displaying posts 576 to 600 of 659

Pages (27): first .. 23 [24] 25 .. last

Author Subject: 2wd Offroad Buggy
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #576
Pathetic excuse! Razz
Joking aside, it's definitely handy having access to CNC machines, shame i don't anymore. Sad

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Apr 2016 at 21:36
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #577
Good news, the CV joints are here!

Bad news, they're the undercut 'race' ones with undersized CV balls that we don't want, as they're crap for wear and distort where the bolt heads are undercut.
So yes, more waiting....

On the upside, whilst waiting....wings in progress...

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 12th May 2016 at 21:58
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #578
Have you changed approach now and making it into a glider?
I guess it will help take some of the load off the suspension RazzLOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th May 2016 at 22:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #579
I'm not even 1/4 way through the wing yet! Big grin

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 12th May 2016 at 22:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #580
And todays other 'got bored and had some spare plastic in the corner of the wing rib sheet' shoutout goes to - 306 Guitar Pick:

Email me!
Posted 12th May 2016 at 23:34
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #581
Love it Phil Thumbs up .....
Posted 13th May 2016 at 07:33
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #582
Been and swapped the CV's today, forgot to get a photo but they're some very shiny mirror-polished GKN outers, chromoly race cages, eletropolished centre stars and balls already fitted.
I need to hand finish some of the tracks but apart from that the rest of the prep work is already done so it should be a quick job to get them bolted up, bar coating the driveshafts in some anti-chip coating to stop any places cracks could propagate from.
Clutch pipe needs remaking as we've spotted a bit of a weep on one of the hardpipe fittings but then it can go for a trundle up lane at last!

Oh, wing got bigger too. This is full width for the first element, 3 more joining it shortly, in progress atm.

Be a couple of weeks whilst we get it going as currently rebuilding one of the old spaceframed beasties we used to make for a customer.

Email me!
Posted 20th May 2016 at 21:52
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #583
Oh, and I trial fitted the rear wing yesterday.....it, errr, looks rather larger than expected....Big grin

Email me!
Posted 23rd May 2016 at 11:36
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #584
phillipm wrote:
Good news, the CV joints are here!

Bad news, they're the undercut 'race' ones with undersized CV balls that we don't want, as they're crap for wear and distort where the bolt heads are undercut.
So yes, more waiting....

On the upside, whilst waiting....wings in progress...

Corr, that brings back memories. I made a rear wing for my Citroen, hand formed sheet aluminium around an aluminium frame, not too disimilar to yours.Thumbs up
Posted 24th May 2016 at 13:43
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #585
This will have a cloth and then fibreglass skin - didn't want to use aluminium as the likelyhood of it being hit by rocks and branches is somewhere in the region of 110% - so it'd be bent and battered pretty quick!

Email me!
Posted 24th May 2016 at 18:20
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #586
Well, that's one (still needs it fibreglass skin, has a thin balsa layer at the minute to form the cloth over and it's allowed me to foam fill the leading and trailing edges for dent resistance)....

On to the always growing list of 'additional s**t we shouldn't touch until it's finished but we're probably going to do anyway' - the front mudguard mountings tubes are going, they were originally left separate to the damper mounts so no damage occurred to the suspension if a mudguard got ripped off, but we've worked out a smaller, neater way to do it which gets that curved tube out of the equation. Should be lighter, look a lot neater and gets the tube out of the way of the wing endplates.

Oh yes, as you can see it has some shiny new nerf rails down the sides too to go with the bumper that's in progress.
Good for bouncing off trees, rocks and mowing down small children.

Email me!
Posted 16th Jun 2016 at 22:18
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #587
Front wing got skinned to give it shape, was just waiting for a skin of carbon and then a foam fill which *should* bring the surfaces back up flat.

