displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: exhaust knocing
gti6mark

Regular

Post #1
well have a group n rally exhaust(omp make) and its started knocking on the underside of my car seems to becoming from right underneath my gear stick area, its a cat back with the middle and back box, iv altered it once before and now its doing it again any ideas? could the cat be affecting the flow of a quite high flowing exhaust? which in turn making it jolt around a bit?

whatta beast!
Posted 17th May 2008 at 16:39
antn1.b

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
my cat used to foul on the heat shield under the seat which you could feel through the gear stick, i fixed mine with a decat but it looked like it could be twisted away from it. might be worth a look?
Posted 20th May 2008 at 01:27
gti6mark

Regular

Post #3
iv been underneath, and where the middle silencer box is the heat shield so close to the but i find the extreme movement in the exhaust quite bizarre! its literally moving over a cm!!!

whatta beast!
Posted 20th May 2008 at 05:43
cescnathan

Regular

Post #4
i've got the same situation, after centre and real exhausts replaced, knock sound still appeared underneath the gear stick. then i requested to change the middle box again (under warranty), but it's no help after installed another one.

i'll check the cat and the ring between cat and manifold tomorrow to see any leak on them.

it's really annoying!!
Posted 4th Jun 2010 at 11:06
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
bottom engine mount probably fooked Thumbs up

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 4th Jun 2010 at 12:43
cescnathan

Regular

Post #6
thanks for yr advise mate!

i'll go check the mount together.
Posted 4th Jun 2010 at 12:57
tarret

Regular

Post #7
mine knocks from same place, ive found out that its my center section bracket, the one from the car and the zorst are like very close and knock on occasions.
Posted 5th Jun 2010 at 01:04
dragoon

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
almost the same problem here, mine knocks on the subframe (all engine mounts have been renewed)

can't really find the cause Sad

Team Wheelwhore
Team Limited Edition

Astor 306 Francorchamps RIP
Virtual Blue 208 GTi

quote:
I Love this place. So many illiterate deluded fool's acting 'ard . . . and so many literate intelligent people to rip them apart and knock them back down again . . . ahh Cool
Posted 5th Jun 2010 at 03:34
antgti6

Post #9
hi i had the same problem with mine but in reverse only. I found it to be the aliment with the exhaust manifold after i lowered the exhuast system in order to replace the rear beam subframe mounts, it pushed the cat pipe up towards the heat sheild on the round swivel joining ends of the pipes. try loosing the clamps and re-aline the system backwoods. hope this helps
Posted 6th Jun 2010 at 23:23
cescnathan

Regular

Post #10
yeah, i remember when i changed my middle and rear exhausts, the tech. guy told me my cat was installed in a lower position. you can see the cat half or more under the car. then he ajusted the cat back to a normal position and install the new exhausts. it seems manifold from engine can be moved into a different angle.

he shaked the whole exhaust system and seems nothing detect the heat shield.

afterward, this problem appeared.

i'll will change the lower engine mount (a little crack) and adjust the cat position lower to see it can be fixed or not.
Posted 8th Jun 2010 at 22:44
cescnathan

Regular

Post #11
lower engine mount has been replaced, didn't adjust the cat to a lower position.

problem still the same, nothing improve, serious problem on heavy rainny day, big "LOK LOK" sound appear after some part of gear stick underneath get wet.

little sound "guguuuu" appear on gear shift down.

cat crack? cat position problem? exhaust back flow?

any idea?
Posted 20th Sep 2010 at 18:26
cescnathan

Regular

Post #12
finally the problem has been soloved.

it caused by the new racing exhaust mounts.

due to the racing exhaust mount is much harder than the original. exhaust sound effect go into the car in 2800rpm.

now changed back to original mounts, no knock sound anymore!

i can enjoy driving GTi6 again now! ^.^
Posted 26th Oct 2010 at 15:30