displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Knocking noise from front, tried everything
idnan

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys,

I'm getting very fed up with my pug, on braking and pulling away there is a knocking noise from the front suspension, drivers side I think.

I've change everything but to no avail, this includes all 3 engine mounts including powerflex lower mount, top mounts, springs, shocks, droplinks are fairly new as are both sides, as are both balljoints and wishbones.

I've checked the front drivers side suspension and given it a wiggle and there is no play whatsover. Whilst on the ramp yesterday as I was doing my engine mounts and I couldn't find any play in any components using a large prybar.

I did however notice yesterday that as the car was coming off the ramp at the exhaust place, the chap heard the same noise and whilst the noise was occuring, I could see the wheel physically move in the arch itself. As mentioned, I could feel no play in wishbone or balljoint and couldn't move the wheel in the arch even with considerable force. I'm still thinking its a wishbone/balljoint which are about 5k old and purchesed from GSF.

Anyone have any ideas? I have full access to a 2 or 4 poster ramp whenever I need it so as long as the parts are cheap I can get them changed over. But, I'm getting to the end of my tether with this car and having driven my brother Cupra R today, the darkside is calling me close.
Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 01:42
720puggti

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
noises can be a right pain, i was dealing with one last week and it sounded like it was coming from all angles Crazy perhaps it's not something so obvious... if it's when you move and brake it could be a rotating part. have you tried looking at the brakes? drives shaft? gearbox (i know you said drivers side, but you nver know) problems with noises is they can propogate and it might sound like it's coming from one place when in fact it's another. i hope my advice helps buddy.

Good luck

Deepak Gohil

Posted 3rd Jun 2009 at 02:48
quantic

Junior User

Post #3
Checked the steering rack? Mine's knocking like a crazy thing at the moment - can't feel the play through the wheels but take the track rod arms off and you can wiggle the thing with your hands... Quiet unless you're going over lumpy/damanged surfaces (like all the roads around me at the moment!)

Mine sounded like drivers side but it's definitely the rack.
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 20:53
pugmarshall

Regular

Post #4
it could easily be something else like bushes but if it does it wheln you pull off then it sounds like the drive shaft.

Put the car on full lock (in a car park or tight junction) and pull off slowly then quickly. if the sound gets more aggressive the quicker you pull of then it's probably the drive shaft.

sorry if im completely wrong, just trying to help
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 21:05
spike_uk06

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Have you checked the Spring it's self? Could be cracked...

Team China
Team Pirelli
Team Cracked Bumper
20th Nov 1999 she was born
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 21:09
millsyxsi

Regular

Post #6
This may sounds stupid, But have you checked that the wheels done up? mine came loose and it took some time to find the problem.

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 21:30
idnan

Regular

Post #7
I had this noise before I did any work and still have it, just last week I put on new eibach springs, shocks, top mounts and all 3 engine mounts.

Its been making noise for a couple of months now and wheels have been on and off loads of time so that rules them out.

Quantic, there is no play when I wiggle the wheels on both sides whilst the car is in the air.

Pugmarshall, there is no change in the sound with full lock on, still the same dull knocking noise.

My plan is to get it on a large 4 poster ramp at my uncles and get some one to move it forward and back with the car in the air to see if I can spot what is causing the problem. Otherwise it is a visit to Carl in Leicester.

Thank you for all your suggestions, I'm predicting it is the balljoint or wishbone as they were crappy ones from Euro Car Parts
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 22:54
gti6loon

Senior User

Post #8
Is it definately 18mm balljoints you fitted?

Id put my pennies on it being balljoint related anyway..a lot of people dont check them for play carefully enough. ie movement in all directions, and up and down play.

Steve

Planning a ring trip? Why not stay at Hotel Burgstube
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 23:07
idnan

Regular

Post #9
Well actually I had that problem from GSF on the opposite side, I actually ended up snapping the hub bolt as it kept falling out, so it can't be that. Will hopefully get it sorted on Sunday.
Posted 10th Jun 2009 at 23:46
chris16v

Post #10
Have you had the car lowered on the front?

If so i used to go through drop links like no tomorrow, i used to fit them monthly ha ha

i haven't been on here for years but now i think i need a GTI-6
Posted 11th Jun 2009 at 00:34
sixysix

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I would also be looking at the P bush as well in case its worn quickly, and check all bolts on wishbone and balljoints are tightened correctly Smile

My Pugrun 2007/2009 video clips
Take a look

Pugrun 2007...Lose yourself Laugh

Xbox Live ID: Marksixysix (Forza 3, Forza 4 PES 2010, COD 6/MW2, WRC 2010).

PSN ID: MarkSixysix ( DiRT 3 GT5, NFS:Hot pursuit).

P1 Diablo red 6 gone but not forgotten Sad
Posted 11th Jun 2009 at 00:50
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
gti6loon wrote:
Is it definately 18mm balljoints you fitted?

Id put my pennies on it being balljoint related anyway..a lot of people dont check them for play carefully enough. ie movement in all directions, and up and down play.

16mm balljoints fall straight of 18mm holes.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 11th Jun 2009 at 06:16
idnan

Regular

Post #13
chris16v wrote:
Have you had the car lowered on the front?

If so i used to go through drop links like no tomorrow, i used to fit them monthly ha ha

Its only lowered 20-30mm on Eibachs and was making the same noise even when the drop link was new so I suspect something else.

sixysix wrote:
I would also be looking at the P bush as well in case its worn quickly, and check all bolts on wishbone and balljoints are tightened correctly Smile

Thats where my money on for the noise. Will also check to see if theres any loose bolts that may cause the problem.
Posted 11th Jun 2009 at 16:58
idnan

Regular

Post #14
Got it up on the ramp today to be greeted by this:

Is that bad enough to create such a large knocking noise?

Everything else seemed to be fine and have no excessive movement. Will get a new wishbone and balljoint for the drivers side just to be sure. Will try to get a refund or replacement for this as the wishbone is only 2 and a half months old!!
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 02:39
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
That'll be fooked when you get it off, you'll probably be almost able to twist it off via hand

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 02:42
idnan

Regular

Post #16
Just found the invoice, wishbone was purchased on 17/02 so less than 4 months old. Will definately have a moan about it.
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 02:50
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
idnan wrote:
Just found the invoice, wishbone was purchased on 17/02 so less than 4 months old. Will definately have a moan about it.

genuine part?
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 23:15
sixysix

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
ooh, I was right Big grin
Glad you found the problem Smile

Apparently, lowering the car will put more stress on the P bush when under the cars weight as it will be twisting the rubber more than normal even when standing.

Just had some pressed onto my wishbones last week and asked that the P bush be pressed on parallel with the wishbone so that it is under less tention when standing Smile

My Pugrun 2007/2009 video clips
Take a look

Pugrun 2007...Lose yourself Laugh

Xbox Live ID: Marksixysix (Forza 3, Forza 4 PES 2010, COD 6/MW2, WRC 2010).

PSN ID: MarkSixysix ( DiRT 3 GT5, NFS:Hot pursuit).

P1 Diablo red 6 gone but not forgotten Sad
Posted 12th Jun 2009 at 23:38
saveloy

Post #19
It's very likely that whoever fitted the wishbone did not tighten it up with the weight of the car on it.
It looks like it has twisted once back on the ground and, in effect, put it under stress from the off.
Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 00:25
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #20
that wont be the case, as they are in a fixed position whatever angle the wishbone sits at when you tighten them up, you are right for the front bushes which were not mentioned here though.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Sep 2009 at 00:51