displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: Battery Relocation wiring route.
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #1
Ok guys so iv had a look through this section and can't find what im looking for, so im hoping some of you guys could point me in the right direction.

So iv moved the battery behind the passenger seat and iv sorted out the earth cables thats wasn't a problem but im now trying to work out where i can run the positive cable from the junction box in the engine bay to the battery behind the passenger seat? Preferably without having to remove the entire dash board.

So just wondered if any of you guys who have relocated the battery had an easy way of running the cable through the bulk head. Thumbs up
Posted 8th Mar 2017 at 11:01
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Must be a rubber bung somewhere to poke it through. Pull the carpet up and remove the seat and have a good look. I have to do mine so I'll be watching this for tips.

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 8th Mar 2017 at 12:05
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #3
yeh iv tried having a look for a rubber bung in the bulk head but haven't seen anything yet. all the carpets gone as the cars stripped out. But il keep having a look even if iv got to drill a hole haha.

so if i find something il post up and add some pics Smile
Posted 8th Mar 2017 at 14:41
Joep

Regular

Post #4
I have to do the same... Following this thread with great interest.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 8th Mar 2017 at 15:16
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #5
Me too..!
Last time I did something like this on another car it was fully stripped and I could put it wherever I wanted. Bit different now with interior and dash staying put..
Do have to be careful with position and grommet around cable going through the bulkhead. Having had a stripped out car before you can see how water tracks it's way through the tiniest spaces and find it's way inside.
Posted 9th Mar 2017 at 10:31
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #6
haha yeh the difference when you have a fully gutted car to work on compared to pne when theres still a fair bit in the way. like i said i have stripped a fair bit out and removed the sunroof, but i don't really want to remove the dash yet as its not a 5 minute job. haha and i can't be bothered with it. but have managed to reposition the ECU and keep its box while being able to fit the induction kit in its place.

Although was a little annoying removing the battery box as i had my oil catch can bolted to the side of the battery box but iv relocated that too now. Smile
Posted 9th Mar 2017 at 11:57
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #7
Ok guys so had a couple of hours today, and i found a fairly big gromet which i presume is for the drain from the sunroof and it goes out into the bulkhead with a little rubber tube just facing down behind the gearbox. so its in the passenger footwell, u might have to remove the carpet, but i had already done that, but you won't need to remove anything else.

Here are some pictures some arn't as clear as the others but it gives you the general idea lol.

Charlie@gti6 has attached the following image:

Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 18:56
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #8
In the pic you can see the screwdriver hanging out thats where the gromet it.

(Before anyone says anything about the state of the sound proofing i will be completly removing it, so don't worry won't be left in that hacked up state haha)

Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 19:02
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #9
Just to note as well, it was a massive ball ache trying to pull the cable past the gromet as it is in place very tightly and also the edges are very sharp haha cut my bloody finger trying to reach further in, so i did spray some wd40 to make it easier to slide between the gromet and the bulk head as it was shaving the cable slightly, if that makes sense haha.

Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 19:07
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #10
From the bay, then just up to you where to run the cable from the bay.

Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 19:10
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #11
Thank for the tips Charlie.
Just one thing; it may just be the pics, but that battery cable looks quite slim. Is it up to the job?
The further away the battery sits the more manly the cable needs to be. Might be worth keep an eye that it doesn't get too hot, especially when cranking the starter.
Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 20:32
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #12
No worries, hope thats easy to make sense of Smile

yeh the pics don't do it justice haha, the cable is pretty beefy, thats why i had some trouble pulling it past the gromet haha Thumbs up its 21mm cable i think, can't remember of the top of my head, but i did have a little issue with the original earth cable so i used the left over of this cable to make a new earth cable haha.

Hopefully this picture with the cable on the battery gives a better idea of the cable, but like you said i will be sure to check the cable Thumbs up

Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 20:43
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Cant see from the Picture?...I take it you pulled the positive new cable through the centre rubber ?...not round the side where the sharp metal can damage it Whistle

I also really hope that cables Man enough ...it's better to go OTT on that cable ...upto the size of the battery & battery clamp it does look rather small gauge ?
Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 22:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
Err, what he said, put the cable through the grommit, not under it, it shouldn't be against the edge of the bulkhead, WD40 or not, unless you want to find out how fast your car can burn.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 11th Mar 2017 at 22:48
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #15
Day666 wrote:
Cant see from the Picture?...I take it you pulled the positive new cable through the centre rubber ?...not round the side where the sharp metal can damage it Whistle

I also really hope that cables Man enough ...it's better to go OTT on that cable ...upto the size of the battery & battery clamp it does look rather small gauge ?

Haha i hold my hands up on that one, i did intially pull it through the side, past the gromet, which i know was a big NO NO LOL it was one of them moments after i had pulled it all through stood back and thought to myself, yeh that wasn't smart haha, so i did then go back make a hole through the gromet and pushed the cable back through that Thumbs up

And i know the pictures don't do the positive cable justice Razz its stated as starter cable, 170amp 25mm cable, its alot more manly than the standard starter/alternator cable haha. Big grin
Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 06:41
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #16
I'm not being funny but is that a normal lead acid battery you've just mounted in the cab?

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 13:11
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #17
Haha i was waiting to see how long it would take for that question Razz yeh it is a acid battery not a dry cell race battery, which i will get eventually but at the minute don't have the pennies for one. I know its not great to have this type of battery in the car but it is a sealed battery, so not one of the older ones that you can pop those little caps off to refill the cells, and i have had a couple of friends do the exact same thing.Smile

But like i said i know its not ideal and i will get a race battery at some point soon hopefully. Thumbs up

Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 13:19
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Or a decent 2nd hand mx5 one would
Work I've been told

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 13:35
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #19
Yeh thats is also another option iv heared, one of my friends with a striped crx has a mx5 battery in the back, so il have a gander for one. I mean at the minute just want to clear im not drving the car at the minute its just on my drive as i do little bits, so by the time it comes round for me to go on track, i will probably have changed it, its more so i can have everything mounted and in place. Smile
Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 13:39
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #20
Charlie@gti6 wrote:
Haha i was waiting to see how long it would take for that question Razz yeh it is a acid battery not a dry cell race battery, which i will get eventually but at the minute don't have the pennies for one. I know its not great to have this type of battery in the car but it is a sealed battery, so not one of the older ones that you can pop those little caps off to refill the cells, and i have had a couple of friends do the exact same thing.Smile

But like i said i know its not ideal and i will get a race battery at some point soon hopefully. Thumbs up

I would hope so, hydrogen does wonderful things.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 12th Mar 2017 at 20:27
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #21
Can the earth just be bolted to the chassis nearby to the new location, or does it need a length of earth running back to the engine bay?
Posted 16th Mar 2017 at 00:02
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Just bolt it to a clean bit of the chassis.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 16th Mar 2017 at 00:31