displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Radiator fan on 306 s16 not working...
lank

Regular

Post #1
Hi all, I have a problem with my cooling fan on my s16. The fan does not cut in when the engine reaches the right temperature.

The fan does work as we have put power to the relay and it when we do, the fan goes. THe temp sensor to start the fan isnt in the radiator like other phase 1 306's, instead i believe it is taken from one of the sensors on the thermostat housing. the brown one seems to be the stop and temperature warning lights on the dashboard, I THINK the blue one operates the gauge on the dashboard, and the green on I THINK sends a reading to the ecu.

I am unsure how the fan is started in this car, we have tried taking readings from all the sensors' plugs, and none seem to feed to the relay for the fan. We were going to put a sensor in the radiator and wire it straight to the fan, making a simple temp circuit, but if we could fix it to run how it should originally I would prefer it. ANy information on this would be great.

Oh yeh, the car is not air conditioned, as i read that air con models differ with the fan setup.

thanks

1995 306 S16 for the track
1997 306 GTi-6 for the road
S16 - T16 conversion coming soon....
Posted 16th Jun 2008 at 16:11
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
If it's the same as my S16 (96) then the brown sensor goes to a Bitron unit that is mounted under the passenger wing (bolted to the under side of the chassis leg).

Basically it's the same setup as the aircon cars. it could be the wiring harness anywhere between the relays and the brown sensor though or the bitron unit itself.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 16th Jun 2008 at 18:19
lank

Regular

Post #3
thanks mate, sounds similar to mine. any pics or wiring diagrams of the bitron unit and how to locate it?

Posted 16th Jun 2008 at 19:43
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've got the wiring diagram for it yeah, but it's on auto data so I need to work out how to get a copy of it for you thats readable, but i've got to go out now so i will try and do it this evening.

The bitron unit is mounted to the underside of the chassis leg, you should be able to get to it by removing the passenger side wheel and arch liner but to get the best access to it it is best to remove the bumper. It just looks like a small black box with loads of wires plugged into it.

When I've got time I forget what I wanted to do, and when I remember what I wanted to do, I have no time!
Posted 16th Jun 2008 at 20:11
lank

Regular

Post #5
cheers, i have autodata too, but cant seem to find the right wiring diagram for the s16, there are a few to choose from and neither of them seem to be correct..

will have a look for this bitron unit tonight, i still have the gti6 in the garden that i broke, chances are there is one stil on that!

Posted 16th Jun 2008 at 22:26
dan_s16

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
ok if you've got auto data try this:

click on what ever year your car is, then peugeot, then 306, then 2.0 16V

It should then come up with a list of engine codes.

You want either XU10J4 (RFT) or XU10J4 (RFY), check you chassis code to see which one.

Now click on wiring diagrams then air condition (it doesn't matter if you car has aircon or not. then sellect the one which matches you car, i.e 1 fan or 2 (our cars generally have the 30fuse box fitted).

Once you've clicked on one it will open a wiring diagram, double check the right year is sellected in the top left corner.

Now just under the year sellection it says AC air mix control motor, drop down that list and look for A95 Engine coolant blower control module. Thats the bitron unit with all the wires labeled etc.

HTH

Posted 18th Jun 2008 at 04:32
minordelay

Post #7
Hi Guys

I'm sorting out a cooling fan problem on one of these for a mate. It looks to me as if the Bitron unit has been cut away. If anyone has one for sale I'd be interested.

A copy of a good wiring diagram would be useful too.

Cheers

Nigel
Posted 7th Feb 2011 at 18:44
minordelay

Post #8
Hey I found the bitron unit complete with a big hole in it taped into the loom.

Autodata not helping me much.

A copy of a decent wiring diagram would really help if anyone can help me.

Cheers

Nigel
Posted 8th Feb 2011 at 02:36