displaying posts 1 to 25 of 50

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Oil Catcher Tank
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi all I've just fitted my oil catcher tank and I just want to know that I have fitted correctly. I am right in thinking that its reason for its being is to remove oil from the breather circut. ie. Not feeding oil into the air intake.

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 21st Jun 2008 at 04:17
garry

Regular

Post #2
Looks OK to me, thats how I am going to do it.
Did you get the tank from ebay for £30 or so?

205 GTI6 S
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 00:38
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Na I bought it of Puglover off here. For £15 Smile But it looks like the same type.

My Rallye was built on thursday 7th January 1999 according to the cosmic code generator.
My Cyclone refurb
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 01:06
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Your filter on your ICV is a breather, not a filter, I'd suggest changing it for a filter Smile

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 19:39
notch000

Senior User

Post #5
you might want a little more drop on the block to tank, as all the oil and shit will probably just collect around where, wherew the blue 90deg joint it
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 20:03
puglover Banned!

Post #6
thats how i had it mate. Yes
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 20:04
rikky 🦔

Post #7
lower down imo or your path is uphill first

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 20:08
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
rikky wrote:
lower down imo or your path is uphill first

Ok will try to lower over the weekend. Also I am aware the little filter is a breather type and not a filter, I tried to get one today but my local Motor factors didn't have any. But I will get one soon.

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 22:13
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Thumbs up

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 23rd May 2008 at 22:34
racerxbon

Regular

Post #10
personally! i wouldn't put the pipe back into the inlet, instead use that piper-x breather. Heres how i did it.

My Diablo 206 GTI-6

Track Video @ Rockingham
Posted 25th May 2008 at 08:03
joker

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I just run some hose to the floor.

Team 375 BHP Duratec™
Posted 25th May 2008 at 13:28
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
You haven't actually acheived anything there tabbster. The whole point of a catch tank is to vent the crankcase presure to atmosphere whilst collecting the oil vapour in the tank. The original set-up feeds the crankcase pressure into the inlet, exactly the same as you have done there. On full throttle the vacuum from the inlet manifold will suck the vapour through the tank so quickly it won't do anything.

Get rid of the hose from the tank to the inlet, and replace it with a filter like the one you have on your icv.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 25th May 2008 at 17:39
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
pete_rallye wrote:
You haven't actually acheived anything there tabbster. The whole point of a catch tank is to vent the crankcase presure to atmosphere whilst collecting the oil vapour in the tank. The original set-up feeds the crankcase pressure into the inlet, exactly the same as you have done there. On full throttle the vacuum from the inlet manifold will suck the vapour through the tank so quickly it won't do anything.

Get rid of the hose from the tank to the inlet, and replace it with a filter like the one you have on your icv.

And plug up the inlet manifold feed?

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 25th May 2008 at 23:09
ted

Senior User

Post #14
The hose for the airfilter, are they 2 45deg ?

Monkey see monkey do
Posted 26th May 2008 at 00:00
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
ted wrote:
The hose for the airfilter, are they 2 45deg ?

Yes

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 26th May 2008 at 00:22
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
pete_rallye wrote:

Not quite, the standard system is designed to eliminate any breather emissions while maintaining a negative crankcase pressure. A catch tank will do the same thing while "catching" the oil vapour and giving a cleaner intake charge.

At full throttle there is virtually no vacuum at all in the inlet manifold, manifold depression is almost the same as baro.

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Team: Hmm™
Posted 26th May 2008 at 08:33
tobeski

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Out of interest (and lazyness Whistle) anyone know what the internal diameter of the hose is needed coming of the crank case to the catch tank?

Now rollin' in a 182FF
Posted 2nd Jun 2008 at 03:46
tabbbster

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Just measured the piping I've bought for the job and its 14mm ID and 20mm OD Reinforced coolant hose.

My Cyclone refurb
Posted 2nd Jun 2008 at 04:05
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Should an oil catcher be attached to the black round one way valve type thing in the following photo?

Anyone~? Dunno
Posted 27th Oct 2009 at 17:44
jose

Senior User

Post #20

Nile Blue GTi6

Alpine White 205 GTi 1.9 - Project

Air Con Pipes Thread.......

Machine Polishing - Paint Correction - Swirl Removal in West London - PM for details
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 18:15
jose

Senior User

Post #21
last photo shows the catch tank is doing what its meant to! need to really empty it out, thats about 8 months worth i think

Nile Blue GTi6

Alpine White 205 GTi 1.9 - Project

Air Con Pipes Thread.......

Machine Polishing - Paint Correction - Swirl Removal in West London - PM for details
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 18:17
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Many thanks for the photos ... I have seen the inside of inlet manifolds and they get so gunked up. I should have mine fitted by the weekend. I think I will add mine after the one way valve.
Posted 19th Jan 2010 at 19:33
ballys16

Regular

Post #23
Sorry everyone for reviving such an oldie.
On an S16 what pipes do you connect to the oil catch tank?
I guess one that connects to just in front of the throttle body and the other that comes from the head? Am I wrong?
Thanks!

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:21
rikky 🦔

Post #24
i have got the pipe that runs from the bottom of the block near the filter to one side of the tank. the other upper middle one (underneath the head>cam cover breather) goes to the other side of the tank. it is a breathable mocal tank so the cap is the vent. i run a gti6 inlet setup so it doesn't feed anything back to the inlet but still catches the vapour. i have a valve to redrain it all back to the sump too

leave head>cam cover as is, you'll have to work out a way of filling it with oil though - funnel down dipstick, or get a threaded cap welded into the cam cover so it is fillable there

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 17:55
ballys16

Regular

Post #25
rikky wrote:
i have got the pipe that runs from the bottom of the block near the filter to one side of the tank. the other upper middle one (underneath the head>cam cover breather) goes to the other side of the tank. it is a breathable mocal tank so the cap is the vent. i run a gti6 inlet setup so it doesn't feed anything back to the inlet but still catches the vapour. i have a valve to redrain it all back to the sump too

leave head>cam cover as is, you'll have to work out a way of filling it with oil though - funnel down dipstick, or get a threaded cap welded into the cam cover so it is fillable there

Thanks Rikky - no other option?
Does sound a bit frightening at first read...
Would it be enough to disconnect the pipe leading to the intake hose and connect that to the catch tank?

XSi 8V -> S16
Posted 23rd Mar 2010 at 20:47

Pages (2): [1] 2