets keep it that way... please refuse any offers i make to buy your 306 ( doctors letter supplied by request)

Marmite and cheese sandwiches anyone???

Burns and Mcrae will be forever missed.
x box "yippeekayaymofo"
Posted 21st Aug 2009 at 17:49
chef

Junior User

Post #11
Smile Alright. I've place an order for minimum 5 diodes. But if you are in UK, why not try to get it from Apex Eletronics, they are the only one in the world who still have 5 in stock. I bought the other 5. It's very overpriced, 100USD for 5 diodes.

http://www.apexelectronics.co.uk/ speak to Russell Taylor. More contact info can be found on the website.
Posted 22nd Aug 2009 at 06:40
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I've followed this up with Russell Taylor here in the UK. With the VAT and postage, they still come in at

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 15:06
mark-house

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
so are these the correct diodes? and do you just have remove the old one and solder in the new one?

Peugeot 306 GTi 6
BMW 320 td compact M-sport
1967 Mini Cooper
1990 Jaguar XJR 4.0
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 15:12
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
mark-house wrote:
so are these the correct diodes? and do you just have remove the old one and solder in the new one?

There's been two threads quoting the same part number on the component so should be the correct number.

Just remember to solder the new one in the same way as the old one came out and you should be fine so long as you don't heat it up for too long.

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 25th Aug 2009 at 15:42
chef

Junior User

Post #15
I found out the diode from the marking it was previously made by STMicroelectronics (http://www.st.com/stonline/index.htm), those made by Littelfuse has different marking on it. All the physical dimensions are correctSmile

Not too sure if the the right one, or if they change the spec. Atleast from the board it shows it is a bidirectional diode... there still a chance it is not the right one.

Well, I got an e-mail, mine was shipped on Tuesday, grrr... still pricey, well, just be glad it still cheaper than a new control panel and your panel got 4 more lives. Will let you know when I get it here. Hopefully today or tomorrow, I paid 35bux for the shipping!!!
Posted 27th Aug 2009 at 03:48
chef

Junior User

Post #16
Got the diode todaySmile Solder it in and it worksWink on 5pounds for postage but they charged 35USD for postage!! what a rip off.
Now I have 4 diodes leftSmile
Posted 2nd Sep 2009 at 17:40