displaying posts 1 to 22 of 22

Author Subject: Rev Counter Not Working - FIXED
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Having a couple problems with the 6, rev counter's died, doesn't idle properly (will idle at 1500 constant), seems to be holding back sometimes when you put your foot right down, then'll kick in 100% for a second or so, then be slower again...

First trying to fix the rev counter: Checked/swapped the dials and they're fine, found the red wire (42something) in the loom by the airbox which is apparently signal from the ecu to the dials, read it with a multimeter and it reads 1v constant. Should it change with revs? Unsure Do I need to use the earth from the ecu too when checking?

The fuel pump doesn't seem to stop priming when you turn the key now either which may be related to the running probs...

Car's had new lambda/coolant/map plus has been pretty much completely rebuilt just 40k ago so think it's gotta be some electrical gremlins somewhere. Pretty desperate to have it going 100% for pugrun next week so any help or ideas would be much appreciated.. Sad

Plus can anyone tell me what the little black box behind the ECU does? could it be related to the fuel pump not priming properly?

Thanks...

Pics of my 6
My 6 on Google Video thanks to coxy306Xsi
Posted 11th Sep 2007 at 20:56
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Just found Smig's FAQ (Nice one dude Smile ) on the Fuel Pump Relay and ordered a new one. Will be here tomorrow but is

Pics of my 6
Posted 25th May 2007 at 22:25
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Anyone know if there's a sensor that could have failed which is used to get the engine speed? Unsure

All the rest of the dials work fine, just the rev counter's not working. Been intermittent for a week or so, now won't work at all. Sad

Pics of my 6
Posted 25th May 2007 at 23:28
bigbadbowen

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Dude check the big connection behind the rad if you have an air filter it some times rubs against the loom and screws the rev counter Wink Its on the right of the car down behind the rad can't miss it - follow it back along the wires and see if anything is broken Smile
Posted 25th May 2007 at 23:32
mabgti

NV motors

Post #5
VSS is on the gearbox. Common failure apparently. Mines intermittent at the mo. Bout

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 00:49
fletch

Track Head

Post #6
quote:
VSS is on the gearbox. Common failure apparently. Mines intermittent at the mo. Bout
Posted 26th May 2007 at 00:55
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
VSS has nothing to do with rev's, that's controlled by a signal from the ecu. You need an oscillascope (sp?) to check it properly as it works on frequency or something. It sounds like a wiring fault to me, although linked with poor running which could possibly be spark problems I'd also suspect the ecu. The fuel relay is controlled by the ecu also, so if the fuel pump's running continuously either the relay is sticking on, or the ecu is giving out faulty signals.

If you can find the wire that goes to the rev counter, attach another bit of wire with a bare end to it, and then tap the bare end to earth, you should get some (maybe only a little) movement on the rev counter.

Have you tried resetting the ecu?

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 26th May 2007 at 01:08
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #8
quote:
If you can find the wire that goes to the rev counter, attach another bit of wire with a bare end to it, and then tap the bare end to earth, you should get some (maybe only a little) movement on the rev counter.

I think you need to tap it to 12v as it has a constant earth. I had to do the above to test the rev counter in the 205, and it does work, only a little movement but enough to test that the counter itself was working fine.

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:00
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yep, tried a couple ecu resets. The wire and the plug behind the filter looks good too, unplugged them and they look clean.

The whole speed sensor thing confuses the hell out of me, The fact that the engine is running (not too badly) means the ecu itself must know the engine speed I guess, it's just not getting to the dials ok.

Found wire 426 behind the dials and multi metered it, picked up a voltage that seemed to drop consistently as the RPM's rose, but if I need a scope to read it I guess that means nothing... Unsure

Gonna fit the new fuel relay tomorrow morning and see if that cures the engine problems, if not I'll have to start looking at the ECU. Mellow

quote:

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow morning. Thumbs up

I'm also gonna try and trace wire 426 back onto the pcb of a spare set of dials I have, if I can't read the voltage I can get at the wire on the pcb I'll look for a problem inside the connector...

Thanks guys, must have jinxed it last week when I mentioned how reliable it's been. Roll eyes

Pics of my 6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:08
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
quote:
quote:

I think you need to tap it to 12v as it has a constant earth. I had to do the above to test the rev counter in the 205, and it does work, only a little movement but enough to test that the counter itself was working fine.