Also have some more upgrades going on after some testing - and a few teething issues (you know, the normal sheared bolts, oil all over the floor, nearly breaking wrists trying to hold steering wheel against the P/S going nuts) - but I forgot to take pictures, sorry.
The venerable old 106/Saxo pump unit for the power steering system is finally retiring from service, in favour of a more powerful new unit with a solid-state electronic controller.
We now have more fluid flow at full power - which is welcome as with a very short ratio steering rack (a single turn lock-to-lock) the old pump could sometimes lag behind the wheel input in tight corners.
In addition to that it can vary it's speed to hold a target pressure vs loading - so we use a lot less electrical power the rest of the time, including a low speed/low power automatic idle mode when the steering isn't in use such as queueing for a stage start. Might not sound like a big benefit but it's a little more horsepower from the engine due to the lower electrical load, and it eases the strain on the alternator as although we run a large 160amp unit to keep up with the various heavy loads, it still doesn't have much spare when everything is running.
We also have other niceties such as built in fluid filters/air removal chambers and baffled pump inlets to prevent any dirt or air getting sucked into the system whilst bouncing around over the rough.
Anyway, testing today showed everything worked well....eventually anyway...so now we just need to make a new tank for the PAS fluid to suit and perhaps some upgrades to allow a control knob to enable quick switches between various assistance settings (not so much for our car but might be fitting a few to other racers which require more/less pressure).

TLBig grinR - New P/S pump. Works better than old pump. Is shinier.

And just in case you hadn't had enough of half finished wing pictures yet....another rear element skeleton built up awaiting foam + skinning:

Also decided to draw 'em up properly in CAD rather than just a skin - means I can work out where best to put the slot gap spacers then. Hoping to get away with a single centre one just to keep things where they should be:

Which means you can put the initial skins on and just do a quick and dirty deflection test - miles away from an accurate loading scenario, need to model endplates and the skins first, never mind the bonds, fillets and foam, but I have done some mock skins for pressure loading as well as impacts so they're more than close enough to check things, it'd only ever be better than this anyway unless the skins and foam seperate:

But I like shiny so that led to this:

Tempting...

Email me!
Posted 18th Jul 2016 at 18:48
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #588
Of course, if some is good, more is better....rear wing...

Endplates next, they need to be fairly large aerodynamically but that's going to cause issues with mounting so few iterations for a compromise and see what we end up with.

Email me!
Posted 19th Jul 2016 at 21:52
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #589
phillipm wrote:

And just in case you hadn't had enough of half finished wing pictures yet....another rear element skeleton built up awaiting foam + skinning:

Ah i see you have QC on the job there. I have the same such quality management system on my jobs. LOL

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 20th Jul 2016 at 10:25
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #590
That is some amazing bit of engineering you have there, you mentioned the foam, then I remembered that I filled my wing with expanding foam to give it some more rigidity. It was the first time I had used expanding foam, and what a mess, it got all over the place.
Those wing skeletons look like something from Duxford museum.

Keep up the good work!.
Posted 20th Jul 2016 at 11:29
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #591
I used some pourable stuff that doesn't expand much, sets much harder than building foam - same stuff I used for reinforcing a-pillars and sills - not quite as messy but sticks like s**t to anything you spill it on LOL

Email me!
Posted 20th Jul 2016 at 11:56
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #592
Right, not massively happy with the dry sump drive system as there's a fair bit of vibration from the tooted belt, and it walks the belt back and forth over the pulleys (Doesn't help the pulley that came with it wobbles a little too) - so the drive is off and two new pulleys are coming next week, need to machine them and fit custom hubs but it's going on some fancy herringbone pulleys that are much quieter/less vibration (like helical gears vs straight cut), plus they self centre so if some debris does get in there it should still stay on.
Bit more work on something that already worked - but the pump had to be taken off as the end float is out of spec now it's been bedded in so needs stripping and adjusting, so it doesn't take up any more time than leaving it....plus they're shiny Whistle

Email me!
Posted 21st Jul 2016 at 20:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #593
no chance of belt slip then Big grin

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 21st Jul 2016 at 21:19
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #594
Oh no Big grin

Doesn't matter if it walks a little on the pulleys either. Although knowing my luck it'll split down the middle and both sides with walk off instead...

Email me!
Posted 21st Jul 2016 at 21:21
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #595
Just in case you weren't fed up of seeing wing pictures yet....endplates and gurney, etc:

Email me!
Posted 22nd Jul 2016 at 20:35
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #596
New PAS pump is finished and in, old relegated Peugeot pump sulking in the background...

Mounting bracket - think Ed got a set of holesaws for Christmas...

