displaying posts 26 to 50 of 56

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: braided brake hoses
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
what was that brake pipe like to change dude?

andrew315rawson@live.co.uk
Moonstone phase 7 gti6
My Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=119992&page=1
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 06:07
birk

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Ive done the brake lines on mine before, not that hard realy.

Dimma + Gt35 turbo = Ninja
Solid rear beam mounts £130
Dan
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 15:29
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
cool

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 18:01
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
andy+katie wrote:
what was that brake pipe like to change dude?

I was replacing the flexi hoses for goodridge and rounded off the brake line nut. Ended up hack sawing it out before making up my own pipe. It is essential to make sure the pipes are perpendicular to the union. It is difficult to make up the brake pipe with the engine inplace etc.

Peugeot replacement brake pipe is a short version which comes through the bulkhead. If you want to keep original routing under the wing then
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 18:37
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
What are your braded lines attached to in your pic Neil? Reason i ask it is will probably fail the MOT if the actual brake line is not free to move without fouling anything else Yes

Just Drive It
Posted 20th Jan 2010 at 19:51
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
ffs cant belive it, decided to try and reuse the pipe today, got it tightened up only to find the pipe/nut dripping slightly when put under pressure.
bah, now i cant get it undone its just slipping the mole grips off.
bah gonna end up wasting a new braided line here.

where has people rerouted the new pipe?
is there a replacement available from pug?

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 18:55
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
rallyestyle wrote:
What are your braded lines attached to in your pic Neil? Reason i ask it is will probably fail the MOT if the actual brake line is not free to move without fouling anything else Yes

I think they are clipped to the wear indicator wires.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 21:14
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
andy+katie wrote:
ffs cant belive it, decided to try and reuse the pipe today, got it tightened up only to find the pipe/nut dripping slightly when put under pressure.

Find a route to the next connector along, measure with string then go to any local motor factors and get a pipe made up. (IIRC it costs

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 21:18
smithers

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Got this exact same job to do at the weekend, im just going to split the pipe in the wheel arch and run a new section fron there.

Did you fit the rear ones also, the two top unions on the back look a right c*nt to get to. Thumbs up

1997 Black GTi6
smithers205 at hotmail.com
Posted 21st Jan 2010 at 22:58
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
rallyestyle wrote:

It is set-up just as a standard brake line. I reused all the Peugeot bits including the rubber grommet which fixes it into the hub and the spring with the 2 plastic clips which attach to the brake wear sensor lead. Brakes did 246KgF stopping each on the MOT test which almost threw the MOT tester through the windscreen LOL
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 03:33
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
andy+katie wrote:

Pug do a replacement but it is a shortened version which comes through the hole at the top of the wing arch. I then purchased some brake line and routed it the same as the original brake lines under the wing arch. Can't stress enough to make sure the brake lines are absolutely 90 degrees to the flexihose joint. You need a special brake spanner for this job and a normal spanner will round off the brake nuts. I leaned this after I rounded it off Whistle

The short version is peugeots replacement pipe which routes through the wing arch hole and not under. I cut out the original brake line.
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 03:34
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Misc photos of making up the front brake pipes. I used sockets to form the curves.

Whistle LOL

Started at the tricky end first. Routing it around the big round compressor thing? was difficult.

It clips into the inner wing

then bend it around under the body work and clipped in place. if i was doing it again i would use silicon to stop it ceasing up.

Red Arrow: V-tight fit but pushed OEM rubber spacer over goodridge hose so brake lines do not rattle on body work.

Blue Arrow: Rubber Gromet holding flexihose into hub ... had to cut this in half to get it over the goodridge hose and then it clamps into the hub.
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 03:32
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
smithers wrote:
Got this exact same job to do at the weekend, im just going to split the pipe in the wheel arch and run a new section fron there.

Did you fit the rear ones also, the two top unions on the back look a right c*nt to get to. Thumbs up

lubricate the unions a week before you attempt the job. I had to replace the two rear pipes as they rounded off too Sad

Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 03:37
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Neil you could eat off that set up it is so clean. One day I will get round to tidying mine up. all going well mine should be going down to Lynx on the 29th.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 04:29
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
f*ck me thats clean round that car, i thought id done a good job of mine until i seen these pics.
is the brake pipe that you fitted from pug or made up at motor factors?
thanks

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 14:00
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
andy+katie wrote:
f*ck me thats clean round that car, i thought id done a good job of mine until i seen these pics.
thanks

90% of the car has been rebuilt over the last 3 years.

The rear brake pipes are new from peugeot. They come preformed and painted black. The front is just a length of brake pipe which i formed.

As a suggestion you could take the existing original brake pipe which goes under the body work and unclip it and reroute it through the inner wing/wheel arch hole (it is a shorter route) then cut it to length and buy a tool to create the unions. This saves doing the really tricky bit at the other end by the compressor.
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 19:03
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
iplay wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:

It is set-up just as a standard brake line. I reused all the Peugeot bits including the rubber grommet which fixes it into the hub and the spring with the 2 plastic clips which attach to the brake wear sensor lead. Brakes did 246KgF stopping each on the MOT test which almost threw the MOT tester through the windscreen LOL

Thats cool, as long as it passed. As smegal said it looks like you have got it clipped to the wear indicator wire to keep it tidy, i did something similar and the MOT tester told me it needed to move 100% freely without contacting any other wire or anything from full left/right lock. I guess he was just being pedantic Doh

Just Drive It
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 20:36
rallyestyle

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
smegal wrote:
Neil you could eat off that set up it is so clean. One day I will get round to tidying mine up. all going well mine should be going down to Lynx on the 29th.

Sending it to the pro hey, im amazed mine is running so faultlessly since i did it myself Crazy

Just Drive It
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 20:40
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
rallyestyle wrote:

Sending it to the pro hey, im amazed mine is running so faultlessly since i did it myself Crazy

Basically I've spent a LOT of money with Carl and wanted to try a bit of lynx. Variety being the spice of life etc. If I can just get my bloody intercooler and fans fitted and my wires extended.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 22nd Jan 2010 at 21:52
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
rallyestyle wrote:
iplay wrote:
rallyestyle wrote:

Thats cool, as long as it passed. As smegal said it looks like you have got it clipped to the wear indicator wire to keep it tidy, i did something similar and the MOT tester told me it needed to move 100% freely without contacting any other wire or anything from full left/right lock. I guess he was just being pedantic Doh

I am assuming that this is how peugeot set it up as standard? when i overhauled the brakes i used all the oem bits ... how do your sensor wires route?
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 06:04
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
I doubt he has any, the AP calipers won't use wear indicators.

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 06:35
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
iplay wrote:
andy+katie wrote:
thanks

90% of the car has been rebuilt over the last 3 years.

The rear brake pipes are new from peugeot. They come preformed and painted black. The front is just a length of brake pipe which i formed.

As a suggestion you could take the existing original brake pipe which goes under the body work and unclip it and reroute it through the inner wing/wheel arch hole (it is a shorter route) then cut it to length and buy a tool to create the unions. This saves doing the really tricky bit at the other end by the compressor.

if the tool to put the ends on the pipes isnt too dear im going to join it in thge whelel arch somewhere i think, good idea mate

Moonstone phase 7 gti6
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 06:46
smegal

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
A tool that will flare copper and cupro-nickel pipes is relatively cheap and portable, one that will do steel is about

Ex SC-6

Now in a Megane R26
Posted 23rd Jan 2010 at 06:56
buzzbrightyear

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
any idea where to get one from?
is this
one any good for the job?

or this

Moonstone phase 7 gti6