displaying posts 51 to 75 of 149

Pages (6): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last

Author Subject: Modified inlet manifold (Now fitted)
harry bo

Regular

Post #51
Apologies if this is a silly question, but why did Peugeot put the trumpets in if performance is improved by smoothing it? Smile

Great work btw, you must be very patient to do all that!

HB

It's Blaze and I like it Razz
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 03:35
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #52
I guess they were looking for allround performance (good driveability at low/medium revs) whereas I'm more interested in top end power in my car. Plus mass produced castings are always rough as standard and almost always benefit from a little dressing with a grinder!Big grin

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Some of my services: (See my for sale threads)
Engine mount/chassis repair
Solid Beam Mounts BACK IN PRODUCTION
Harness bars
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 03:41
harry bo

Regular

Post #53
Fair enough, that makes sense. I'm with you on the top end... life begins at 4k Wink

HB

It's Blaze and I like it Razz
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 03:48
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
Im eagerly awaiting the results of this.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
harry bo wrote:
Fair enough, that makes sense. I'm with you on the top end... life begins at 7k Wink

HB

Fixed!

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:22
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #56
Not going to be too conclusive I'm afraid Birk as my car has never been on the rollers. Just going to have to see what it feels like after I suppose as I'm unwilling to do two trips to the dyno to tell for sure. Bound to be better though even if just marginally. And its not like its cost me anything (except my time)Cool

R H Davey Welding Supplies. I sell new and used welding equipment in the Hampshire area. I take on welding jobs in the evenings, ally casting repairs are one of my specialities but I can weld pretty much anything. PM me with your requirements.

Harness bars
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:24
petegti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
You doing anything else to go with, cams and remap would be a good option here Smile

Cress87 wrote:
This place is getting beyond a joke. There's been an enormous influx of bellends signing up recently

Team 205 1.9 GTi

Team: Hmm™
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:36
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #58
Tis true... i might get this done myself and stick it on rollers, standard wise, then change it quickly and see if it helps Smile

Dan
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:38
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #59
Thats all planned for the future, been on a bit of a spending spree with Rich W lately, so cams and a re-map are on hold for the time bieng. Hopefully though it will have lightened flywheel and crankshaft pulley, PT82s and a ported throttle body. Thats what I'm aiming for anyway.
Ninja

Harness bars
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:40
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #60
If I was going to do this again I would cut the manifold much closer to the runners, this would leave me with way laee trumpet to remove with the grinder. Keeping both me, and my neighbours happyRazz

Harness bars
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 04:44
306andy

Senior User

Post #61
I finished off the manifold tonight, well as far as could with the tools at home.

Its down to a bare minimum inside there and each port has been fully smoothed, enlarged and "tapered" out a bit. I also grinded off the lumps left by those "connecting/support" rods (2 of) that were in there.

Its being welded tomorrow finally Yes by some nuclear engineering company Geek

To be perfectly honest, i see this manifold as a trail and error type-thing. Once fitted i'll see the results (if any) and from there i can get another one, and do things properly (i.e: not with an angle grinder LOL)

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

xbox Live tag: SilverGTi6
Posted 21st Oct 2008 at 17:11
paul_gti6_uk

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Do you know if they remove the trumpet tops in the BTCC ones? Just curoius as when I looked into changing things on one of my bikes just changing the height of the trumpet had an effect on the shape of the power curve. Do you think without them that the air shall flow into the engine smoothly enough?

Would have been good to get a before and after run to see where you lose and gain with the work you have done.

China Blue 306GTI-6 Big grin Ph3

Team Now Bikeless Sad
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 06:12
306andy

Senior User

Post #63
It was 173hp on the rollers last time Paul. I'll re-roller it and let you know

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 06:22
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
paul_gti6_uk wrote:
Do you know if they remove the trumpet tops in the BTCC ones? Just curoius as when I looked into changing things on one of my bikes just changing the height of the trumpet had an effect on the shape of the power curve. Do you think without them that the air shall flow into the engine smoothly enough?

Would have been good to get a before and after run to see where you lose and gain with the work you have done.

dont seem to suffer any probs with my one just pulls harder with it on

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 8th Oct 2008 at 18:50
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #65
Managed to progress the manifold a little more tonight, I need to get a long reach die-grinder for doing the runners but the plenum is almost there. Hopefully this will be on the car by the end of next week.

Harness bars
Posted 11th Oct 2008 at 03:36
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #66
Looking good! how you guna get an even surface with the runners though, surely it would be quite hard, especially as they curve quite a bit, the grinder may get caught at some point.