Email me!
Posted 24th Jul 2016 at 21:25
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #597
And probably as far as the endplates will get refined - at this point they're still easy to make, rapidly into diminishing returns in the case of time vs benefit otherwise:

edit: Red is faster. Thumbs up

Email me!
Posted 25th Jul 2016 at 22:45
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #598
One for old Citroen fans - the new drive system, soon to meet the lathe for some serious weight reduction and some aluminium centres - shouldn't have any issues with any mud/stones that get through the seals either with these!
They also run a lot quieter with less vibration/stress as an extra bonus.

And of course, can't go without more wings.....now they're red. Red cars are fastest, well known fact. You knew it was going to happen:

And no, your eyes aren't going, it really is fuzzy - it's the weave from the cloth.

...can't be leaving those pulleys like that can we? Far too heavy, where's the lathe gone...

a bit of yellow chromate and some of Homer's 'speed holes'

I reckon that's a winner without going silly on machining time. Best get 'em machined.

More odds 'n' sods ticked off the list, this time it was the Magic Box of Ultimate Power!
Has those electrikery pixies inside. Aligns electrons in the wiring. Obviously that means it's worth at least 30bhp.

Alternatively, might just be a soft starter/fan speed controller to reduce the electrical load spikes when the fans fire up. Your choice. The pixies are more fun.
Also means they can be left on low speed just to dissipate engine bay heat in the pits instead of going flat out SO YOU CAN'T HEAR. CHECK WHAT? THE FANS ARE STILL ON, I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Wink

Bare pulleys all machined up, awaiting brazing and plating:

Small pulley brazed up - the heat required discolours and burns off the protective layer of oil on the steels - which mean the cast iron on the pulley rusted before my eyes where my fingerprints were - not much good even for mockup, so I raided my cocktails bar (Careful what you drink in my house Wink )....back in black and shiny again, crisis averted Wink

Anyway, enough pulleys for a while, they'll go off to plating later on as the front bumper and some other odds and sods need doing before paint.

The guy that was sorting the fibreglass bonnet out has vanished into the aether so we've put that bonnet to one side (as it's full of filler and sealing bits to take a mould from), really haven't got time to be knocking moulds up ourselves at the minute so out comes the ally sheet and another bonnet made just to tide us over so we're not taking another 6 months to get it moving:

Due to ongoing lack of shiny pictures, found some I hadn't posted from few years ago when it was running at Kirton.
It looks like it was fun when it actually moved. Not sure if I remember that bit....

Email me!
Posted 14th Mar 2017 at 16:53
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #599
A while back there was a bit of a discussion about why we didn't use the Corsa electric power steering column or similar, the same as much of the rally guys use - and as I've said before the reason we don't was the shock loadings that kind of system inflicts on not just the column joints but the rack and pinion itself too, along with a few other minor issues.

Unfortunately the owner of one of the 4wd cars listened to some of the hype about them whilst having his engine wound up a bit by a local firm, and had the conversion carried out. He liked it initially. Then the steering got vague. Then the car started wandering, and eventually it started making strange noises up front. So it along with many other parts came up for some repairs:

Anyway here's the rack after 5 events with it fitted (compared to ~8 years previously with no issues) - check out the width of the teeth in the middle:

I'm also pretty sure there shouldn't be a gap here - there wasn't when it came off the milling machine!

Anyway, repairs are at hand:

I keep pressing 'print' and all that happens is a picture comes out, not a nice steel rack. Must be something wrong with my printer. Sad

Perspex steering rack cases, you saw 'em here first.

Soon to adorn every stanced showcar in the land!
I blame late night modelling sessions and lack of coffee.

Whilst that was going on the end fell off the dry sump pump on the buggy - whoops!

It had an issue with too much endfloat, luckily I walked past it and it fell back together again. Better put it on the car before anything else happens to it...

(The endfloat issue was that ball bearing there - there was a flat spot on the outer race and some spalling, possibly had a knock in storage/transit as it's been there since we got it).
Whist I was on with that Ed had started on a few cage/chassis additions - however, I know we're in a rush, but I'm pretty sure that two pieces of blue painters tape don't conform to the MSA A-pillar regs...

That painters tape is good stuff, it expands overnight!

Few more safety additions to the cage, triangulating (well, as close as we can get) the front a-pillars. Gussets going in underneath shortly to spread the load down the cross.

Email me!
Posted 15th Mar 2017 at 18:28
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #600
Looks brilliant Thumbs up
Always amazed at your development Phil
Posted 15th Mar 2017 at 18:47

Pages (27): first .. 23 [24] 25 .. last