displaying posts 1 to 25 of 97

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last

Author Subject: AP Racing Budget Brake Project
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Total Price: £672 Big grin

Every since taking a trip to the Nurburgring in May 2007 I have been considering upgrading the brakes on the Rallye for something a little more potent as eventually I plan on getting a new car and the Rallye will become my toy Devil

I had looked at many options at the time and after seeing Mike’s (Cosmic Spanner) Brembos and Mile’s AP Racing setup on his Rallye in Germany I was in love Love Sadly the price of the darn AP things gave me a slap in the face Doh Back to the drawing board I decided to take a punt on a set of Fiat Coupe Brembos with brackets to fit on the 306 along with some 406 Coupe discs. To my amazement these actually fitted, although to get sufficient clearance I would have needed some spacers around 5mm Yes Before fitting I had planned to refurb these badboys and get some stainless pistons put in at the same time Smile Well I got as far as stripping down both calipers completely ready for painting when I got a little sidetracked by the purchase of a house, bricks and mortar aren’t really my thing but hey this beastly house was gonna eat my weekends for the next year or so Sad So things were left there and the preliminary brake concept slept in the loft for a bit Yes

Fast forward to around May this year and I was starting to get a little bit of non DIY time available to me, time for a project I thought Whistle I had at the time followed Rich W’s radial mounted Brembo upgrade and it triggered a little alarm in my head, I knew of the parts involved in the radial AP Racing kit for the 306 and I knew of the costs involved but what if I could get my hands on a set of said AP calipers and go about developing a fairly cheap to build / cheap to run kit, easier said than done I thought but hey what the hell I don’t see anyone else doing an AP Racing setup on a budget Yes So off I set…… with a measly sum of £600 as my budget Crazy

First things first I was going to have to get my hands on a set of AP Racing CP5200 calipers. These are the calipers used in their kit for the 306 and the piston sizes are perfect for our cars Yes Now doing my research it was obvious these calipers were used for many different applications so I thought it shouldn’t be too hard to find some Smile Sadly it was quite the opposite, nobody wants to part with these calipers as they are so god damn good Doh However after a few unsuccessful bids on ebay when they did appear for sale I received a chance email from a seller that had been messed around by a buyer, as I had shown an interest prior he ask me to make him an offer, £300 later and I had snapped them up Big grin Now at the time these chaps were mated to some steel brackets ready for a Volvo S70, it became apparent to me then that I had some work to do Hmm

The kit that AP Racing produce for the 306 is comprises of a 315mm x 28mm disc and is designed to fit under 16” wheels. I briefly considered purchasing the remainder of the kit from AP Racing so that I could get everything together but when I totalled up the cost it came to a still rather expensive £1288.27 Shock This clearly was not in the design brief I had set myself as these brakes needed to be good but affordable at the same time. I began looking into developing some brackets and disc mounting bells myself much like Ash has done with his Brembo 330mm kit but once I had totalled everything up it still blew my budget by some way Yes I needed to make the most of what was available if I was going to make this work Geek After Rich W’s sterling work I knew it was possible to fit some calipers along with the Peugeot 406 305mm discs under some 16” wheels so I had this as the back-up plan if there was not an easier option, it turned out for my budget and particular design brief this was about the only option Whistle

First things first I was going to have to make the calipers fit with the 305mm discs which would involve fabricating some sort of mounting bracket Yes I had the spare 305mm discs lying around from the Brembo Kit in the loft so I dug them out and began to have a look. Now thankfully I kinda have an A-Level in graphical design (long story) so I knew how to design what I needed to be made up, it was just gonna be a case of getting all the correct measurements together, once again easier said than done. Thankfully the AP Racing website is spot on and I was able to get hold of some excellent technical drawings for the CP5200 calipers, as well as a lot of the measurements needed it also confirmed to me that the actual design of the caliper hadn’t really changed for quite some time so even though I had an older version than the current one there is no major difference between the two Smile

