displaying posts 26 to 46 of 46

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Clutch Cable Project
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Many thanks for help. I have 2 clutch cables to do. I will try one with ET50 and the other with some fire sleeve (if i can find a cheap one!). Mainly to test accoustics ... altough the ET50 if it springs back to 20mm diameter should be better than even a soft rubber firesleeve product at 40-45mm.
Posted 17th Mar 2010 at 05:48
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
I emailed both companies to ask about engine and manifold heat issues. And the heat figures they quote of -50 to 300 degrees are continuous. So two lengths of ET50 will @
Posted 18th Mar 2010 at 14:46
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
For Super chargers ... there is a premium product!

Aerostyle Grade Pyrojacket
Posted 18th Mar 2010 at 14:51
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
Phillip thanks for the talk about sound travel! i went for the ET50 Cheers
Posted 20th Mar 2010 at 23:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Thumbs up

Some funny bugger rang me this afternoon about some wheels too you know.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Mar 2010 at 04:10
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
phillipm wrote:
Thumbs up

Some funny bugger rang me this afternoon about some wheels too you know.

I was slightly off it! asking for a reality check from mark! summer is on its way and the silly season has already begun! Thumbs up

I know why you took 6 hours washing your car ... it had 2 tonnes of shit stuck to it! LOL

sign me up for 2 ptfe thingy's ... no thin shit thanks! Whistle
Posted 21st Mar 2010 at 21:55
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Sounded good though didn't it LOL

'm gonna have to start making billet cyclones and sell them to your local dealer....LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 21st Mar 2010 at 23:28
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Phillip, the ET50 is awesome stuff! I need another product recommendation: non sticky heat tape which can wrap around the fibre glass like a tennis racket handle tape .... so i can thread the ET50 over the fibreglass without disturbing it when the ET50 is threaded on ... any suggestions?
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 19:37
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
PTFE thread sealing tape...good for 260*c....

Email me!
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:35
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #35

Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 04:45
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
now just needs fitting Whistle
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 05:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Crack on then, wasting time on here Big grin

Email me!
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 21:15
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
so this is apart from the fact the heavyness is caused by the cable adjusting for wear in the clutch, and that if you fit a new cable it gets just as bad as the old one within a fortnight or so. As was hinted if it got that hot the outer cover would melt, if it was just the cable drying out they would be next to impossible to pull once you remove them from the car and erm they aren't. Only cure usually is a new clutch when you can't put up with the heavyness.
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 21:38
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
al4x wrote:
so this is apart from the fact the heavyness is caused by the cable adjusting for wear in the clutch, and that if you fit a new cable it gets just as bad as the old one within a fortnight or so. As was hinted if it got that hot the outer cover would melt, if it was just the cable drying out they would be next to impossible to pull once you remove them from the car and erm they aren't. Only cure usually is a new clutch when you can't put up with the heavyness.

The clutch cable dries out from lack of heat insulation and causes it to become heavy over time.
I made the first metal tube prototype 12 months ago and the clutch has remained lighter than the accelerator cable since April last year (was a new accelerator cable at the time).
Only downside (from my perspective) was an enhanced engine noise into the cabin. Several forum members have commented the engine sounds immense!
I prefer the cabin to be quiet. Hence the second prototype. Both solutions will give you a light clutch for at least one year (and as nothing has degraded since day one hopefully for many years.
Posted 24th Mar 2010 at 23:37
al4x

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
its the self adjusting mechanism tightening the cable up which is why if you fit a new cable with a worn clutch it adjusts to the same state within a matter of weeks, whereas fit a new clutch and cable and its fine till the clutch wears noticeably. Its been noticed time and time again its why you can't just lube the cable up and improve it. Goes back as far in the archives as Dom spotting it with his, mine did the same nothing works as well as a new clutch
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 19:51
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
That depends on whether it's a tired pressure plate + fork bushes covered in clutch remains or whether it really is the clutch cable though.
I had a clutch cable I could barely move once I took it off when I had mine, until I used a hydraulic oiler on it, but the fork bearings were fooked too LOL

Email me!
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 21:23
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
I think the clutch cable does overheat behind the engine and exhaust manifold and the grease peugeot use is not upto the job ... dried out causing premature wear between the cable and outer metal sleeve (creates a groove close to the bulkhead opening where the clutch cable has to bend through 90 degrees. I can't fault the current prototype for keeping a super light clutch cable ... fully understand that if the clutch is already faulty then nothing will make it less stiff other than a clutch change.

I have a second gti-6 which has a really stiff clutch pedal ... although prearing for the worst and phoned up to get a quote for clutch replacement ... is
Posted 25th Mar 2010 at 22:28
jamesthurlow989

Post #43
Posted 26th Mar 2010 at 20:48
gilesy

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Shock
Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 01:30
pooouk

Regular

Post #45
I can't see how the cable can dry out, because (as far as I know...)they aren't greased from new but have a teflon coating (ptfe, rated at 260c as mentioned) on the wire (like a plastic tube covering it), which wears through. Mine was really stiff when I bought mine so I just unclipped it from the gearbox, hung it from the bonnet, made a funnel out of insulation tape around the cable end and filled it with oil. Half an hour later, light as a feather short term fix, but I'll do the same if it gets stiff again!

Nick

AKA nick on 205gtidrivers.com
Posted 27th Mar 2010 at 23:19
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
They have a white grease from new but it is not that effective for long. I do add additional grease before fitting. The heat from the manifold causes the white grease to thin and work its way down from the top and that increases the wear rate.
Posted 28th Mar 2010 at 03:15

Pages (2): 1 [2]