displaying posts 101 to 125 of 149

Pages (6): first .. 4 [5] 6

Author Subject: Modified inlet manifold (Now fitted)
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #101
is it going on standard or with this on?
Posted 24th Oct 2008 at 01:33
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #102
Standard tomorrow mate, so I can get an accurate before and after figure.

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:28
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #103
Ok, it's finally on (with muchos help from mates Chris and Ian) and as expected low down torque has been noticably affected. However above 4,700-5,000ish it flies to the redline much harder than before, and as its easily possible to keep the revs up over 4,500 when you are going for it the car will be quicker overall. It needs a proper run on a RR to see exactly where the losses and gains are but I am happy with the power delivery and response, more like a V-Tec now I guess, and as low down torque is'nt these car's strong point anyway I don't see it bieng much of an issue. (especially on trackNinja ) Forgot to bring the camera home so no pictures of the finished article until tomorrow I'm afraid. I don't fancy doing another one anytime soon though I can tell youLOL

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 00:20
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #104
I'm getting a lot more pops and bangs on the over run nowNinja any thoughts as to why this might be? Not too fussed as I like annoyng old ladies and such but just interested thats all.

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 05:51
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #105
Running a bit rich lower down from the change in pulse length perhaps?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 05:55
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #106
phillipm wrote:
Running a bit rich lower down from the change in pulse length perhaps?

It was runnig really rich before but not sure why, so it could really be over fueling
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:00
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #107
Slight airleak in the exhaust before the lambda?

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:08
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #108
By the way, power figure before the manifold went on was 188.7 bhp and peak torque was 170.9 ftlb @ 5562 rpm (If the reading is accurate) will have another go on the rollers in November or early December so I can give you the lowdown on where this mod looses/gains etc. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:28
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #109
phillipm wrote:
Slight airleak in the exhaust before the lambda?

Could be but its a brand new exhaust fitting kit so I hope not. I'll have a look under the car tomorrow and see for myself.

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:14
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #110
Mechanic reckoned the lambda sensor was up the spot tbh now I recollect, they are quite cheap on one of the sites recommended on here somewhere so I'll have to add one to the shopping list before it hits the rollers again. Might save me a few quid at the pumps too. CO level was 5% according to the MOT man and it should be closer to 0.5% so its getting way too much fuel at the moment.

Harness bars
Posted 26th Oct 2008 at 06:53
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #111
Right, as promised pictures of the finished manifold. It,s not been made to look pretty on the outside as yet because until it's proven on the rolling road that it's an improvement I'm not going to invest time painting/polishing it etc.

Inside view of the completed manifold:

Domed end cap (Done in an effort to keep flow within the manifold smooth into the last runner)

Clearance issue solved by grinding away a small portion of the edge of the PAS pump unit:

All done, and ready to razz!

Superman Ninja

Harness bars
Posted 28th Oct 2008 at 04:08
306andy

Senior User

Post #112
I've actually grown to friggin' love mine now.

At first i thought "ah sh*t, this is rubbish." but now i really see the differences its made.

The revs top-end are, as you said, like v-tec with no tailing off even at the limiter. I bet raising the limiter would see even greater results Wink

If you ever do another one, would you cut the runners in half and bore them out too to see if there is anything to be had from doing this?

I know i'll be doing this on the next inlet Yes

In respect to the pops and bangs comment, i have also noticed this, especially flameage at around 2-2.5k...i can only put it down to the increased air intake coming off throttle (stepper motor) and back on throttle around the aformentioned rpm

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

xbox Live tag: SilverGTi6
Posted 29th Oct 2008 at 05:05
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #113
If I do another, which I probably will, I have figured out a better way to enlarge the runners. Cutting them open would make it easy but then you have the problem of getting them back together again and welding it all up without warping the manifold and causing fitting issues. I think a

Harness bars
Posted 21st Nov 2008 at 04:39
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #114
any updates on this as it looks pretty good

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 20:22
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #115
Its going on the roller next sat so will see what affect it has had
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 20:28
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #116
daveyboy wrote:
By the way, power figure before the manifold went on was 188.7 bhp and peak torque was 170.9 ftlb @ 5562 rpm (If the reading is accurate)quote]

either your car isnt standard or the rollers are very far from accurate LOL

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 20:40
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #117

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 20:41
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #118
I'm going along to this rolling road day Pedro so it'll be interesting to see how it runs on the dyno compared to mine. I'm sure I have a small running problem (position of cams) but I'm hoping the AFR readout will prove this to me before I head back up to Rochdale to get things reset Big grin

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 20:55
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #119
results will definitely be interesting

wish i could make it down Sad

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:10
chris with a pug

Seasoned Pro

Post #120
I think the 180 odd is very optimistic, as car only has exsaust, de cat and filter.
Unless it was cammed by a previous owner.
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:13
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #121
No, I don't entirely trust their figure either tbh. But it will tell me wether or not the manifold has improved things or made them worse.

Harness bars
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:16
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #122
i got mine off ash and he had a rolling road before and after on his old 6 which was standard

170 bhp without
192 bhp with

lost a bit of bottom end and a bit of mid range but made a big difference to power at the top end Yes

i need to get my hands on a decat now see what difference that makes

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:21
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #123
Yes thats deffinitely how mine feels now, really looking foreward to finding out for sure though.

Harness bars
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:21
pedro_de_la_cruz

Seasoned Pro

Post #124
like i said to paul, wayne mapped mine knowing this so my mid range is the same as standard so driveability even with the pt81 cams has been kept the same and i have all the extra top end now too Yes

want a 2.1 bottom end and more compression now LOL

*R.I.P Pete Sims*
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:30
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #125
Cams and a remap would deffinitely release the full potential of the manifold.

But they will have to stay on hold until funds allow. Got to get my cage first!Ninja

Harness bars
Posted 7th Dec 2008 at 21:39

Pages (6): first .. 4 [5] 6