By a stroke of luck I had a spare 306 hub sat in the shed so I dug this out and got busy with the ruler finding out all the measurements needed from that while at the same time taking crucial measurements from my alloys so that I could be certain the setup would fit with no issues. With these measurements I drew up some scale drawings of the hub mounting along with a scale drawing of the 305mm disc and another scale drawing of the caliper side profile. By cutting out these scale drawings I was able to piece them together like a puzzle to the required dimensions and in doing so retrieve some crucial dimensions needed for the caliper bracket. I then set about in a similar fashion with some top down drawings that enabled me to finalise the overall dimensions needed for the caliper bracket, with these in place I started work on my design Yes

After a few hours busy with the pencil I had finished my rather simple design for some aluminium caliper mounting brackets. I have to thank Rich W here as the pics from his setup enabled me to visualise what the bracket should/would look like

I had decided like Rich to get some stainless helical inserts in the aluminium for securing the caliper to bracket bolts safely. All this information was provided on the drawing so in theory all that the engineer needed to do was get the materials and then do some number crunching on his CNC machine Yes

The next step would be to find an engineer and get them made up, before that however I thought it would be prudent to go over my designs, thank god I did Blush It turned out I had been a little hasty with one of the measurements and taken it from a drawing I believed to be to scale due to another measurement, however this was not true and the offset position of my caliper mounting holes was way out! Crazy I quickly set about amending the drawings and once I was happy I hadn’t made any further amateur mistakes I got on the blower to a few engineers/machinists Phone After some telling me they didn’t deal with parts that they could be held liable for in the event of an accident (so that’s everything then Roll eyes) I found a nice chap not too far from home who once he had seen the designs believed he could knock them up without too much trouble for £125 inc VAT. This was the sort of price I was looking for so it was all systems go Ninja I popped a check along with my finalised designs in the post and the next day they started work Hyper

While the brackets were being made I decided I should sort out the rest of the kit ready for installation:

A decent brakes kit is always going to need stainless steel hose so I picked up some from Miles on this site, they are superb quality and have all stainless fixings rather than zinc plated. To go with these (as they will be too short) I already had some copper extensions that I had brought for the Brembo setup, these came with stainless fixings too and were expertly knocked up by Phillip M (a.k.a MacGyver LOL). These cost £37 and £4 respectively if I remember correctly.

Now in order for the calipers to actually stop the car I was gonna need some sort of frictional resistance going on, it was decided new discs and pads would be the best solution Whistle

I had spent some time researching what kind of pads I wanted and had decided I wanted a set for high performance road use and occasional track work. For this particular caliper there is an almighty choice of pad compounds available from a huge number of manufacturers so I really did have all the choice in the world Happy After a few days pondering I decided that some Pagid RS4-2 Blue’s were the choice for me Yes One reason that I chose these is that there was a good supply of them on Ebay for a excellent price of around £60! The other reason was the feedback given from members of this site, all raved about the pads and said that if they were in the budget then these would be the ones to go for Yes Cheers to all those that gave feedback in my thread Thumbs up

As for the discs I was left with a slight dilemma, do I go really cheap to stay in budget or do I go high end and blow it completely? It was decided that a compromise was best and a set of 406 Coupe Brembo Discs were picked up from GSF for roughly £99. I would put a pic up but I don’t have one right now and besides you all know what they look like Wink

Right now the brackets are just being finished off and I am ordering up some AP Racing AP Formula Racing Brake Fluid Dot 5.1 for the new system. I was originally going to do this project thread when all was finished but then I thought it would be better to get your mouths watering first Laugh Razz

So far the costs roughly look like this:

Calipers: £300
Brake Pads: £60
Brake Lines: £37
Brake Extensions: £4
Brake Discs: £99
Caliper Brackets: £125
Brake Fluid: £12 (estimate)

Total: £637

Not bad Big grin

I will keep this updated as and when Thumbs up

Just Drive It
Posted 15th Oct 2008 at 15:02
sarthe82

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Great stuff Tom, good to see RichW and Ash have got some competition in the design and research stakes. Reckon if that works out well on the car there could be a strong market for these! Thumbs up

Steve Big grin

Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:34
puglover Banned!

