displaying posts 51 to 75 of 124

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: High Boost Rotrex conversion
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Fecking sweeeeet Fletch Love

Wish I had the $$ to crack on with mine....

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 29th Dec 2008 at 16:24
mabgti

NV motors

Post #52
When the times right chris... I'll be down with my spannersThumbs up

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 29th Dec 2008 at 18:57
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #53
jib wrote:
Sorry i may be abit late here but you get to choose between a low boost and high boost map at the flick of a switch? Thats some techno shit!

Is this the first time this has been done?

Not a flick of the switch No He meant he can take the low boost map out and put the high one in and vice versa Yes

I think with Rich's new setup he can chop and change between Maps as he has an aftermarket ECU and all singing all dancing laptop connection thingy Whistle Unsure

Just Drive It
Posted 29th Dec 2008 at 19:16
jib

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
rallyestyle wrote:
jib wrote:
Sorry i may be abit late here but you get to choose between a low boost and high boost map at the flick of a switch? Thats some techno shit!

Not a flick of the switch No He meant he can take the low boost map out and put the high one in and vice versa Yes

I think with Rich's new setup he can chop and change between Maps as he has an aftermarket ECU and all singing all dancing laptop connection thingy Whistle Unsure

So rich's low boost is 500bhp and his high boost is.......? Whistle LOL
Posted 29th Dec 2008 at 20:13
SteviePut

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
Looking good FletchThumbs up

Quick general question tho to all you supercharger boys. Does anyone know how much power a Rotrex uses to produce the boost for the "low boost" conversion and for the "high boost" conversion. And then how much for what ever Rich is running?

My old man wrote me a letter from prison once. It said if you don't want to end up in here, stay away from crime, women and drugs. Trouble is, that don't leave you much else to do, does it?
Posted 29th Dec 2008 at 22:23
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
Not sure how much they consume power wise but they are totally unlike the compressors of old that used more power than they produced till they got going! The Rotrex one I believe uses very high revs similar to turbo RPM's and has a clever gearbox to create these speeds which uses a traction fluid to drive the components. I'm not fully conversant with how it works and i too would like to know its true efficiencies.

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 15:26
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #57
The Rotrex only spins up to around 10,000rpm. Yes

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 15:33
fletch

Track Head

Post #58
matty_rallye wrote:
mechanical_repairs wrote:
Love the burger!

Bet that stops hunger for a bit. Going well, engine seems a bit red.

Carl

Christ, id expect it to stop movement for a while aswell!!

Laugh Agreed!
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 16:57
fletch

Track Head

Post #59
rallyestyle wrote:
jib wrote:

Tom is half right. What I actually meant in this instance was I could switch between standard and high boost maps by simply swapping the EPROM. This was because I was driving the car with the OE engine a while before the conversion. You could in theory swap between low and high boost maps if you were to get a low boost map from Wayne Schofield tailored to a lower compression engine.
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 16:59
fletch

Track Head

Post #60
SteviePut wrote:
Looking good FletchThumbs up

Quick general question tho to all you supercharger boys. Does anyone know how much power a Rotrex uses to produce the boost for the "low boost" conversion and for the "high boost" conversion. And then how much for what ever Rich is running?

The boost produced is identical on both conversions. The 'low boost' conversion is simply restricted at the Throttle body assembly by use of a reducer ring.

The Rotrex unit is inherently less parasitic than traditional positive displacement units for example due to the use of traction drive system over traditional gear transmissions.
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 17:02
fletch

Track Head

Post #61
toby wrote:
Not sure how much they consume power wise but they are totally unlike the compressors of old that used more power than they produced till they got going! The Rotrex one I believe uses very high revs similar to turbo RPM's and has a clever gearbox to create these speeds which uses a traction fluid to drive the components. I'm not fully conversant with how it works and i too would like to know its true efficiencies.

Kind of. The Rotrex uses the traction fluid which varies in viscosity depending on pressure driving the rolling elements inside through friction.

You can get a gearbox element to mate to the Rotrex units, but then you obviously have an added transmission loss.
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 17:11
fletch

Track Head

Post #62
stan_306gti6 wrote:
The Rotrex only spins up to around 10,000rpm. Yes

More like 100,000rpm Stan...
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 17:13
jamie.bedford

Regular

Post #63
seriously sweet reading sounds awesome.

just out of curiosity what kind of money have you spent and time consumed for this conversion?

Car up for Grabs £1095 is on the for sale thread
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 18:44
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
mabgti wrote:
When the times right chris... I'll be down with my spannersThumbs up

Cheers Mabz....