Wonder if ther would be a benefit by cutting the manifold runners down? Unsure

Dan
Posted 11th Oct 2008 at 03:53
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #67
Not if you use extended burrs. Thought about cutting the runners, but there will be a step when you weld them back together no matter how careful you are. I'm sure it will be ok, and after all it can hardly be worse than it was!LOL

Harness bars
Posted 18th Oct 2008 at 03:34
gtisid

Seasoned Pro

Post #68
looks more like it in the manifold, that is what mine looks like inside, the photos dont really show mine up to well. think it maybe more polishing in the 4pipe s but it feels so much lighter than the standard one so i guess they maybe ported . the bores certainly look bigger.
how long did that take you to getting it like that? if you got a few more i reckon you could get an exchange service going on these as a lot of people have asked about mine but 500 for the body and manifold porting is a lot for 18-20 hp and then mapping it aswell. from what i can see there it looks as good as a longmans one , so once you had some rolling road figures and a bargain price you could be a busy man as it is a third of the price of throttle bodies and only a few hp difference if it mapps well.
also worth a set of verniers as when wayne mapped my car once he had sorted the fuelling the extra gains he made by adjusting the pullies was amazing. i only have OE pullies so should i ever rework the head with better cams and solid lifters i will definately get adjustable verniers. unfortunately my timing was set back to standard settings after having to having a new cam carrier fitted. still made around 205 hp thoughon a more recent power run and i havent had the pullies messed with since so there is more power in there just got to remap again with wayne chipwizards to get those horses out .

pugless
Phase 1 GTI 6 1996-1997
Subaru Impreza GB270 2007-2008
rare spiderman comics
same day international courier
Posted 12th Oct 2008 at 04:15
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #69
Yeah, still got a way to go on the runners, I got a PTFE gasket today and I'm going to offer it up tomorrow and see how much material I have to remove. In terms of time the first ine is taking a while cos my grinder is shot, but if i was to do another one I would cut it differently to save myself a lot of the roughing down of the trumpets. I'll work out a costing on the next one I do and see if it's feasible to do more of them for other people on here.

Harness bars
Posted 13th Oct 2008 at 00:00
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #70
Did you get yours back on yet Andy? And did it make much of a difference?

Harness bars
Posted 18th Oct 2008 at 03:35
xsimoss

Regular

Post #71
gtisid wrote:
what happened to the other fella that cut his open and went to town on it? he sounded like he was going to do the whole thing with chopping the trumpets off and polishing it but he hasnt been on here for ages.
you can expect to see 18-20 hp out of this mod if done properly. i have a longmans one on mine and it is the best mod i have by far

Might off been me mate. I did this to mine. The car feels like it revs better and feels better round the track, but when we rolling roaded it it was 2 bhp down and 10 torques down. Having said that it was 2 different rolling roads.

Gti6 running gear, Pug performance inlet cam, 4-1 ex/man, Modified in/man, decat, Magnex centre/back, cone air filter, AVO Coilovers, EBC grooved discs and mintex 1155s, stripped out interior, Oil Cooler, 17" rotas

BUY IT, WRECK IT, BIN IT!
Posted 18th Oct 2008 at 05:25
xsimoss

Regular

Post #72
Heres the thread

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=88905&page=last

xsimoss has attached the following image:

Gti6 running gear, Pug performance inlet cam, 4-1 ex/man, Modified in/man, decat, Magnex centre/back, cone air filter, AVO Coilovers, EBC grooved discs and mintex 1155s, stripped out interior, Oil Cooler, 17" rotas

Posted 18th Oct 2008 at 05:34
306andy

Senior User

Post #73
Nah still not got mine on yet Daveyboy...i'm a lazy git you see LOL

It will be going on soon, hopefully monday Yes

TEAM 205 GTi-5
TEAM Phase 1 GTi-6

Posted 18th Oct 2008 at 18:41
daveyboy

aka Jim Davey

Post #74
Thats not good Moss, are you going to take it back off and re-fit a standard one now? Hope mine doesnt do the same, I will be enlarging the runners too, did you do that as well?

Harness bars
Posted 19th Oct 2008 at 15:28
xsimoss

Regular

Post #75
daveyboy wrote:
Thats not good Moss, are you going to take it back off and re-fit a standard one now? Hope mine doesnt do the same, I will be enlarging the runners too, did you do that as well?

By runners do you mean the 4 ports off the main plunum chamber, if so, no we just left those with the std bore. We just wanted to see what effect removing the trumpets would have.

I'm tempted to put the std manifold back on and take it back to the rolling road place, but it feels like it revs better up the top end, and for what we use the car for its a good thing (and it sounds awesome). Will let you know if I ever put the std manifold back on, but no time at the mo as all the time is being spent stripping the car out, lol.

Having said all that its looks like you have done a REALLY good job on the manifold so hope you see some gains.

Posted 19th Oct 2008 at 16:23

Pages (6): first .. 2 [3] 4 .. last