displaying posts 76 to 87 of 87

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]

Author Subject: GE Quickshift
nick!

Seasoned Pro

Post #76
I have a B&M quickshift fitted, much like the Compbrake one.

You have to get under the car and unclamp the middle section to cat/decat join to allow enough room when removing the old gearstick etc.

You then need to take off the heatshield and then undo the bolt going through the gearstick bit (no idea of technical name LOL)

Then go back into the car and undo the 4 nuts which hold it in, it will let drop down, and then you just fit the new one!

Sounds like a mission, but really isnt Smile 30mins max.

Cherry Red Rallye - 179.1bhp@fly, 148.4bhp@wheels
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 03:51
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #77
Does that time include drilling out the old bolts that you snapped when trying to remove the heatshield? Laugh my ass off

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 03:58
darkgti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #78
stu wrote:

Can anyone who has fitted the Compbrake one give some feedback?

I think Hovis16 has a compbrake jobby fitted ask himWink

Team Peugeot Sport 308 Gti�

Black T'99 Gti - may she rest in peace - written off in a shunt on the A329m
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 17:27
craigy_87

Seasoned Pro

Post #79
think you have to do something with the reverse cable aswell
oh an sure i read somewhere about the grub screws being poor and abit of thread lock needed to keep them in place dont quote that mind
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 17:57
lotek

Seasoned Pro

Post #80
darkgti6 wrote:
stu wrote:

Can anyone who has fitted the Compbrake one give some feedback?

I think Hovis16 has a compbrake jobby fitted ask himWink

his was a pain in the arse! constanly came loose,! CONSTANTLY !, i think hes managed to modify it now so that it doesent, but the difference it makes when its not loose is great Yes
Posted 15th Nov 2009 at 22:16
nick!

Seasoned Pro

Post #81
bonzo wrote:
Does that time include drilling out the old bolts that you snapped when trying to remove the heatshield? Laugh my ass off

LOL forgot about those...... 2 of mine snapped, rusted to buggery!

Cherry Red Rallye - 179.1bhp@fly, 148.4bhp@wheels
Posted 16th Nov 2009 at 02:04
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #82
nick! wrote:
bonzo wrote:

LOL forgot about those...... 2 of mine snapped, rusted to buggery!

I've done as little as knock my heatshield with my arm, whilst removing the cat and a nut with half a severely rusted bolt pinged off!LOL

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 16th Nov 2009 at 05:38
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #83
24seven wrote:
This is insane! I'm no weakling but ffs I can't budge the thing!

faggotLOL

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 17th Nov 2009 at 03:58
jam7922

Regular

Post #84
I got the compbrake qs and had lots of trouble getting it into gear afterwards (not impressed initially), gear lever kept sliding down which is not so good far from home. Eventually I got it welded to the gear lever and fitted adjustable gear linkages which allowed each gear to engage properly. Overall it was pain in the ass doing it but its still there.
To be safe I got a replacement from pugplus to return to standard just incase ha, hope this helps
Posted 18th Nov 2009 at 06:00
winno

Junior User

Post #85
I picked up a brand new and unused GE quickshifter through ebay from a local Aussie Pugger for about AU$3 (yes, that's three dollars).
(I also got in the same action a floor mounted quick shifter as well for the gear stick. It's for the 5 speed though as it doesn't account for the reverse gear cable)

My GE unit took about 15 mins to fit and whilst it was a tight fit with all the piping and other stuff above the linkages, it wasn't too hard.

Key things;
1. once the old linkage is off, make sure you clean the gear selector and ball end properly. They get very dirty - mine had dirty oil, etc all over it. Throttle body cleaner and then metho had it looking like new with no greasy residue.
2. Locktite the GE linkage where it clamps around the gear selector - I used what I had handy (blue)
3. USE THE CORRECT TOOLS!!! I used an 8mm ratchet socket and a 4mm hex key. This will allow you to get the pinch bolt done up properly tight. I used a flat bladed screw driver leveraged off the engine to pry off the socket from the gear selector.

I hear that many people have issues in the past with these things coming loose, etc.
Follow these rules and you'll have no issues at all.

Shifting is now short and slick and fast - awesome!

'99 306Gti
Posted 20th Nov 2009 at 15:42
billyboy99

Seasoned Pro

Post #86
sorry to revive this badboy but am looking to get the 306 GE shortshift for £20, I just took my previous shortshifter out as it was shit/notchy (will try and get a pic of it up), am not really liking the current gearbox throw lengths. want to put a GE in instead. losing too much precious time between 1st and 2nd.

have read previous posts where there are mixed reviews on the new model quickshift compared to the older ones which everyone liked (but this was back in 2008/09)

Could anyone advise if this one currently on the website for sale is the newer one that people have experienced slipping with...or alternatively has anyone got this current one, how is it?

Thanks all y'all
Posted 13th Jul 2011 at 20:48
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #87
What design was your old one? All the Q/S work on the same idea of moving the gear-rod on the gearbox selector shaft,
But if moving that much I;d check all the bush;s as a good std shift is fine I think

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 14th Jul 2011 at 01:58

Pages (4): first .. 2 3 [4]