displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Converting from old ABS to GTI6 ABS
svvg

Regular

Post #1
I've got an S16 (M reg) and it comes with a Bosch ABS unit - which has never worked. I've changed all the sensors and now managed to swap over the ECU to one I found in a breakers... but it still doesn't work! (there is a chance that the ECU I've found is also faulty I guess...) Anyway, I'm now going to try to change the pump unit itself over- but am expecting this to be a total bgger re bleeding.... so wondered what I'd need to do to convert to a GTI 6 ABS set up - which I understand is easier to bleed- and are certainly more plentiful in supply.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Assume I'd need the ABS unit, wiring harness and pipework...

Thanks!

Posted 15th Feb 2009 at 06:18
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
I would hazard a guess that its the main power feed terminals in the top of the ABS bump that have corroded away.

pipework you should be able to adapt to fit the different pump,but you would need the ABS loom due to the different plug on the unit itself, no a major problem as it is a self contained loom, but a bit of a PITA as the loom goes over the top of the fuel tank.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Feb 2009 at 14:01
svvg

Regular

Post #3
Thanks for info - there are three harnesses which plug into the ABS unit I've got. One looks like the interface between the ECU and the pump - the other is a four pin plug (square in shape) and then there's a more sturdy longer multi pin (bit like a scart plug) plug. Will inspect the pins again - but is a real bgger as have changed all the sensors and still no joy!

Will have a go at swapping over the pumps themselves, but they are notoriously difficult to bleed apparently.

Any advice on exactly what to check re the power feed terminals?

Thanks!!

Posted 15th Feb 2009 at 18:29
ilona

Post #4
I have abs pump of a gti6 for sale if your interested
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 03:26
svvg

Regular

Post #5
Mate - thanks for the offer - but you're a year late...!!!!! and I've fixed it so it all works fine now!

Changed the pump - and also the rear sensors - and had to clean up the brake light wiring loom as had corroded A LOT - leaving gunk over the terminals (like when you leave batteries in a remote for 5 years or so.) - that was shorting out and causing the brake light switch to log a problem in the ABS ECU - all sorted and works fine now.
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 15:19
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
lol LOL

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 25th Jan 2010 at 17:49
will130787

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Laugh my ass off

They tried to help I guess!

Ex Astor 6 owner Sad

Also an Ex owner of a Bianca 6 Sad

Now an ex owner of a 2005 9-3 2.0T 210bhp Aero Swedish Saloon thing!! Soon to be 250bhp.... Superman

Now driving Mk5 Golf GTTdi, mile muncher

But still live for the 306 Ninja
Posted 28th Jan 2010 at 15:09