displaying posts 1 to 2 of 2

Author Subject: Wilwood fitting
Welly Forum Admin

Post #1
Pretty simple but I'll stick it here just so people can reference.

The wilood system is a direct caliper replacement. So all you need to do is replace the caliper. I would recommend the following:

Remove wheel
Remove brake Res cap
Loosen the yoke bolts (19mm)
Wd40(or the like) the brake pipe nut. As seen here.

Go make a cup of coffee and build up the new caliper.

Take your new caliper and grab a bracket.
The brackets are held on with 2 bolts (the black ones that came with your kit), Place the spring washer between the bolt head and the caliper.
I'd advise a little bit of thread lock here. Tighten the bolt into the bracket.
The bracket fits with the cut out facing the hub.

Once they are tight ,or as tight as you can get them without stripping threads, fit the hose.
Nip the hose up to tight and then a lil bit.
The caliper is then complete.

Go back to the car and loosen the hose bolt. This can be a b*tch and is known for rounding off so again i'd advise a proper brake spanner.
Once the hose is loose (not undone) remove the 19mm yoke bolts and pull the caliper off the discs.
Offer the wilwood caliper up in place and use the 19mm bolts with the washers provided in the kit to mount it to the hub. Again i'd advise a bit of thread lock.
Put the hose in place and tighten the nut up and you should be looking like this

Check everything is tight (including nipples)
go and do the other side.

Bleeding
This can be a b*tch so take your time.
There is 2 parts to the nipples.

The brass bit needs to be no more than "nipped" up and the black bit is effectively the "bleed" nipple. It is an odd size being American (¼Wink so make sure you have the correct size.
You Only need to do the top 2.
Loosen the inside one first and bleed that. Then the outside.
From past experience i'd do the above twice as with new calipers and 4 pots with cross overs you always miss a bit. Remember to keep an eye on the fluid.

Go drive. It won't surprise me if it takes 2 or 3 goes to get them bleed properly.

Thumbs up You have completed your brake fitting.

I take no responsibility with the fitting of the kit. If you fail then that's your problem. If in doubt seek professional advise/experience.
If anyone has a problem or wants to talk it through then please PM me.
Brackets were made by Phil, he knows what he is doing.
Hoses were made by Exact.
The kit is good and will work fine.
Remember to bed them in properly and enjoy

Welly Thumbs up

Life is a lie. The only certainty of which is death. Go live and enjoy yourself. The clock is ticking

Vrs power!!
Posted 24th Nov 2008 at 23:50
Welly Forum Admin

Post #2
Phil has just sent me this so i'll add it here

quote:

Nominal torque rating for the caliper/bracket threads is 38lb ft if you want to add that.
Maximum torque is 54lb ft, at which point it's a toss up between the thread stripping or the bolt breaking, but I wouldn't recommend anything over the 38lb ft to account for inaccuracies with torque wrenches, fatigue + various thread lubrication friction from the locking compounds

Life is a lie. The only certainty of which is death. Go live and enjoy yourself. The clock is ticking

Vrs power!!
Posted 22nd Nov 2008 at 05:54

This thread has been locked