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 18:53
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #65
toby wrote:

Rotrex quote 96% drive efficiency

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 19:00
toby

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
96% is bloody good and one of the reasons why this conversion works so well, I suppose RichW is the other.LOL

Previous Peugeot - 2000(w)GTI-6, Me old China, Supercharged with working aircon!
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 22:10
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
Yep.....

Dont think it would have happened with out Rich_W Wizard

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 22:15
matt_gti

Senior User

Post #68
loving this mate, keep the pics coming. Just out of interest what machine shops do you use etc as im allways over in crawley?.

306 GTI-6
205 GTI-6 Project
205 1.6 GTI - RIP
205 1.9 TT - RIP
E39 535i - Daily driver
*Newest edition* E60 M5 5l v10 - The weekend car Smile
Posted 30th Dec 2008 at 23:06
fletch

Track Head

Post #69
matt_gti wrote:
loving this mate, keep the pics coming. Just out of interest what machine shops do you use etc as im allways over in crawley?.

I believe Lynx subcontracted the work to Banda Engineering down near Chichester as I was down there quite often.
Posted 3rd Jan 2009 at 01:32
fletch

Track Head

Post #70
A cold november evening Smile

Flywheel and clutch in place:

Decided I may as well use some new studs and bolts for the Exhaust manifold so quickly swapped them over.

Had a quick (and I mean quick) spruce up of the engine bay as well as ripping the air con pipes out.

Predator must have visited overnight Shock

The Gearbox mount had seen better days even though it was only about 2 years old. Will be refitted for now until I find a Group N mount.

'Box back on with a bit of wiggling and hooked up to the crane and ready to be refitted:

Engine is wiggled back in and secured on the top two mounts Big grin

Plumbing

Pas modifications were next; Connecting up the high and low pressure hoses to the PAS pump now located down by the sump. A bit of hacksaw action sorted out the piping. All the ancilliaries and water pipes were connected up as well as vacuum pipes and wiring loom.

Next up was extending the loom to reach the TB sensors. I hate wiring but forced myself to get on with it, soldering and heatshrinking the appropriate wires, and wrapping them up in insulation tape.

Mounting the traction fluid reservoir was a bit fiddly but straightforward enough.

Posted 3rd Jan 2009 at 01:34
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
Fletch

Looking good...

Ive got a grp N mount already fitted in the housing if you would like to purchase......

Drop me a PM

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 3rd Jan 2009 at 16:55
fletch

Track Head

Post #72
matsoki wrote:
Fletch

Looking good...

Ive got a grp N mount already fitted in the housing if you would like to purchase......

Drop me a PM

Gearbox mount bud Wink
Posted 3rd Jan 2009 at 18:38
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
fletch wrote:
matsoki wrote:
Fletch

Looking good...

Drop me a PM

Gearbox mount bud Wink

Ah crap..... soz

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 4th Jan 2009 at 16:54
fletch

Track Head

Post #74
Another update. Smile

Next job was mounting the beast of an Intercooler and routing the piping. This thing was very cheap from the states but look very well made Yes

Initial trial:

A few brackets, holes and bolts in strategic places and the intercooler was supported. The top

brackets will probably need redoing later as theyre currently a little thin for my liking.

Fully supported:

Temporary boost piping required the right mix of silicon couplers and boost pipe straights/angles.

Trial fitted the bumper. I think it looks mean Devil

Mounting the Rotrex oil cooler was problematic since the OEM rad takes up a lot of space on the front crossmember. I had to cut off some of the plastic on the rad with a hacksaw which created just enough space. The pipes were routed from the Rotrex unit to the reservoir via the
oil cooler and magnetic fluid filter.

I mounted the cooler and noted the rad still wouldnt fit in the OEM mounts. After a bit of
faffing, I made up some new brackets and it just about squeezed in. Im not 100% happy with the proximity of the rad and intercooler piping though. Hopefully we can route it better when I get welded up boost piping rather than silicon or just bite the bullet and buy a thinner rad.

High boost map installed... Smile

The lower rad pipe had been leaking for a while so time to swap out the O ring:

All fluids were topped up in readyness for the startup Smile

Another update soon...
Posted 6th Jan 2009 at 05:39
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #75
My bottom rad hose is leaking aswell fletch, where you get the new O-ring from ?

Project looks good, are you doing this as we speak aswell ?

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 6th Jan 2009 at 05:46

Pages (5): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last