displaying posts 51 to 75 of 1309

Pages (53): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Daveyboy's Rallye Race car
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #51
Safety first! LOL

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 18th Jan 2009 at 01:03
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #52
Finally, I got around to finishing off my set of solid rear beam mounts that I started making 6 months ago!LOL

The plan is to hit the rear beam and get my 21mm bars, 30mm ARB in and back on the car over the weekend, I have a 31mm drill bit and a machinist on standby for Saturday so fingers crossed everything will go according to plan.Whistle

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 22:41
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
I am not around this weekend I am afraid
Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 14:00
fletch

Track Head

Post #54
daveyboy wrote:
Finally, I got around to finishing off my set of solid rear beam mounts that I started making 6 months ago!LOL

The plan is to hit the rear beam and get my 21mm bars, 30mm ARB in and back on the car over the weekend, I have a 31mm drill bit and a machinist on standby for Saturday so fingers crossed everything will go according to plan.Whistle

Excellent. Fancy doing mine Dave too Whistle
Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 14:36
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
daveyboy wrote:

You going to try and drill them out yourself Jim?

You need to press the pins out the trailing arms and do it in a lathe Yes

One of the pins has a hole about 29mm through, so this one isn't too bad, but the other only has a 26mm hole through, so there's a lot more material to remove. Even in a lathe it has to be 'nibbled at' very slowly.

Smile

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 16:30
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
Jim has a press and his Machinist has a lathe
Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 22:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #57
fletch wrote:
daveyboy wrote:

Excellent. Fancy doing mine Dave too Whistle

Ask me on Monday LOL

Harness bars
Posted 20th Jan 2009 at 22:40
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #58
Awesome progress was made today, a big fry-up got us (Me and Chris) set up for the day, cracked into it at about 10am and by lunchtime the beam was off and stripped. At that point I went off to use a friends lathe to bore out my shafts to 31mm leaving Chris to pop in my new rear beam bearings etc. Once that was all done and the splines had been thouroughly cleaned and coper-slipped we were ready to get it back on the car.

A small hiccup occurred when I realised I had made a bit of a balls-up with my solid rear beam mounts (welded one of the brackets on backwards (as they are an odd shape that was not immediately obvious!)

However a bit of a seeing to with a cutting disk and the welder soon had that sorted. Ninja

Once on the rear setup went back together fairly smoothly, as the rear torsion bars were uprated at the same time from 20mm up to21mm the sag on the suspension would obvioiusly be less so we took a guess and raised the trailing arm by 10mm a side before pushing the slined ends of the bars in.

As it turns out we were out by about 10mm as it sits higher at the rear by that ammount. Hovever it may bed in a little once the bars have been under load for a while and as I have a cage to fit and a battery to relocate to the boot I think it will end up near enough spot on anyway.

So, how does it drive? Well in a word different. Bearing in mind I now have a bit of a mishmash of suspension parts (standard dampers all round and Eibach 30mm lowering springs on the front)its pretty good. I think the front springs now deffinitely need tobe uprated as the car settles into a three wheeld stance much more readily now and kind of rocks back and forth as it goes round the bend, loads of grip but a little unsettling for the driver and passenger!
LOL

I think a combination of a stiffer damper and spring setup at the front will return the flat stable cornering that I'm ased to. Deffinitely progress though and I'm well happy with the way this is coming along. Big grin

Once again, huge thanks to Chris for helping me out all day and half the night and for putting up with my generally crabby nature! Thumbs up

Harness bars
Posted 25th Jan 2009 at 04:58
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #59
rich_w wrote:

You going to try and drill them out yourself Jim?

You need to press the pins out the trailing arms and do it in a lathe Yes

One of the pins has a hole about 29mm through, so this one isn't too bad, but the other only has a 26mm hole through, so there's a lot more material to remove. Even in a lathe it has to be 'nibbled at' very slowly.

Smile

Yes, I did use a drill but I but the drill in the tail-stock of the lathe and the spindle in the lathe chuck, centred it all op then just bored it out with plenty of cutting paste.

I had to go in as far as I could from one side then flip the the spindle round and attack it from the other end as the drill bit was'nt long enough to do it from one side.

Easy enough though and as it was my first go on a lathe I was pleased with the result Big grin

Harness bars
Posted 25th Jan 2009 at 04:36
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
daveyboy wrote:

Just spotted they are welded on the wrong way round
Razz
Posted 25th Jan 2009 at 17:48
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #61
Thankyou Chris, set fire to your car lately? Whistle

Harness bars
Posted 26th Jan 2009 at 01:52
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Not lately!!!
Not the first time you fitted sometihng the wrong way round either is it young James
Posted 26th Jan 2009 at 18:38
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #63
I don't like to think of it in terms of right and wrong, more 'different' if you ask me. Razz

Harness bars
Posted 28th Jan 2009 at 00:09
dunc

Junior User

Post #64
miles wrote:
as
A good time around the ring is a shade over 8mins

In what? Blink

Dunc.

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 29th Jan 2009 at 03:45
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #65
Read the rest of the thread Dunc Wink

Harness bars
Posted 29th Jan 2009 at 05:00
trackman

Senior User

Post #66
I'm not one to talk lap times but anyone who says they can manage 8min in a standard engine 306 at the ring is not telling the truth. I would say 8:20

Matt - 07771 824890
Posted 29th Jan 2009 at 06:15
dunc

Junior User

Post #67
miles wrote:
Well I have worked there for 4 months a few yr's ago, abit we only did the track between 8 & 9 in the morning but we used the full track and not the public entrance which is allot better.
I have got rusty since thou so I;d but myself around CRF's time.
I even did 9 mins in my CTi without any problems and thats a std 1.9 205

Read it again and still can't find reference to what car did it in a shade over 8mins. Only this which suggests a 205gti did it in 9mins?

Also can't work out if he's talking about a full lap or BTG with what sounds like a run up from the main straight?

Sorry if I'm reading it wrong or missing something, I also don't know what a CTi is?

Dunc.

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 02:32
dunc

Junior User

Post #68
Also here's a reasonable list of times for reference, just take a look at where your think your 306 stands with this time if you want a time to chase (not entirely recommended for first time out):-

6:55 Radical SR8 - Driven By: Michael Vergers
7:12 Radical SR3 Turbo - Driven By: Phil Bennett
7:18 Donkervoort D8 RS - Driven By: Michael D√

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 02:32
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #69
Looks like someone is forgetting about the main straight. That has to be twenty to thirty seconds in a 6.Wink

Harness bars
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 03:44
dunc

Junior User

Post #70
I'm completely lost now! I'd say a full lap in a std 306Gti/rallye would be around 9+ mins. Just under 9 with track tyres.

Dunc.

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 04:32
trackman

Senior User

Post #71
Sorry my statement above was referring to 'Bridge to Gantry'

Matt - 07771 824890
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 04:34
dunc

Junior User

Post #72
Not confused with you trackman, just everything else as usual!

Dunc LOL:

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 05:35
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #73
By the sounds of it I'll be lucky if I get round in under ten minutes! Blink

Harness bars
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 05:52
dunc

Junior User

Post #74
Enjoy the track (it's awesome) and the car and see how you get on Smile

You'll be wanting to go back the second you get home, there's nothing quite like it.

Sure you'll have a magic trip, have fun Smile

Dunc.

205gti, e34, Radical.
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 12:59
rikky 🦔

Post #75
what times has pete pulled around the 'ring? or martin [crf]?

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Jan 2009 at 14:59

Pages (53): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last