displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: GTi6 Conversion
wardy18

Post #1
just thought i would give a little insight into why im trying to source a GTi6 engine fromy ou fine people.

I currently run a 205 in the Channel Island Hillclimb and Sprints in the Modified Production 1801cc and Over. The car is full race spec but needs more grunt to keep up with a 440bhp Full Race BMW E36.

My plan for the engine will be to create a 2300cc monster........

Will be using a 96mm crank, safely going to 87mm bore with custom pistons and S16 rods (152mm i think). Pistons etc will be supplied by Matt at QEP (great guy) who is also helping and advising me throu the whole build, its in the planning and gathering parts stage at the moment and will be a big project to hopefully be finished by middle of next year (so long due to funds a little scarce so will buy parts as i go)

the aim is 300bhp and a stupid amount of torque

let me know your thoughts, concerns and any advice you may have will be gratefully appreciated

simon
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 17:53
james_geldart

Senior User

Post #2
looking forward to watching this one...dont skimp on any details!

Recommends:
'mechanical_repairs' - Leicester
'miles' for suspension & Grp N/A goods
Baker BM Mounts
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 18:07
monkeyman

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Those beemer engines are a beast, looking forward to watching this : )

Spanner Monkeys Monkey Spanner
Forum Search Clicky
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 18:54
wardy18

Post #4
i cant wait to get the engine and start stripping it and clean it up, nothing like working on a spotless engine on a stand, i reckon ill be up there with the bmeare after this with such a good power to weight ratio!

will be running on twin 45 webers to start with but these are getting old hat these days so when i can afford it and once the engine is complete ill be going throttle bodies!!

gearbox is a 205 1.9 box with a MI16 4:4 CWP in so the ratios are good for my hillclimb, am currently doing ¼ mile sprints in 14.57 but with a practically standard 1900 8v engine with a good cam and carbs

at the end of teh day thou i dont wanna spend too much as it is simply for the championship on Guernsey and a few events on Jersey and Alderney so doesnt really justify spending thousands and thousands but ill build it up as i go!
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 22:18
rallyeash

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
sounds good, but i wouldnt bother putting carbs on there then switch to bodies, just go for bodies straight out. will be cheaper in the long run.

hope you have a diff in there !!!!

230 hp 2.1 16v XU 205 rallye on jenveysHyper Project thread here
309 3dr K20 Type R
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 22:24
wardy18

Post #6
i am already running the carbs now on my current engine so wont be any extra expense and wont be able to afford bodies until the following so to save a monster of an engine being wasted for a year ill run it on the carbs, also im pretty sure the inlet mani i go for will be suitable for both carbs and bodies i assume so are interchangeable!!

yes i am running a Gripper diff that seems to work superbly in the 205, will be dropping to 15" wheels for next season as im currently on 16", have 2 8" wide and 2 9" wide so will give the car plenty of grip on new rubber!!
Posted 16th Oct 2008 at 02:48
pugjim

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
wardy18 wrote:
i am already running the carbs now on my current engine so wont be any extra expense and wont be able to afford bodies until the following so to save a monster of an engine being wasted for a year ill run it on the carbs, also im pretty sure the inlet mani i go for will be suitable for both carbs and bodies i assume so are interchangeable!!

yes i am running a Gripper diff that seems to work superbly in the 205, will be dropping to 15" wheels for next season as im currently on 16", have 2 8" wide and 2 9" wide so will give the car plenty of grip on new rubber!!

Yes an inlet manifold for 45 carbs and 45 jenvey throttle bodies is the same for 16v engines, obviously if your running an 8v engine with the carbs at moment it will be a different manifold.
Posted 26th Nov 2008 at 19:49
gti6girl

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
You will also need 48s or 50s to get 300bhp
Posted 26th Nov 2008 at 22:08