Post #3
immense mate, if only i had the balls to do something like this. Ive toyed with the idea of doing something similar with the ap calipers myself. £1500 is just way to expensive

Its justs the bracket dimensions etc and precision measuring i don't feel confident with.

I think you should design me a bracket to fit some of those calipers to some of compbrakes 330mm rotors. Whistle

im sure you could make some money on it Yes
Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:38
stu

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Good work, excellent read also. Look forward to seeing the finished article. Cool
Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:42
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Cheers guys Smile

A lot of the precision dimensions can be obtained from AP drawings so you are just left with the design part really, it does take quite a lot of thought power to get it all on paper though Crazy

Rich and Ash kinda inspired me to get going and actually do it, i guess it could all still go very wrong but im pretty confident everything will fit together once done Big grin

When finished im gonna have a chat to a few AP Racing suppliers and see what their prices are for a set of new calipers, that way it could be viable for others as right now it seems pretty hard to get hold of second hand ones Yes

The main ethos behind the design was a performance brake setup that is affordable to look after so the discs might be a heavy option but they are easy to get and reasonably cheap. the good news is i can easily get some bells made up and increase the disc size at the same time in the future if need be, just need some shims from AP and away we go Ninja

Just Drive It
Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:50
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
puglover wrote:

I think you should design me a bracket to fit some of those calipers to some of compbrakes 330mm rotors. Whistle

From what i now know i don't think it would be that hard No Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 21:48
midlife

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Superb thread TomThumbs up

Cool

Get used to seeing the yellow one !!!MehMehMehMehMeh
Team 330™Cool
Team "no front end or engine"
Team "LIMITED EDITION" I live for the 306 stickerSmug
Team 0-60 in 6.44 & standing qtr in 14.808 @ 94.55mph all with std engineSmug
203bhp Corolla T-Sport daily driver stealthier than Kwai Chang Caine
Posted 3rd Sep 2008 at 22:32
matsoki

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Spot on Tom.....

Good work, nice write up...

Built on 25th November 1998... That was a Wednesday..... Thank God it wasn't a Friday!

RIP - Pete Sims
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 01:46
Welly Forum Admin

Post #9
Good man, having done it myself it really is easy to do providing you have a good set of verniers and a few brain cell's.

Well done fella Thumbs up

Life is a lie. The only certainty of which is death. Go live and enjoy yourself. The clock is ticking

Vrs power!!
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 02:12
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #10
Fantastic bit of work Tom!

Nice to see so many members getting their hands dirty and having a go at doing various things Thumbs up
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 02:15
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Cheers guys Smile Have just worked out we must look like a right cheapo bunch to other forums, all we do is find ways to do things on a budget Laugh

Must say when i saw your brake setup Welly i was tempted just to buy one of your kits when finished but the fact that i was already well into this little project meant i had to carry on, yours do look like the perfect low cost upgrade Thumbs up

Hopefully pick the brackets up tonight Hyper

Just Drive It
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 17:02
chrissykapow

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
nobody likes spending the earth on what is basically... a few bits of metal and pipes Thumbs up everything in this world is far too expensive as it is!

My Myspace / Band Myspace / My Facebook
Team China GTi6
always more to come....Devil
pic1 pic2 pic3 pic4 pic5 pic6 pic7 pic8 pic9 pic10
-------------------------------
* Quote of the day:- "Grow some balls.. but why balls??? They're soft and sensitive. Grow a vagina... man, those things can take a pounding!!" *
--------------------------------
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 16:31
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
If I'd known you could of copied my brackets from the proper AP kit! Looks like you've done a good job though!

I paid just shy of

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 17:13
pye21

Junior User

Post #14
Excellant, i have been thinking of doing something similair with a Compbrake disc/rotor combo.

