displaying posts 1 to 17 of 17

Author Subject: Knocking when comin on and off throttle
idnan

Regular

Post #1
I recently changed both my front wishbones and just did the passenger one on Friday. I only drove it today to uni and noticed a loud knocking noise coming on and off the accelerator pedal. I couldn't manage to tighten up the front wishbone bolts with the car on the ground due to the splitter so did them up with it in the air. Could this be the cause of the noise?

I guess I also have to consider top mounts, engine mounts and ARB bushes as these haven't been changed during my ownership of the car.
Posted 23rd Mar 2009 at 17:39
sacko_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Try tightening the front wishbone bolt first. It is the easiest and most obvious one to eliminate.

Build Date - 30 September 1997 - Tuesday's car..is full of pace? Wink

Posted 23rd Mar 2009 at 17:41
tom tom go

Tom Tom GONE!!

Post #3
If its knocking coming on and off the loud pedal then id be inclined to suspect that the metal plate underneath the top engine mount has snapped. Had this on my mine a year ago and it was a metallic clinking/knocking noise.

Worth a check, support the engine, take the top engine mount off and inspect the plate Thumbs up

Cherry RALLYE
Posted 23rd Mar 2009 at 21:25
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
idnan wrote:
I recently changed both my front wishbones and just did the passenger one on Friday. I only drove it today to uni and noticed a loud knocking noise coming on and off the accelerator pedal. I couldn't manage to tighten up the front wishbone bolts with the car on the ground due to the splitter so did them up with it in the air. Could this be the cause of the noise?

I guess I also have to consider top mounts, engine mounts and ARB bushes as these haven't been changed during my ownership of the car.

take it to a gargae with a ramp and get them to stick it on there, loosen the front wishbone bolts then retighten with the car on the ramp. this will eliminate this then.
i tightened mine up on the ground but it was a struggle with the spliter so i just did the above after to make sure they were tight enough. they charged me zero but i go there for tyres.

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 24th Mar 2009 at 12:53
matt86

Regular

Post #5
If you sort this. Please private message me on what it is. I've got the same problem and can't seem to resolve it.
Two garages have looked and found nothing, the useless w*nkers.Dry

230BHP & 261Lbs/ft Torque. Smile
Posted 24th Mar 2009 at 02:58
steve954

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
matt86 wrote:
If you sort this. Please private message me on what it is. I've got the same problem and can't seem to resolve it.
Two garages have looked and found nothing, the useless w*nkers.Dry
get in contact with me matt and I will come and have a quick look, only in buxton.

stevie
09 308 gt140 cc
03 octavia vrs

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, IT AIN'T A GTI6
Posted 24th Mar 2009 at 04:33
cress87

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
If you/they haven't checked the top engine mount, I'll pretty much guarantee it's that. Yes

Ph3 China blue GTi-6 330Ci///M Sport & NC23 CBR400RR Cool

You feed beefburgers to swans. Yes

I may have been speeding Mr Policeman but [a] I live for the 306 and [b] did you see that dog? omfg
Posted 24th Mar 2009 at 04:34
idnan

Regular

Post #8
not had a chance yet guys, but it also was knocking when i was going over some bumps today. This leads me to believe that I didn't clamp the ARB in properly when I replaced the wishbone, I am aware that there is a hook mechanism for the ARB mount that i may not have put back on properly.

Will get it on the ramp on Saturday and will have a butchers at it.
Posted 25th Mar 2009 at 01:15
mad_dave23

Senior User

Post #9
cress87 wrote:
If you/they haven't checked the top engine mount, I'll pretty much guarantee it's that. Yes

I second that, checked it when mine was knocking on and off. the top mount was broken in 2!!
Posted 25th Mar 2009 at 01:51
si_man306

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Another vote for engine/ gearbox mounts

"Rules are for the interpretation of wisemen and the obedience of fools" (Colin Chapman, Lotus founder)
Posted 25th Mar 2009 at 03:32
david1519

Post #11
plastic drop links i had the same problem changed them sorted now

qwerty522
Posted 25th Mar 2009 at 04:54
idnan

Regular

Post #12
Just an update, got the car on a ramp and took a look at the ARB bushes and they looked fine.

Then I loosened and tightened the front wishbone bolt on both sides with the cars weight on the wheels. This sorted out the creaking and knocking when going over the bumps but I still had the noise on and off throttle.

Turns out the lower gearbox mount has a lot of play in it and the top engine mount has some movement so both will be changed soon. Thanks for the help guys.
Posted 29th Mar 2009 at 03:05
hainesygti6

Junior User

Post #13
<----- i have this same problem if i take my foot off the accelorator i have a strange click/knock/tap and it sounds like it's from high up behind the dash driversside.

Refurbing Cyclones Black work in progress!
Phase 2 rear light conversion to go on.
Posted 31st Oct 2009 at 01:59
hainesygti6

Junior User

Post #14
If it is the top mount snapped how do you sort this is it a replacable part or do you have to weld this back together?

Refurbing Cyclones Black work in progress!
Phase 2 rear light conversion to go on.
Posted 31st Oct 2009 at 02:11
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
sacko_gti6 wrote:
Try tightening the front wishbone bolt first. It is the easiest and most obvious one to eliminate.

From experience I would say try this first!

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 31st Oct 2009 at 02:26
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
It's amazing how many cars I've sorted out creaking noises on with that LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 31st Oct 2009 at 02:28
idnan

Regular

Post #17
Bit of a thread revival by the guy above, I had this problem months ago!

I think this noise was eliminated by replacing all the engine mounts as they were pretty much all fecked. The noise was the exhaust hitting something IIRC.

Since then I've had about a hundred other noises and problems to worry about! Like the very random banging noise when I brake that happens once a week.I can't pinpoint as it hardly ever happens, just have to wait till it gets worse Whistle
Posted 31st Oct 2009 at 03:15