displaying posts 1 to 11 of 11

Author Subject: Clutch cable change - simple step by step guide
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
1. Jack up the car and take off the undertray if you have one ? LOL ! And take the Drivers side wheel off.

2. Remove the gear box end part of the cable, Pull away and up. this is made a lot more easy if you remove the batt box depending, how small your hands are. (Picture Below)

3. Back inside the car, Press the clutch pedal all the way in, this should pull the cable though the bulkhead enough to dissengage the clip if yours is not broken.

Either way tie some decent strength string around the the white clip end in the car. You will use this later, about 40cm will do and make sure you tie the loose end to something like a 14mm spanner in the ring end to stop the string from dissapearing into the hole.

When you have secured the string, push the white clip down the hole as far as you can. (Picture Below)

4. Back under the car, pull the cable from the subframe. Its only held on by a push clip so nice and easy to pull off and out. (Picture Below)

5. Inside the drivers side wheel arch there is a little nut that needs taking off, as this holds the air con pipes bracket in place. Back nside the engine bay you can now pull the pipes and bracket out and upwards about 10-15mm, this gives you just enough space to get the old cable out from underneath the air con pipes. Remember to pull the fuel lines out the way which run right next to them at this point. (Pictures Below)

Air con pipes after the nut has been removed to allow some movement

6. Now you have pulled the cable out, untie the string from the old/brokrn cable to the new one. It looks tight but with a little push and shove it will come free believe me.

7. Now get your helper to take the tension on the string indside car, at this point you will have to squeeze the new cable assy back underneath the air con pipes and hope the white clip goes in first time as you have to do it blind, follow the string and you will be able to find the hole it needs to go up, the cable wont sit in the right postion to go through on its own, so you will need to wiggle it and guide it through while your mate keeps the tension on the string. Picture Below)

Also just make sure you feed each end of the new cable correctly up either side of the engine so it dosnt get caught up in any moving parts.

After that re-attach the gearbox end to the mounting bracket etc and your nearly all done.

Dont forget your undertray and air con bracket nut too.

Parts/Tools used
EURO Carparts:Clutch Cable Pt No:646735411 £15.36 and thats including VAT and a Forces discount. Same part as Peugeot but in a different bag ! LOL !

www.eurocarparts.com

I know its listed as a 306 2.0 16v XU10J4R part but it does fit our XU10J4RS engine as well.

A basic tool kit will do. Rachets and spanners are required

1 helper

I hope my write up and pictures have helped anyone doing this.

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 30th May 2008 at 03:24
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Hello mate, I'm using your instructions as we speak Wink
Got the old cable out... so having a coffee break before the REALLY fun bit commences!

You should FAQ this along with Welly's thread, they are both great guides (I'm using them both) and I have now seen why its impossible to get many pictures LOL

Cheers to you both!
Thumbs up

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 17th May 2008 at 19:54
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Hiya buddy

Glad the pictures are helping you out. the only hard part is getting the old cable out from underneath the air con pipes but once you get the bracket loose it goes in and out much easier.

Good luck, and afterwards your be able to do it within an hour if you ever ned to do it again ! LOL !

let us know how it went for you and tell me about anything i shoud/we include ?

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 17th May 2008 at 22:22
letimavit

Regular

Post #4
does it make mutch difference after putting in a new cable will it make it a bit softer?
Posted 17th May 2008 at 22:26
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
letimavit wrote:
does it make mutch difference after putting in a new cable will it make it a bit softer?

Yeah it definately was a lot softer afterwards with the new cable, well worth the fix/change IMO

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 17th May 2008 at 22:28
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I've just taken it out for a drive, I can't believe the transformation! Obviously they are self adjusting, so time will tell if I need a new clutch, but at least I will know it wasn't just the cable.

I have a rallye so I didn't need to worry about air con pipes, trouble I had was getting the white plastic clip (from the new cable) back in through that tiny hole (I swear it looks too small for the clip)!

The string snapped twice also (cant believe it, wasn't weak or thin, looked plenty strong enough, and it was all I had LOLSmile
Had a thick bit of solder wire that I used to get some more string back though so all was good! Wink

Only other trouble I had for a while was getting that white clip back on to the back of the pedal.. again just due to the lack of space and dodgy angle I had to be at.

Don't think there are any improvements to be made towards the information/ pictures to be honest mate, theres just not the space or vision of what you are doing to be able to show people! but you know roughly what your doing when you get under there don't ya!

Again cheers matey! Thumbs up

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 17th May 2008 at 22:51
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
That string problem sounded like a pain for you, I was just lucky that mine went in first time ! LOL !

Yeah it is a pain getting the clip back onto the pedal, like you said just a lack of space.

How long did it take you in the end ?

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 17th May 2008 at 22:54
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Took me probably 2 or 3 hours in the end, but thats also because I couldn't get my wheel nuts off (kwik fits fault I'm presuming - never going there again!) I had 2 peugeot wheel braces and they both bent!
My neighbour had a slightly heavier duty one from a jeep which did the trick though eventually!

I'm not very mechanically minded, so it would obviously take me a bit longer than most of the people on here!

Nice to know I can do it though!

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 17th May 2008 at 23:42
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Thats good, so i bet without the wheel nut trouble you could have done it in about 2hrs

Really good to try yourself at things like this, I hate paying a garage money for something i could do like this ! LOL !

Always a joy to do it yourself and then take her out for a drive afterwards

Well done again - next job to come as there is always something that needs doing on a six ! ha ha

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 17th May 2008 at 23:51
bonzo

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Yeah its more rewarding isn't it, and you have a bit more beer money left over at the end Big grin

Cheers again mate Wink

Ninja Black Rallye Ninja
Posted 17th May 2008 at 23:50
Welly Forum Admin

Post #11
Excellent.
Like it a lot Thumbs up

Life is a lie. The only certainty of which is death. Go live and enjoy yourself. The clock is ticking

Vrs power!!
Posted 18th May 2008 at 00:13

This thread has been locked