displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Starting Issue
keep-3

Senior User

Post #1
Wonder if any one can help before I visit a garage.

Twice now ive got in my car, put the key in the ignition, turned it and nothing has happened. doesnt turn over, no lights on the dash etc.
Eventally ive got it to work although I dont know how, however the alarm lights seem to keep going off including whilst driving (siren hasnt worked for a while)

Ive also experianced whilst driving slight dips in power asif the car basically stools and all the lights come on the dash, causing me to quickily restart the car whilst moving and occasionally my speedo will randomily drop to 0.mph

Im unsure if these problems are related but if anyone has any advice on this it would be muchly appreciated. Smile
Posted 30th Sep 2008 at 14:47
cahillscornerflag

Senior User

Post #2
I had this the other day, wouldn't start, no lights on the dash, nothing. Somehow the battery terminal had worked itself lose, so i just put it back on and problem solved. Maybe have a check under the bonnet to see if there is anything obvious that's wrong around you battery first...Unsure

'00 Astor Grey GTi-6 - Regretfully sold!
'89 Onyx Black 205 GTi 1.6

Posted 30th Sep 2008 at 15:31
keep-3

Senior User

Post #3
Cheers for the reply, this was one of the first things I checked though, everything seems conected fine.
Posted 30th Sep 2008 at 16:45
sussitout

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
keep-3 wrote:
Wonder if any one can help before I visit a garage.

Twice now ive got in my car, put the key in the ignition, turned it and nothing has happened. doesnt turn over, no lights on the dash etc.
Eventally ive got it to work although I dont know how, however the alarm lights seem to keep going off including whilst driving (siren hasnt worked for a while)

Ive also experianced whilst driving slight dips in power asif the car basically stools and all the lights come on the dash, causing me to quickily restart the car whilst moving and occasionally my speedo will randomily drop to 0.mph

Im unsure if these problems are related but if anyone has any advice on this it would be muchly appreciated. Smile

Had all these problems in our 6s. Loss of power could be the Oxygen sensor - yet to change mine on the Astor. Have done on the White 6 and do not have the problem now. As for non starting could be battery related. Check fuses because alarm/starting issues are related in some way. Sorry not much help. Others on this site could offer better suggestions. Perhaps they will.

White 6: 2003 > Grumpychef in 2009; Diablo 6 2003 > Dafydd in 2004 > Yeomans > where is it now? Red Rallye 2004 > Wayne1 early in 2007 > itsagass 2009. Astor 6 bought April 2005 > Dave. Durham Co.
Posted 14th Oct 2008 at 20:04
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #5
I appreciate that I'm reviving a very old thread but hopefully it'll go some way towards showing that I've done a search.
I see Keep-3 hasn't posted since September '08 but if anyone else has had similar problems I'd be very keen to hear how they were resolved. (If they were resolved)

My 6 is randomly cutting out, when I say cutting out I mean a total loss, complete electrical failure. No dash lights, no central locking, nothing.

It did it on a bloody forecourt yesterday, I'd just put some juice in, jumped in and went to start it and

mechanical_repairs wrote:

i feel like giving her a good dry bumming session.
Posted 23rd Nov 2009 at 19:05
fletch

Track Head

Post #6
Check the battery terminals are all secure.

Check the offside of the engine compartment for one of the most important Earths from the gearbox to the chassis. Check it's secure and clean if necessary.
Posted 23rd Nov 2009 at 19:25
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #7
Cheers Fletch, will do. Much appreciated. Thumbs up

Posted 23rd Nov 2009 at 19:31
gti6-ginge

Regular

Post #8
had a fault just like this after checking all the earth points cleaning them up a putting them fault was still there. turned out to be the ignition switch on the ignition barrel. hope this helps

MY CAR WAS BUILT ON 17/03/2000 THATS A FRIDAY OH NO
Posted 24th Nov 2009 at 00:06
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #9
Cheers 'ginge' something else to check.
I do appreciate it. Smile

Got called back from work 'cause the bairn wouldn't settle so will have to wait till tomorrow now.

Posted 24th Nov 2009 at 01:16
gti6-ginge

Regular

Post #10
2 commen faults with them are breaking up internaly. also the switch wearing. you have to remove the switch from the barrel and test it. easist way to do it is put a flat blade screwdriver in the slot. should be quite stiff to turn. if not a very good chance is worn and thats you fault.

MY CAR WAS BUILT ON 17/03/2000 THATS A FRIDAY OH NO
Posted 24th Nov 2009 at 01:36
Ben_gti-6

Senior User

Post #11
mine is citting out etc like this at the moment, but its got something to do with the battery earth, i just give the battery a wiggle an run my hand down the negative battery cable give that a wiggle an the car starts fine, this has happened to me on a fourcourt an at asda an the coop an at work getting board of it now,though it hasnt done it for a week now Smile

More than happy with my re-mapped T5
Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:24
allesclar

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
dying battery? my bros car kept doing that, replaced the battery and hey presto Thumbs up

Team allesclar ®

Posted 26th Nov 2009 at 23:25
blaze wip

Senior User

Post #13
I found the negative terminal clamp was smashed, over tightened possibly. And possibly by me as i had the battery out when i did the clutch cable. This would kind of explain why the car would work after rocking it or slamming the door.

Picked one up off a D-turbo for free from the local scrappy, slightly different length on the body earth lead so had to make a new point on the bulkhead but seems ok so far, although i literally fired it up, took it for a quick spin then came back and took the works van home so time will tell.

Also whacked the new headlight (thanks sarahsix) in last night, all but two clips on the hockeys were snapped but all went back together nicely.
Also noticed that this (new to me) headlight only used one bulb, not two as in my old smashed unit. Is this from a lower spec model?

Posted 27th Nov 2009 at 17:09