displaying posts 1 to 25 of 46

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Largest 15" wheels for clearance
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Having test fitted my new AP calipers to the car today, I now know that Team Dynamics 1.2s 15" do not fit over them (CP3307 calipers, 310mm 2piece rotors)

What other options are there in 15" that have better clearance then TD's?

Or shall I just give up and go to 16"?

Cheers
Chris

Long live the Sigma 6 Big grin
Team Phase 1 supercharged

XBL ID: farmer uk1
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:00
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Sound's like its going to have to be some 16's. Yes However someone will be along to tell us otherwise. Laugh my ass off

I do have a set of TD pro 1.2's that I may sell at some point soon. Smile

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 00:41
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Problem is that my std calipers are f00ked, and I am going away to the 'Ring in 2 weeks, so I need 2 sets of wheels within 2 weeks, or another set of std calipers and sack the ap's off for the time being. Dry

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:02
fletch

Track Head

Post #4
Compomotive CXRs are hard to beat. Massive clearance and extremeley light wheels. Look great in matt black Cool

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:07
fletch

Track Head

Post #5
Ah are you talking about disc to wheel clearance as with 310mm I think you'll struggle.

I assumed you were talking lateral caliper to wheel clearance.
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:09
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Sorry Matt, I should have made that clear. I think the spoke clearance will be fine tbh, its just the size of the buggers.

My TD's are very close to fitting, its just the part on the inside near to the spokes is slightly smaller then the rest of the internal area.

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:16
fletch

Track Head

Post #7
16" TDS?
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 01:43
Denis

Regular

Post #8
Chris,
Sorry to hear that, I have CP3307 with 295 discs and Pro Race 1.2 have about 5mm of clearance.

Pro Race 2

Cherry Red Rallye Project thread
WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 02:33
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I have 315mm discs under 15's! I could have fit 325mm discs if I could have found some for a reasonable price. Another option is to get brackets made up which will set the caliper further towards the inner arch. Down side is that you will also need new bells but the brackets and bells may well cost less than a new set of wheels.

If not I have speedline Type 2020-

expensive

but they are

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:17
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I've a spare set of standard calipers you can borrow if needs be too. Let me knowSmile

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:12
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
fletch wrote:
16" TDS?

I have been hunting about on the 'bay for any lightweight 16" wheels tonight going for a bargin, but no such luck yet.

Im not massivly fussed what the road wheels are like, but I would like lightweight wheels for track atleast.

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:36
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
russian guy wrote:
Chris,
Sorry to hear that, I have CP3307 with 295 discs and Pro Race 1.2 have about 5mm of clearance.

Pro Race 2

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:36
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
pete_rallye wrote:
I have 315mm discs under 15's! I could have fit 325mm discs if I could have found some for a reasonable price. Another option is to get brackets made up which will set the caliper further towards the inner arch. Down side is that you will also need new bells but the brackets and bells may well cost less than a new set of wheels.

If not I have speedline Type 2020-

expensive

but they are

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:40
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
SteviePut wrote:
I've a spare set of standard calipers you can borrow if needs be too. Let me knowSmile

Cheers for the offer Steve Thumbs up
I will speak to Denis first and let you know.

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:40
Denis

Regular

Post #15
CP3307 are lug mounted

WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:42
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I would give it a go first, spacer the caliper back, and then also, just using 4 bolts or so, space the disc back as well from the bell, get it as close to the ball joint as you can (leave a mm or 2 for movement during cornering). If it fits and the wheels fit then let us know how much you have spacered them back, send us a bell and I should be able to get some made in a few days (can't guarantee it though). Alternatively do the same and take them to a local engineering firm and they will be able to do the same. If you have time get the bells anodised to prevent them corroding. Another thought! Try compbrake for bells, very helpful ad will make whatever you ask for, not sure on timescales though.

Oh, and if you have the same brakes as Denis, which are the same brakes I had, 295mm discs are plenty good enough, they were the best brake I ever had, inc the ones on my btcc car. Absolutely phenomenal stopping power for the size of the discs. Only thing I found was I got a lot of vibration through the wheel after a lot of hard braking. If you take the disc off, clean the hub and clean the grooves out on the disc, bit of emery paper on the disc and they were fine for the next 3 or 4 laps of the ring.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:58
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
I think they are the same calipers as Denis, but I can only ascertain that the mounting holes are drilled lower down the lug then his are to allow for running the larger disks.