I'll try that too. Thumbs up

If you push it up a few k before you switch the ignition on the rev counter moves back to 0 when you turn the key, removing and replacing the Shunt Fuse (?) also moves the dials up

Pics of my 6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:12
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #11
The crank sensor is what tells the ECU what revs the engine is doing, found on the top of the gearbox, with a brown plug. However, if this was faulty, the engine would not run at all....

So it must be a wiring fault you have, probably behind the dash. Yes

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:20
mabgti

NV motors

Post #12
my bad, thought he said speedo. not ev counterSad

Team Supercharged Gti-6

NV Motorsport
Automotive Performance Tuning
0121 448 7515
ECU Remapping/ DPF removal
VAG/BMW Diag and Option Coding
Peugeot Planet ECU coding/transponder programming etc
www.nvmotorsport.com
Facebook Page
Project S6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:22
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #13
Wire 426 rings some bells as being the correct wire mate Yes

Meh

Seat Leon Cupra FR / 306 GTI6 / Breaking 205 GTI6 / Caterham 7 / Mercedes Sprinter 311CDI LWB

Sold: Fisher Fury - Laguna DCI Estate - P1 306 XSI - E30 BMW 325i Baur Convertible - Daihatsu Fourtack - Suzuki GSXR600 - 205 Rallye
Posted 26th May 2007 at 02:55
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
quote:
Wire 426 rings some bells as being the correct wire mate Yes

Dug that number up from one of your old posts LOL Thumbs up and it seems to match the haynes book of lies.

Pics of my 6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 03:03
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #15
Shock So i'm not a complete f*ckwit then? Dunno

Meh

Posted 26th May 2007 at 03:08
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
LOL Without your Pump relay FAQ and posts on that wire I'd have been pretty screwed earlier this afternoon! Clapping

Took a while to find the wire in the dash though, typical Pug style it starts off as a red wire down by the airbox, but a turns into a brown one when it goes into the blue plug behind the dials. Dry

Pics of my 6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 03:13
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
trying not to be pessimistic but I think you're ecu is knackered. If you're having running problems and you're rev counter is faulty, and you're fuel pump is doing weird things, the ecu is the only thing common to them all. It could be a coincidence, but if there's someone near by who's ecu you can borrow I'd try that before searching for wires.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 26th May 2007 at 05:43
smighall

Smeg-all

Post #18
^^Makes sense. The experience i've had with the relays is they either work or they don't no in between Sad

Unless you have a section of loom that has split and is shorting out?

Meh

Posted 26th May 2007 at 05:53
rich_w

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Wire 426 is the correct wire which carries the signal to the tacho. Pete's right, you need an oscilloscope to meter the signal, as would do to determine injector duty cycle etc

It should be 30Hz at idle, and 100Hz at 3000RPM.

From the problems your having I would suggest a bad earth to the ECU. Either that, or as Pete said your ECU is a gonner.

Check the ECU earth which is on top of the gearbox, and check the bonding earth between the gearbox and the chassis.

Have you had your engine bay cleaned or anything lately?

I would also check the condition of terminals/pins on the ECU and loom connector.

Contact Details:

rich@lynxpowerengineering.co.uk
07732 822546

Posted 26th May 2007 at 06:05
anderoo

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
Got to Pug this morning, fitted the fuel pump relay and the car's back working 100% Huh?

Pump stops priming, Rev counter works, engine pulls hard all the time and idles at ~900rpm again.

Switched the old relay back in there just to confirm it's the problem and the rev counter stops working and the other problems come back so I'm 100% confident it's definitely the cause.

I'll let those who know the engine better than me work out what's happening but needless to say I'm chuffed! Especially after I got a price on the ECU at Pug and it came back as

Pics of my 6
Posted 26th May 2007 at 18:37
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #21
Glad you got it all sorted mate, weird running faults for a fuel pump relay to be the culprit.....but at least its up and running. Yes Thumbs up

Stan.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 27th May 2007 at 02:46
MCH_GTi6

formerly mch

Post #22
Glad I found this thread! (see search does work lol)...

I just had the exact same, Engine idling high, no rev counter and fuel pump staying on... however it seemed to run fine other than that...

My main fuel relay had split and was full of water though... lucky I had 3 spares, swapped it over and all sorted.

Team Moonstone� Ph3 GTI6
Team Rallye
Posted 15th Dec 2011 at 11:53