displaying posts 26 to 36 of 36

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Xsara VTS Steering Rack
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
phillipm wrote:
Roughly 2.6 turns lock to lock - 936 degrees.

VTS rack is more like 2.2 turns L to LYes

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 30th May 2009 at 19:20
dommo

Regular

Post #27
Is that with the GTi6 ram on though? It surely must be less lock with the smaller ram on it.

'99 306 Meridian TD with Bosch fuel pump - Cheap veg oil motoring

'99 Xantia Activa turbo - not cheap veg oil motoring Sad Goes around corners well though
Posted 30th May 2009 at 19:44
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
I get what you mean now. i guess it'll be a little less than 2.2 due to the limited lock in one direction.

Keep us updated as I'd like to do this to mine. It's probably the one and only thing I miss about my old VTSLOL

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 30th May 2009 at 19:46
dommo

Regular

Post #29
Ah I thought you'd fitted a VTS rack to your GTi6 and found it had 2.2 turns lock to lock.

VTS's are 5 speed aren't they? If so then maybe it is 2.2 turns lock to lock when fitted to a 5 speed 306, I'm not really sure to be honest. Phillipm knows his stuff though so I was going to go with his estimate of 2.6 turns, either way it's better than what I've currently got.

'99 306 Meridian TD with Bosch fuel pump - Cheap veg oil motoring

'99 Xantia Activa turbo - not cheap veg oil motoring Sad Goes around corners well though
Posted 30th May 2009 at 19:55
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
The VTS rack does have 2.2 turns with a VTS ram. With a 6 ram it'll be less as you can't turn it as far in one direction.

Posted 30th May 2009 at 20:03
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
I had one on mine and it was definately more than 2.2 turns with the ram removed Yes

In fact, I now have a 2.2 Quaife rack and it's definately faster/harder work.

To be honest, it's too much, I might have to fit power steering now Shock

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st May 2009 at 07:01
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Dragging this old topics up but seems to be the most relevant one. Do you need to change the lower UJ with the rack or does the standard GTi6 one fit on?

I can't seem to find what people have done.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 01:20
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
I *believe* you need the UJ from the Xsara rack, as I've noted people point out it's included in sales.

I should be fitting a P1 VTS rack next weekend, so should be able to let you know for sure then Yes

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 01:46
davedgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
tvrfan007 wrote:
Dragging this old topics up but seems to be the most relevant one. Do you need to change the lower UJ with the rack or does the standard GTi6 one fit on?

I can't seem to find what people have done.

Mine fitted straight on, just removed the six rack and then bolted the Vts one in, although mine was easier because the engine was out, I assume all six racks are the same Dunno

Team Supercharged Gti-6 Ninja
Posted 15th Mar 2011 at 01:50
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Answer = straight swap rack for rack. The UJ was the same and fit right on, the connections of the pipes were different on my P2 rack, but you just bring the HP pipe from the pump with it, and the low pressure pipe you retain from where it goes metal to rubber on the rear of the subframe. I make it 2.6 turns for my P2 rack so you were correct Dave.

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 00:54
owain

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Yup, got mine on at the weekend (P1 VTS rack onto P1 '6) and it's literally a straight swap - use the original pipes and ram, no issues whatsoever.

Although in saying that, I haven't got it all back on yet...

Membership expiring soon, get in contact on our new little forum project.
Posted 21st Mar 2011 at 01:09

Pages (2): 1 [2]