Otherwise I cant see how his fit and mine dont when we are using the same wheels.

Thats a great idea for temp. testing the disk to bell offset pete, I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

I would love to squeeze these 310mm's under 15" rims. Not too fussed if I have to ditch the cyclones, but want to keep my TD's and I like the fact that the tyres are cheap (in comparison to larger sizes)

Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 03:59
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Mine used to have 298mm discs on, I kept spacing the (radial mount) caliper out until it was within a few mm of the wheel, couldn't believe it whe I measured up and found I could fit 325mm discs on, couldn't believe it even more when I saw the prices of 325mm discs! Luckily Compbrake do some cheaper discs, but only did 315mmx28mm. Decided to give them a go for the half the price of the AP or Alcon equivalents.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 04:18
Denis

Regular

Post #19
pete_rallye wrote:

Oh, and if you have the same brakes as Denis, which are the same brakes I had, 295mm discs are plenty good enough, they were the best brake I ever had, inc the ones on my btcc car. Absolutely phenomenal stopping power for the size of the discs. Only thing I found was I got a lot of vibration through the wheel after a lot of hard braking. If you take the disc off, clean the hub and clean the grooves out on the disc, bit of emery paper on the disc and they were fine for the next 3 or 4 laps of the ring.

It is the servo assistance Pete. Ash used these brakes on his race car with a proper pedal box and they were ok but lacking feel and bite. After we put them on my Rallye, with standard servo, completely different: excellent stopping power and instant bite. When on usual road tyres in the dry, you can stamp on the brake pedal @70mph and the wheels lock up before ABS has time to react Wink

I have Compbrake rotors right now (half the price of AP), but they lasted only one set of CL RC6 pads (that is ~1500 track miles + ~8k road).

I do not actually have any vibration problems. These are the first brakes that I have used that can do 200 miles on a race track and feel exactly the same on the way home as they did in the morning Shock

WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 04:33
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I've not found any unassisted brakes that don't feel wooden yet. Just changed to DS1.11 pads from DS3000 and they are a major improvement.

Strange, both the other guys with the btcc cars have vibration problems after continuous hard use, maybe your not trying hard enough?! LOL

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 22:59
Denis

Regular

Post #21
Try harder you say Hmm Actually

WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 13th Jul 2009 at 23:33
tom tom go

Tom Tom GONE!!

Post #22
Shock that is a sweet picture. Do you mind if i steal it for my wallpaper ? LOL

Cherry RALLYE
Posted 14th Jul 2009 at 00:10
farmer

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Right, armed with the suggestion from Pete, this evening I set about seeing how far I could space the rotors back from the bells.

Managed to get to 16mm back, and could still have gone another 4mm or so I think, but stopped there. Looks tighter then it is, although the balljoint is inside the rotor area now but clearance is fine.

Having now decided on 16mm spacing comfortably suiting the rotor, I spaced the caliper 16mm back off the hub.

Unfortunatly though, I couldn't fit the cailper at the same time as the rotor / bell as the bell itself was then hitting the caliper. Dry
So I took off the disk and just fitted the caliper, spaced 16mm back, then test fitted the wheel....

Lo and behold!

Wheel spins fine, acres of clearance from the spokes (that area was never an issue anyway) and just about enough clearance on the inside of the rim.

Just to double check the disks would be fine, I removed the caliper, and re-fitted the offeset bells and rotors with wheels on.

So, going off that discovery today, I feel happy and coinfident that if I can get some bells made up that will offset 16mm on the outer lip I should be able to run these babys under 15's Big grin

Cyclones will have to go though, no chance at all!

And, looking at the space I have from rotor edge to inside of the caliper when they are fitted straight to the car, I think I could squeeze 315mm rotors under there too, but I will concentrate on just getting them fitted to the car full stop first!

Posted 15th Jul 2009 at 00:40
Denis

Regular

Post #24
tom tom go wrote:
Shock that is a sweet picture. Do you mind if i steal it for my wallpaper ? LOL

Don

WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 14th Jul 2009 at 04:04
Denis

Regular

Post #25
Chris, that is looking very good!
The other options is to fit 16mm spacer for the wheel itself.

WhiteBMW M140i
Posted 14th Jul 2009 at 04:06

Pages (2): [1] 2