displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Vacuum Pump replacement FAQ
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
This is another easy job that I asked questions on to find out how to do (thanks Stan, Platinum6 and mdb_75), and decided that when I did the job I would take some pics to FAQ it and help others Smile

Why would you want to change this?

My car developed a loud rattle that sounded like it was coming from the head. It would start off if you revved the engine, and returned to idle. There would be a tapping sound for about 3-6 seconds and then it would go quiet again.

I took my car to see Mechanical_Repairs so he could hear this noise and he instantly said Vacuum pump - but nothing to worry about. He checked it was still creating a vacuum by removing the rubber bung from the hoses nearby and you would feel it was sucking (circled yellow in post 3).

The noise became too annoying for me and seemed to coincide with my car starting up then stopping.

After reading pages 39-41 of the service guide charlie had referred to in another thread, I found out that leaks in the vacuum system can be responsible for frequent stalling/cutting out, high idle speeds, erratic idling, poor idling, knocking, engine starting issues, overheating, CO levels being too low, lack of power at high speed and misfires!

So if leaks can cause that then I suppose a broken vacuum pump could also cause some of those issues as well. As the part is about 180 pounds from peugeot it would not be the first thing I would recommend replacing to fix the above issues, but Carl told me that it is the same Vac pump on all models of 306 so finding a second hand one shouldn't be too difficult.

The Vacuum pump is actually used in the braking system.

So thats the blabbing out the way - on to the FAQ!

Parts:

Vac Pump 4565.52 (cheers Cosmic Spanner)
(optional) large O ring seal 455605 - 53p
(optional) small ring seal 455607 - £2.51

Tools

6mm Alan Key
Cross Head screwdriver

Im not sure if new ones come with the o rings on them. I replaced the ones that were on the second hand pump I bought.

First leave your car to stand for a good few hours. As this is in the head, you must allow oil to return to the sump otherwise it will be very messy!

Use a small screwdriver or fingernails to carefully remove the old seals from the pump. The little one is a bit fiddly and snapped while I was removing it. The replacement seals fit on easily.

justinaccurate has attached the following image:

Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 22:15
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Its a good idea to disconnect the plug where the vacuum system goes into the manifold. Theres a little plastic catch you push in and then it just slides off. This hose may also be clipped to your engine in other places so just unclip it. You'll need the slack for the next part!

Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 02:40
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Next remove the hose from the pump. (cyan circle) This is the only real difficult bit. Loosen the Jubilee clip and slide it up the hose to the other jubilee clip. Twist and tug the hose off the pump (its on very tight and the angles not too easy!).

Probably going to get shot down for saying this but I used a chisel in the gap to help ease it out (still twisting and pulling on the hose). I wouldnt use a screwdriver as the last thing you want to do is put any sort of tear in the rubber. A chisel is nice and wide and shouldnt cut into the rubber if you use it right.

When it is removed, wedge it out of the way and remove the two bolts circled red. Put some tissue beneath the pump in case there is any oil left in it. There shouldnt be much if any.

The pump will not just drop off, so slowly work it off the block by rotating it slightly and pulling it.

When putting the replacement on, make sure you line up the keyway.

Do the bolts back up, replace the hose and tighten the jubilee clip back on. Might be worth tightening other jubilee clips on the vac system as well.

Clip the hose back to the manifold and job done!

*EDIT* The bit below the Yellow circle is known as an "amplifier Valve" £17 from pug

Posted 18th Apr 2007 at 06:45
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
if anyone can tell me the part number for the vac pump or add anything Ive missed, I'll edit my posts before asking for it to be FAQd
Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 02:45
charlie

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I wonder if any of these from GSF would work?

quote:
N18886 VACUUM PUMP 306 D/TD 97> 94.00 Add
N18880 VACUUM PUMP 306 1.9D/TD >3/97 CAM DRIVEN 130.00 Add
N18884 VACUUM PUMP 306 19D/TD 97> (NOT HDI) CAM DRIVEN 98.00 Add
Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 02:57
justinaccurate

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Hmmm. They are all TD ones listed. Im sure carl told me its the same thing on all models of 306.
Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 03:59
charlie

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Or how about these?

quote:
N18884 VACUUM PUMP XSARA 1.9D/TD >97 98.00 Add
N18886 VACUUM PUMP XSARA D/TD 97> 94.00 Add

It's just "N18880 VACUUM PUMP 306 1.9D/TD >3/97 CAM DRIVEN 130.00 Add" that is different Unsure
Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 04:19
cosmic spanner

Moral objector

Post #8
My parts CD also lists more than one part number. For the diesel engines at least they're Magnetti Marelli, Bendix instead of Pierburg for GTI6..whether or not there's any other actual difference between them I couldn't say.

Here's the the part listed for the XU10J4RS :

4565.52 - VACUUM PUMP (PIERBURG) Thumbs up

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch..
..Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Project é - my 306 project thread.
Posted 7th Apr 2007 at 18:55

This thread has been locked