What was brake clearance like on your kit Pete? Would flat faced MO's fit?
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 18:11
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
pete_rallye wrote:
If I'd known you could of copied my brackets from the proper AP kit! Looks like you've done a good job though!

I paid just shy of

Just Drive It
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 18:53
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
pye21 wrote:
Excellant, i have been thinking of doing something similair with a Compbrake disc/rotor combo.

Did start to go down this route but i had a budget and what with other recnt expenditure i was determined to stick to it Yes In the future i may get some ally bells and rotors to mimic the 406 coupe discs and decrease unsprung weight further Devil

Just Drive It
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 18:55
fletch

Track Head

Post #17
rallyestyle wrote:
pete_rallye wrote:

I paid just shy of
Posted 4th Sep 2008 at 21:03
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I had slightly different calipers to those when I bought the kit, those calipers were lug mounted, the kit on my btcc 306 has the same brackets as you had made and similar radial mount calipers.

All calipers have the seals you are talking about, thats what stops the brake fluid p*ssing out everywhere! The proper 'dirt' seals are big seals that stop crap getting between the caliper and the piston (before the o-ring) and scouring the pistons, cos then the o-ring seals don't work.

I used mine on the road plenty though and never had any problems. I read a few reviews on them too from people who use them on the road and no-one had any issues. Just give em a check over evry now and then.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 5th Sep 2008 at 20:38
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
pete_rallye wrote:

All calipers have the seals you are talking about, thats what stops the brake fluid p*ssing out everywhere! The proper 'dirt' seals are big seals that stop crap getting between the caliper and the piston (before the o-ring) and scouring the pistons, cos then the o-ring seals don't work.

I used mine on the road plenty though and never had any problems. I read a few reviews on them too from people who use them on the road and no-one had any issues. Just give em a check over evry now and then.

Meh Asked the chap at AP Racing as i thought the same as you and that's the answer he gave me Unsure Anyway im not too worried as you say as i only do max 5k miles per year and will be doing a few checks on them Thumbs up

Have an update now, just need to upload the pics.... Hyper

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 14:24
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
So I picked up the brackets from the machinist on Friday afternoon and all was looking good, the design is fairly simple so it wasn

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 16:13
ash

Six Addict

Post #21
Excellent work, make sure you have clearance between the disc and wishbone balljoint, that was my first mistake, having originally designed the kit on a hub without the wishbone/balljoint connected. :fingerscrossed
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 16:36
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
ash wrote:
Excellent work, make sure you have clearance between the disc and wishbone balljoint, that was my first mistake, having originally designed the kit on a hub without the wishbone/balljoint connected. :fingerscrossed

I hadnt really thought of that one Doh However i have had those discs on the car before with the fiat brembos and there were no problems then as far as i can remember No Let's hope so anyway buddy otherwise im gonna be the biggest muppet in the world Laugh Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 16:46
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Look really good, nice one! My set-up is more or less identical to that, and probably cost 3x as much! I am probably going to spacer my calipers out to suit 304mm discs instead of the 295mm one's I have at the moment, just need to check inner wheel clearance.

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 17:09
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
pete_rallye wrote:
Look really good, nice one! My set-up is more or less identical to that, and probably cost 3x as much! I am probably going to spacer my calipers out to suit 304mm discs instead of the 295mm one's I have at the moment, just need to check inner wheel clearance.

What wheels you running Pete? With the AP Racing design i think you should be able to get up to 315mm under 16"'s as i think they offset the disc/bell to allow a larger diameter Yes Just thought however yours is a custom racing jobbie though so who knows, lets hope so though Smile

Just Drive It
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 17:17
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
I run 15's, 304mm is the biggest that I have run under 15's but may have a look at 315mm, there was a bit of space left with the team dynamic wheels, 11mm bigger discs should only need another 6mm of clearance so it may be possible...

Lap of the 'ring
Posted 8th Sep 2008 at 17:23

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 .. last